Phone Deductible!

tyvin

Reaction score
It seems both Droid X2 had problems at about the same time. My son dropped his and the screen shattered. I thought that's alright; I'm insured on both phones. I call and set up everything (the insurance company was so sweet almost cloyingly sweet) and then the insurance company wants $99 (Surprise!). What...no one said anything about any deductible? It's the principal really...I can see shipping and handling but I was paying $12 a month per phone and now 1 1/2 years later they want more! Nice little set up. Anyway, my son who is a teenager likes how I fixed his phone with clear shipping tape. Cut out a piece the size of the screen and it's rock solid. The next day my phone started making this funny sound...the internal speakers blew somehow.

When it rains it pours. I can upgrade in 5 months, why would I want to spend all that money for new phones now. Looks like it's a good thing I kept the original Droids. But I can't talk my son into giving up his phone. He says the screen adds character...I have to agree. If you didn't know he had a shattered screen you would think it's wallpaper. In my disgust of the insurance company I cancelled the insurance; no going back now. I guess we'll sit tight until upgrade time. I called Verizon to see if I could get an early upgrade (they let me upgrade early before) and that was a giant no can do. I'm not going to change to my original Droid either. We'll just hobble along with our injured DriodX2s and be happy life is grand.

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
While it may seem a bit high and unreasonable, I highly doubt that the deductible is not in the insurance papers. It's been $100 for years now, nothing new.

pistacio

Reaction score
You could send in your non-physically damaged phone to Motorola repair for just the cost of shipping if its still in warranty....

Sent from my XT862 using Tapatalk 2

OP
tyvin

tyvin

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses...I've had insurance on my cells for years now and never had to use it. No ones ever said anything about what I call the deductible. Also, I've always bought the insurance over the phone and have never seen a contract. I could go look it up but why wouldn't they tell people about the deductible upfront is my question. Oh well...

I fooled around with the speakers on mine and Voila they are back to normal (hmmm); anyway my son likes his screen, can't talk him into replacing it. The thing is all this time when ever I bought the insurance it's always been "oh yea, if anything goes wrong we'll replace it." You think they should add "there's also a deductible attached to this policy?" I think they should. It's almost can I say... shady.

Thank you for the link pistacio.:)

Beka27

Reaction score
Well, now you know, I guess. I'm not sure why you're paying $12 a month per phone. I thought Asurion was $6 or $7 for everyone? I haven't needed insurance (k.o.w.) but I know others who have and they were happy to pay $99 for the replacement. It beats dropping another $700. Your other option is buying used.

pistacio

Reaction score
^agreed^

Although, now, it seems cheaper to buy a device outright....

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Caesars

Reaction score
You would be surprised how many people don't know about the deductible or act like. Obviously it's usually assumed that with the insurance, a deductible exists. However the reps often don't mention it, or at least a communication breakdown occurs. The company i used to work for made people sign off that they understand about the deductible, people would still argue the point. It's just one of those things that is so normal, it's often overlooked :(.

Googorola MAXX

Beka27

Reaction score
You would be surprised how many people don't know about the deductible or act like. Obviously it's usually assumed that with the insurance, a deductible exists. However the reps often don't mention it, or at least a communication breakdown occurs. The company i used to work for made people sign off that they understand about the deductible, people would still argue the point. It's just one of those things that is so normal, it's often overlooked :(.

Googorola MAXX

Well, that's just it... it is so normal to have a deductible, that maybe they don't mention it every time you call up. When I first started service thru VZW, they told me about the insurance, the monthly cost, AND the $50 deductible. I agreed to add it to both lines.

When they changed the terms a couple years later (a lower monthly cost, but increased $99 deductible), they sent communication to both of us (two separate letters with our respective names on them sent via US mail) AND they sent a copy to my email address on file. I couldn't ignore the changes. They made them very, very visible. If I had an issue with any of the terms, they also provided a phone number I could call to cancel on each and every communication.

In addition to all of the official outlets, I'm a regular on various tech websites, including this forum. This is the first thread I remember seeing EVER where the OP was "shocked" by the $99 deductible. People routinely drop their phones in toilets, get them stolen, run them over with cars, etc... and if they have insurance they always know their two options: pay the $99 or get something used online.

Without a deductible, people would be replacing phones for very minor issues: A tiny scratch, for example. The $99 should serve as a "last resort". And you can usually always get $100 for a used phone on Craigslist, so that pays for your deductible when you get something new.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I see the point on the deductible... however, I think that as the phone model gets older, the deductible should shrink accordingly.. just my $.02

Caesars

Reaction score
Well, that's just it... it is so normal to have a deductible, that maybe they don't mention it every time you call up. When I first started service thru VZW, they told me about the insurance, the monthly cost, AND the $50 deductible. I agreed to add it to both lines.

When they changed the terms a couple years later (a lower monthly cost, but increased $99 deductible), they sent communication to both of us (two separate letters with our respective names on them sent via US mail) AND they sent a copy to my email address on file. I couldn't ignore the changes. They made them very, very visible. If I had an issue with any of the terms, they also provided a phone number I could call to cancel on each and every communication.

In addition to all of the official outlets, I'm a regular on various tech websites, including this forum. This is the first thread I remember seeing EVER where the OP was "shocked" by the $99 deductible. People routinely drop their phones in toilets, get them stolen, run them over with cars, etc... and if they have insurance they always know their two options: pay the $99 or get something used online.

Without a deductible, people would be replacing phones for very minor issues: A tiny scratch, for example. The $99 should serve as a "last resort". And you can usually always get $100 for a used phone on Craigslist, so that pays for your deductible when you get something new.

Does Verizons asurion option allow you to keep the old phone?

Googorola MAXX

Beka27

Reaction score
Does Verizons asurion option allow you to keep the old phone?

Googorola MAXX

No. You receive a used phone, send your phone back in and they "refurb" it, and that phone enters into "CLNR" (Certified Like New Replacement) rotation. The exception is if your phone is stolen, in which case the ESN is flagged and it can no longer be activated.

Beka27

Reaction score
I see the point on the deductible... however, I think that as the phone model gets older, the deductible should shrink accordingly.. just my $.02

I agree. That would make sense. My brother's DX was stolen this past spring. He filed with Asurion, paid the $99 deductible and received another DX (he was eligible for upgrade but was holding out for the S3). But when he did get the S3, he was able to sell the DX with some accessories for $120, so he made his money back.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Smart of him :)