phone heating up.

djspy

Reaction score
The past few days I've noticed my phone getting kind of toasty. I've been using it like I always do. Right now my battery is at a temperature of 106. I have 4 strong 4G bars like always. My battery has been quite bad today. I usually hit 90% with an hour of screen time. Today I hit that at 32 minutes. Again, my normal usage of texting, Facebook and web browsing. When I use YouTube or Netflix the battery heats up. Didn't notice this before. The only new thing I've done to this phone is install safe strap and install the Android 4.2 keyboard. Oh and I cleared cache and dalvik cache. But I have been noticing the extra heat and slight decrease in battery life. I did an FDR 3 weeks ago for the battery problems and my phone went back to normal.

StanH

Reaction score
The past few days I've noticed my phone getting kind of toasty.
Your phone has a lithium ion battery. I don't know much about the phone's battery details but I have some electric model airplanes with lithium ion batteries. Under some conditions the cheap ones that I use can burst into flames. That can happen if the battery is damaged and discharges too fast -- like a leak between cells. Or if it charges too fast -- like with damage to the electronics that controls charging/discharging rates.

If I were you, when leaving the phone unattended, I would consider putting it in something that won't burn -- like a glass or ceramic bowl -- until you can find out what the problem is.

Check out the grounding of Boeing's fleet of 787 Dreamliners for their lithium ion batteries.

A Quick Fix For Boeing's Battery Woes - IEEE Spectrum

Last edited:
OP
djspy

djspy

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply and I will take your advice. I'll continue monitoring and if the problem persists I'll call Verizon tech support.

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
The past few days I've noticed my phone getting kind of toasty. I've been using it like I always do. Right now my battery is at a temperature of 106. I have 4 strong 4G bars like always. My battery has been quite bad today. I usually hit 90% with an hour of screen time. Today I hit that at 32 minutes. Again, my normal usage of texting, Facebook and web browsing. When I use YouTube or Netflix the battery heats up. Didn't notice this before. The only new thing I've done to this phone is install safe strap and install the Android 4.2 keyboard. Oh and I cleared cache and dalvik cache. But I have been noticing the extra heat and slight decrease in battery life. I did an FDR 3 weeks ago for the battery problems and my phone went back to normal.
Have you checked to see what apps or widgets are eating your battery? It sounds like you have an app or two continuously running and perhaps sycning data...Faceboot is notorious for that. Go to settings, battery and see what apps/function are using the most battery. Typically your display should be #1, then OS, then Cell standy and so forth. Also, got to setting>apps>running and see what apps are listed as running. You might be surprised that you have apps running and you don't even know it. If there are apps running that you don't use you maybe able to disable them, or if rooted freeze them. To disable go to settings>apps>uninstall updates for that app>then see if the disable option is available. Many of the Moto and Verizon preloaded apps can be disabled.

OP
djspy

djspy

Reaction score
OK, I think I may have found the problem. Or it was just coincidence. I had suspicions that it was because I erased cache and dalvik cache so phone was working extra to rebuild them. I mentioned that I installed the 4.2 keyboard so I went ahead and disabled the stock Android keyboard that came with the phone and ever since then everything has gone back to normal. Great battery and no more heat problems. It may have been the keyboards clashing or the phone had finished settling down from the cache wipes. What ever it was, everything is back to normal in the land of the great DROID RAZR Maxx HD.

jaydub5

Reaction score
Spy guy... have you tried SwiftKey? I am amazed by it's Capabilities. The new FLOW is incredible... reads my mind. Try it! BTW, I wrote this with Flow!