Phone gets hot while tethering

Randy72560

Reaction score
Jusr curious if anyone else has this issue. I get a "Warning" message that the phone temp is high and it is cooling down...I'm using Foxfi, full version. Phone isn't rooted yet, I really want to go back and use this tethering/wifi app, but I couldn't get it to work when I rooted my phone.

https://code.google.com/p/android-wifi-tether/

^^^ Is a great app, no idea why it won't work even after I'm rooted? Any ideas?

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I've used several tether apps but the old tried and true, tether app no longer works on my Galaxy S4. I never bothered to figure out why. I just switched to another app that works.

Also my S4 has gotten quite hot while tethering at times, 160°+ but I have never seen a warning for Phone temp to high. Then again. I'm also running an older version of Android, 4.2.2.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
From my experience, tethering apps get the phone to run quite hot. Phone also tends to get warm when using data on it for extended periods of time so having it get hot while tethering is understandable.

HarvesterX™

Reaction score
One of the fastest ways to drain your battery is by constantly keeping connections open sensing and receiving data. Apps normally create algorithms which queue up data so that bursts of data can be sent at a time (or received) and focusing on keeping the connection open for as short a time as possible.

There are quite a few methods of doing this, but when it comes to tethering apps the device on the other end sending and receiving data doesn't care about how long your data connection is open for. You PC has no awareness that it's tethering from a mobile phone (or whatever device it is) so you're constantly straining your CPU.

Straining may not be the best word because it kind I'd sounds like after a while you can break something after straining it hard enough eh? :) Well I guess technically you can wear down your device and shorten it's life span by doing this daily but let's say instead, you're constantly flexing that big CPU muscle of yours to show off to the ladies.

Continuous movement creates friction creates heat which warms your muscles up. Yeah this is probably more than you needed to know but I'm in a giving mood. Any mobile device will get hotter and hotter over time with continous "flexing" of that CPU and eventually hopefully will throttle your speeds down some to compensate. Otherwise it'll eventually reboot itself once it gets too hot. No harm done. Hopefully no harm done...well maybe hopefully with a slim chance of no harm done.

Actually it's more like an ever growing collection of hydrogen gas slowly being pulled in and squeezed together so tight that exponentially that the internal heat increases so much causing these hydrogen molecules to fly around faster and faster until eventually they are moving with so much energy that they overcome their natural tendency to repel each other and start colliding into each other causing a chain reaction of hydrogen molecules fusing together.

No wait, that's how a proto-star ends up turning nuclear and becoming a fully functioning star. In all actuality I believe you'd end up burning your battery up and needing a battery replacement before burning your CPU if you kept you device that hot on a day to day basis, especially if outside in the summer time. Unless you have a Samsung device I doubt it'll burst into flames causing 3rd degree burn to your children (yes Samsung... I said it).

:)

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Back when I had my Rezound and Inc, both made great hand warmers when tethering, I started using foxfi via Bluetooth and that cured the heat and instantaneous battery drain. It's not as fast as full blown tether but MUCH more battery friendly

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

OP
Randy72560

Randy72560

Reaction score
LOL @HarvesterX Good stuff man. And yeah I figured it was normal. My last phone was a droid razr maxx - Rooted, and used for a hotspot in my house. One night a few weeks ago, someone set a bunch of papers on my phone, it got SUPER hot, and my battery "expanded" and damn near killed my phone. I started losing net, which alerted me to the issue, but warped the phone.

It stayed working tho for the most part. then I got the S4 -

We live in the damn boonedocks, so they best net I can get is 4g lte around here - Plus I have unlimited data grandfathered in, so ya know.

OP
Randy72560

Randy72560

Reaction score
Oh and yea, unlike tghe razr maxx, my new phone gives me a warning and starts colling itself down, even shutting the phone down if needed. No clue why the maxx didn't do that. I know my old bionic did/does