People won't spend money on apps what gives!!!

Reaction score
Most apps I have purchased provide a performance upgrade or utility that is more than worth the price tag.

Apps I have bought or plan on buying:
SetCPU-This app lets me oc and has extended my batterlife well beyond the $1 pricetag
Beautiful Widget- I kinda just hated all the other weather clock apps so i went with this although it should be priced a little less.
RomManager - This app has made it so stupidly easy to install a custom rom. Lazyness would prevent me from testing all the roms that i have tested with rom manager
juicedefender - thinking about getting ultimate. It's really helped my battery and I would like to see how much more i can squeeze out.
PhoneMyPc - 10 bux is a lot for an app but this is way better than the free apps that do the same thing. I plan on using it just for playing poker
Swype - I would have gone insane by nwo witout swype. The only time i use my physical keyboard is when i install an update and have to sign in to google again lol. I plan on purchasing when they release. If you hate they keyboard give it a try.

WHen it comes to games, theres not a lot worth buying. I might try ashphalt and zenonia, but for the most part we've been shafted on games. The apple games are way better. But then again, I didn't buy this to play games. Drains the battery to quickly and I can't play at work :(

Games:
Gensoid - I got this cuz i was a huge genesis fan. I've played more genesis games than actual android games.

Big Dawg 23

Reaction score
Can't ANYONE buy one of those prepaid visa cards at Wal-mart or other places like that?

If you're 16, you're old enough for a job in most states and old enough to buy a debit card for use on the market. :D
Maybe I haven't paid enough attention but I though those pre-paid visa cards were a $50 minimum.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

There isn't really a minimum for them, but there's like a $3 fee to activate them.

Many prepaid visa will not work for online purchases.

As for the Rant I would agree. As an example a coworker believes if it aint free than he wont use. He then complains about NO Exchange on his MT3G. I have the Droid and paid the fee for Touch. I have paid for some other apps as well. To me it depends on that app and if I need it.

Sodner

Reaction score
Obviously no one is suggesting someone run out a buy apps they don't need or want.

It's just there are some people, who for what ever reason, simply refuse to pay for an app, even one they do want and or need based on some belief that if some apps are free, they all should be.

I have not hesitated once to buy an application I wanted. Like someone said, we get the 24 hours to test drive them, something iphone owners do not!

R

Romple

I'm gonna be honest and admit I get basically all of my PC software and most games from questionable sources (although my Steam collection is growing). And if I'm looking for an app for my Droid I generally check the free category first.

But I've bought a fair amount of apps and games on my Droid, haven't pirated anything at all, and really have no problem with paying the nominal fee for something that does a task I want it to.

I just filtered gmail for google checkout and I've spent $23 on apps/games on my Droid so far. That's more than I've ever spent on my PC software (excluding OS) in my entire life.

The world ain't all bad OP. If a lifelong pirate will pay for apps I don't think developers have too much to worry about.

nateccnn

Reaction score
Heard a story this morning on CNN about this topic. Developers put the app on the market for a buck and sell ten copies a month. Developer changes price to free and suddenly hundreds of downloads per day.

The consensus was that developers have to put an app out that is dynamic! And it needs a great marketing program to make it sell. Free stuff is easy to give away. But getting people to part with cash requires a marketing plan.

To answer the OPs questions:
Do you buy starbucks more than 2x a week?

No. I don't buy starbucks. I drink Folgers that I make in my own coffee pot. You got a problem with that too?

Do you buy more than $20 worth of alcohol a week?

No...I don't drink. You got a problem with that too?

Do you drink over 20 ounces of soda a day?

No. I drink water that I filter from my own tap. You got a problem with that too?

Does your gym membership cost more than $20/m?

No. I don't use a gym. I climb mountains. I ride a real bicycle. I take my dog for a run. I mow my own lawn and shovle snow from my own driveway. You got a problem with that too?

Do you smoke AT ALL!

No. I hope we don't have an issue here.

So there you have it. Apperantly I'm a cheap bastard. But I do drive a luxury pickup truck with an extended cab and I play hard on the weekends with my ski boat and I live in a house that is ten times as big as I need. And I buy apps that are worth what I perceive the value to be.

