Phone didn't work internationally

Reaction score
I have a verizon Droid Maxx running 4.4.

I went on an international trip and the phone was set up with Verizon to roam and all the settings were set to allow phone to roam, use data internationally etc.

I went to a few countries in Europe and every single time the following occured

1) The phone wouldn't connect to any network
2) The APN (access point name) was blank - no entry at all. I would then go into and choose reset to default
3) I would have relogin to all my gmail accounts on the phone
4) I would get an email from Google about New sign-in from Motorola Ultra
5) Avast Anti theft would send an email saying the SIM card number had changed with a new IMSI. I didn't change any SIM cards - had the same Verizon SIM card from the US the entire time

This happened every single time I went to a new country. The APN would be blank all over again. I never tried to connect to wifi (as I read some posts about that causing issues with this Android OS).

Did anyone else have issues traveling internationally and is there any way to prevent this?

Thanks

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
So you actually contacted Verizon beforehand and had them activate an international calling plan of some type, or did you just change the settings in your phone and hope for the best? Being that Verizon uses a CDMA network and most of the world is on GSM, so you would have needed to use an international sim card in order for it to connect.

S5 tap'n

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
I thought VZW phones now have dual radios.. or did I make that up????

SMYDSMITH

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Turbo 2
It seems the newer phones don't come w dual radios a feature i miss as volte has a lot of drawbacks in comparison to the stability of 2 radios

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Most newer devices do, (my S5 does) but you still need to contact your carrier and have them either activate international calling, or give you a SIM to use while overseas.
I recently experienced this when trying to contact a forum friend in France from our S3 forum. (That was a mouth full! LOL)
Once I contacted Verizon, and they flipped whatever switch on their end and temporarily changed my plan to add Intl calling, my call was able to go through. Obviously it's different if you're actually in another country, but you still have to contact Verizon as it won't "automatically" work if you normally only make calls within the US.

S5 tap'n

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I thought VZW phones now have dual radios.. or did I make that up????
The Droid Maxx does, which is the phone the OP mentioned using on their trip.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Reactions: cr6
OP
curious_george
Reaction score
Yes - contacted Verizon. Phone has an international SIM and GSM frequencies.

The phone did connect after I went through all the steps I had listed - which it wouldn't have if it didn't have GSM bands.

Any ideas?

Thanks

themib

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4 (XT894)