People really dont know what they have with their phones.

km75

Reaction score
Not picking on people. But the following comment is why, personally, I dont listen to individuals complaints unless I experience it my self. I believe a lot of issues people have with their phones can be attributed to user error or their lack of insight.
The following was in response to a column referring to VoLTE being test run on verizon.

"I wonder if one of the markets is San Diego. I was out grabbing a bite at a drive through while I was on a conference call yesterday. I was defnitely not on Wifi, and I was getting emails and google voice messages on my Droid Bionic on 4G _while_ I was on the call. My replies were going out and people were writing back. I was baffled".

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

NattyBee

Reaction score
Haha, evidently that was the individuals first time ever on 4G, lmao!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

NattyBee

Reaction score
Can you duplicate it?

If not, chances you were on wifi.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Sarcasm, yes? On 4G you CAN have simultaneous voice & data. :p

OP
K

km75

Reaction score
Haha, evidently that was the individuals first time ever on 4G, lmao!

Judging by the rest of their comments it seems it wasn't their first time unfortunately.

rdgxray

Reaction score
Not an expert, but I think what OP is pointing out is 4G carries data and 3G carries voice and txt or 2G does....So if you are on 4G you can surf and talk at the same time because have multiple streams of information flowing to you....Can someone with expert knowledge on this please explain what 4G, 3G etc does? And how they work together to give you call and data at same time....thanks

dra868

Reaction score
I'm not an expert by no means, but I know a few things. Not to over complicate the discussion the answer is simply your phone has a 4G radio and a 3G radio. Both are separate and when in an environment with both services present they both work simultaneously. Your phone will show 4G service even though 3g is working also.

ohaaron

Reaction score
Also, to the people who are baffled as to why this is not "Volte.." It's because Volte is Voice & Data over LTE, rather than just Data. This is essential for Verizon's future plans, as they intend to completely replace their legacy 2G & 3G switch based networks with their 4G LTE packet based network. Starting in late 2013, when Verizon's 4g footprint is in all areas where 3g is, Verizon will start releasing phones that only have a 4G radio. In order for this to work, Volte is going to need to be a mature technology by then. Here's to the future! Verizon will save millions by not having to operate their legacy networks... pass it on to us? xD

azdrifter

Reaction score
That's why 4g and 3g radios run simultaneous so that data can be distributed on either network allowing for multitasking.

OP
K

km75

Reaction score
Not an expert, but I think what OP is pointing out is 4G carries data and 3G carries voice and txt or 2G does....So if you are on 4G you can surf and talk at the same time because have multiple streams of information flowing to you....Can someone with expert knowledge on this please explain what 4G, 3G etc does? And how they work together to give you call and data at same time....thanks

Actually I was pointing out the fact that some people have 4G phones and apparently they don't know that if they are in a 4g area they can talk on the phone and browse the web at the same time. You can't do that on 3G. But you would think that if people would spend the type of money they do on these phones, individuals would take the time to get to know its capabilities.

3G is only for data. Not voice and text.
Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
K

km75

Reaction score
That's why 4g and 3g radios run simultaneous so that data can be distributed on either network allowing for multitasking.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk[/QUOTE
Ideally they don't run simultaneously. How it works is if you are in a 4g area your 4g phone will run off that. Once you are not in a 4g area or the signal isn't that strong then your phone reverts to 3g. Its just that as of now with Verizons 4G network still in its infancy stages the handoff process isn't working as well as it should.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

SniperDroid

Reaction score

You mean SINCE BOTH RADIO'S RUN AT THE SAME TIME, THE BATTERY ONLY LAST'S HALF AS LONG.....!

B

bens42608

Forgive my ignorance, but when the transition to VoLte is complete, and we have only one 4G radio, will we still be able to make calls and surf the web at the same time even though we wont have 2 radios anymore?