Performance w/LauncherPro

Deidein

Reaction score
I adore LauncherPro. I bought the paid version just to support it. Let me share a juicy tidbit with you all, if you don't know about it...

There's another item in the AppBrain market called LauncherPro Icons or Launcher Pro Icons, I can't remember which... anyways, its $1.49 for a program that lets you choose a bunch of custom icons and docks for the dock at the bottom. What it doesn't tell the leyman is that it is simply an app that links you to the website on which said icons/docks are, and that you don't need to have the app in order to download/apply them.

Custom docks and icons (the same exact ones this app offers) can be found at LauncherPro Icons | Custom Android app icons for the awesome LauncherPro home screen replacement and you can download them right from the phone, or to your SD card through your computer, and apply them using the existing LauncherPro settings. Or you can do what I did to find this out - install the paid app, take every single dock and icon, then uninstall the app - the pictures remain on the SD card after uninstall.

EDIT: Re: those of you having problems with LauncherPro launching when hitting the home key - Just curious, did you look at the options at Menu Key > Preferences > Behavior Settings ? I have Home key to default screen checked on mine, and have had no issues. You can choose from a number of options for what the home key does there.

Last edited:

jonfhancock

Reaction score
I adore LauncherPro. I bought the paid version just to support it. Let me share a juicy tidbit with you all, if you don't know about it...

There's another item in the AppBrain market called LauncherPro Icons or Launcher Pro Icons, I can't remember which... anyways, its $1.49 for a program that lets you choose a bunch of custom icons and docks for the dock at the bottom. What it doesn't tell the leyman is that it is simply an app that links you to the website on which said icons/docks are, and that you don't need to have the app in order to download/apply them.

Custom docks and icons (the same exact ones this app offers) can be found at LauncherPro Icons | Custom Android app icons for the awesome LauncherPro home screen replacement and you can download them right from the phone, or to your SD card through your computer, and apply them using the existing LauncherPro settings. Or you can do what I did to find this out - install the paid app, take every single dock and icon, then uninstall the app - the pictures remain on the SD card after uninstall.

EDIT: Re: those of you having problems with LauncherPro launching when hitting the home key - Just curious, did you look at the options at Menu Key > Preferences > Behavior Settings ? I have Home key to default screen checked on mine, and have had no issues. You can choose from a number of options for what the home key does there.

Thanks for the mention, but actually, I do "tell the layman" about the website in both the app description and the "About" section in the app itself.

What is more, anywhere I mention the app online, I mention the website as well. The success of the app depends on the success of the website and vice versa. I really want people to use the site because it has a rating system for docks and icons, and a place for users to request app icons. But the site gets a lot of traffic, and the hosting is expensive. The income from the app pays the bills and keeps the site alive.

Sorry, don't mean to rant, but the suggestion that I try to keep the website a secret somehow is hurtful since I've tried so hard to promote it.

Jon F Hancock

Edit: I just noticed your comment about downloading, then uninstalling. That is pretty shady. If you don't wan't to support the website (which has no ads, and doesn't beg for donations) and development, then just use the website. If you're not willing to pay for my time spent developing, don't use the app, and don't recommended piracy to others.

Last edited:

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Thanks for the mention, but actually, I do "tell the layman" about the website in both the app description and the "About" section in the app itself.

What is more, anywhere I mention the app online, I mention the website as well. The success of the app depends on the success of the website and vice versa. I really want people to use the site because it has a rating system for docks and icons, and a place for users to request app icons. But the site gets a lot of traffic, and the hosting is expensive. The income from the app pays the bills and keeps the site alive.

Sorry, don't mean to rant, but the suggestion that I try to keep the website a secret somehow is hurtful since I've tried so hard to promote it.

Jon F Hancock

Edit: I just noticed your comment about downloading, then uninstalling. That is pretty shady. If you don't wan't to support the website (which has no ads, and doesn't beg for donations) and development, then just use the website. If you're not willing to pay for my time spent developing, don't use the app, and don't recommended piracy to others.

I agree!! I love my LP!!!

Deidein

Reaction score

You're right; yourself and the other contributors to the icon depository do deserve the support. I intend to go install the application again, let my 24 hours run out, then uninstall it again (since I find it easier to use the website personally).
However, it's hardly piracy. It's a loophole. A fairly large and easy one to exploit. The only ways around it would be to secure the website, or make the pay application required to install the custom artwork, and that would be detrimental to what you want to do with it. It should be noted that I use the paid version of LauncherPro; I felt that I had contributed enough, and that an additional dollar fifty for what amounted to simple links to a public website was a little much. So - Shady yes, but piracy, no.

I would ask that you consider altering the description of the app for the icons to include a note saying the price of the app goes to supporting the host website and artists of the custom icons. I'm sorry for exploiting the loophole, and thank you very much for your work.

evilsock

Reaction score
make sure before u use any other than stock launcher, that you clean all ur stock home screens to 100% blank. bc it runs in background. i use adw, bc u can fit 25 icons or more on the screen, 100 if u use more icons widget

Sippykipnip

Reaction score
Can anyone confirm if there is redraw issues on the Droid 2 vs like the D1?

zonaRSX

Reaction score
make sure before u use any other than stock launcher, that you clean all ur stock home screens to 100% blank. bc it runs in background. i use adw, bc u can fit 25 icons or more on the screen, 100 if u use more icons widget

Is this for sure? Should I uninstall Launcher Pro, clean off my stock home screens and then reinstall Launcher Pro?

AngDroid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
LauncherPro is running great on my D2. First app I installed. For those that are rooted...if you go into the droid themes forum, look for my D2 theme for Droid 1. There is a launcherpro that is themed to match the D2 better.

Gibbsinator

Reaction score
However, it's hardly piracy. It's a loophole.

Is the fact that there isn't file encryption on .mp3 and other songs and media files mean that illegally sharing the music isn't piracy? Umm, no. The fact is just because you found a way to get it for free, doesn't mean it's not illegal. Which by the way, is EXACTLY how piracy works, if you can't get it for free, it's not piracy, duh. As he suggested, if you don't feel like paying, you can visit the site, but it's always nice to support someone, $1.50 is a drink at mcdonalds or somewhere, let's be serious, I think any of us with a droid can spare that. I decided that the LP Plus was reasonably offered, I wanted to support the program and did, I love the app.

Deidein

Reaction score
However, it's hardly piracy. It's a loophole.

Is the fact that there isn't file encryption on .mp3 and other songs and media files mean that illegally sharing the music isn't piracy? Umm, no. The fact is just because you found a way to get it for free, doesn't mean it's not illegal. Which by the way, is EXACTLY how piracy works, if you can't get it for free, it's not piracy, duh. As he suggested, if you don't feel like paying, you can visit the site, but it's always nice to support someone, $1.50 is a drink at mcdonalds or somewhere, let's be serious, I think any of us with a droid can spare that. I decided that the LP Plus was reasonably offered, I wanted to support the program and did, I love the app.

Condescend elsewhere, re-read my follow up post. It's NOT piracy, since the icons originally are open-source and free; it's droidicon, not Metallica. Would it be piracy to download ANY paid app for 4 hours then uninstall it in your mind? How was I supposed to know that the app that facilitates downloading the icons would leave the icons and docks in a folder on my SD card even AFTER I uninstalled it? Why wouldn't I be irritated to find out after I'd paid for an app that I can just go to a website and do the exact same thing? It's a matter of principle, not frugality. Also, did you fail to notice the part where I said I'd re-installed it and let it charge? No, I stand by my opinion that the app description should be changed. It should say in clearer language that the application is a small courtesy in exchange for a donation. I can happily get behind that.