We are all different in a lot of respects. We all place value on the money in our own pockets and none of us need anyone else to tell us how to spend our money. It's a personal decision and as I said earlier...if the devs want to sell an app...it needs to be dynamic and it needs to be marketed properly. Show me why I need to buy it. Then get on with your life. I do not do charity. You want my money? earn it.

Nate

Ricocht77

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Xperia Z3v
Who are you to tell anyone to spend their money?? If a developer make the app and puts it out as free that's the choice they made, i have both free and paid apps, the ones that made the option of charging got $$ and the ones who didn't charge didn't get $$, bottom line we'll spend our $$ how we wish tyvm :)

Womp

Reaction score
I buy apps, but of the 52 apps I have currently installed only 5 of them had prices attached to them and all 5 of them I paid for - The rest were free. Doggcatcher was the most expensive at $7 and is my most used, awesome app.

Not my fault that the apps I use are free. heh.

Laramie

Reaction score
Who are you to tell anyone to spend their money??

Maybe look up the definition of the word "rant". There's probably a free dictionary in the market ;)

Reaction score
Heard a story this morning on CNN about this topic. Developers put the app on the market for a buck and sell ten copies a month. Developer changes price to free and suddenly hundreds of downloads per day.

The consensus was that developers have to put an app out that is dynamic! And it needs a great marketing program to make it sell. Free stuff is easy to give away. But getting people to part with cash requires a marketing plan.

This is correct. You could make the bestest app evar but if no one knows about it sales will suffer. All of my performace boosting apps that i have purchased I found on this forum. I never would have found them without this place.

Games are even worse. I've never seen an ad for an android game, yet here I am typing this and i see the grand theft auto ipod app banner accross my screen. The way the market works, its impossible to find a good game. The only way I am able to find good games is from mustanggt500's list in the game forums. Lord knows where he finds them all lol

Most people are more likely to try a free app or game. Its eaiser to uninstall a freebie then worry about uninstalling a paid app before the 24 hours is up, and sometimes having difficulty with the refund. Now that I think about it, I don't think a lot of people know about the refund policy.

BlueSami

Reaction score
so no one sees the irony of his thread??
How can you talk about not spending money when you haven bought a vip membership??
i lol'd

bwhite82

Reaction score
Chalk me up as another freeloader. As long as the option exists for me to choose "gratis" over "paid", I will ALWAYS choose gratis. That is what is so great about the marketplace. I don't mind the adware apps as long as they're FRRREEEEEEE.

Should there come a time where all apps are paid then I move along to another platform.

FOSS FTW

darreno1

Reaction score
I buy apps when I think they're worth it in terms of what they do for me. If I really use them, I'll fork over the dough. But I'll be honest and say I usually check out the free versions first. If I find they're really cool and useful, then I look for their paid versions.

To date I've bought:
SetCPU
PhoneMyPC
Tv-Guide USA
TouchDown Exchange
SmartKeyboard
Pro Zoom Camera 5x

Next on list: Dolphin Browser

As you can see, they're not that many but they are what I use the most aside from the free Google offerings and Ak Notepad (which I would have bought in a heartbeat had it not been free). The other apps I have installed I use occasionally so it's hard to justify buying them.

Scythe

Reaction score
As a software developer myself, there's a few things that are interesting in this whole paid vs free debate.

I come from a Linux background, where I typically will provide code to a community and benefit by having quality apps in return. With that said, all of my apps on the market are completely free. Will that change ever? It depends. I'm more likely going to put ads on the app then to make it paid. Then offer a paid ($1-2) ads free version.

I'd only make it paid/ad-based if my time or server resources grew. I prefer the ad-based approach since users still get the quality content they want but have a nagging button that will bring money to me behind the scenes. You can make a lot of money on a single ad click or even just ad views. By selling an ad-free version of it, you skip the wait for all of the clicks/impressions that a user will generate from the ad version (and you might actually lose money).

If it's costing me money to run the service I'm providing, I need money in return to keep it up. If the utility is not going to cost me anything behind the scenes, then it'll be free.

barbee

Reaction score
i have bought several apps. most recently tapatalk. i buy an app if it is a useful tool. ill probably never pay for a game or the like