PC Mode or USB Mass Storage Mode when rooting?

kwiksilvr

Reaction score
Im having an issue rotting the X

I have win 7 64
I have debugging mode enabled

When I choose PC Mode I cannot get the device to list when using the ADB DEVICES

when I use USB Mass storage it lists it just fine, but It wont let me proceed with the root.. I get access denied..

HELP PLEASE...

OP
K

kwiksilvr

Reaction score
ok... then why do I get no devices listed when using the command adb devices when in pc mode.. i only get a device listed when using usb mass storage mode...

JeepJockey

Reaction score
I used PC Mode at the lock screen and when I had to unlock to turn wifi and bluetooth off and back on I switched it to Mass Storage mode. Then in the last steps copying from the SD card I switched back to PC Mode and locked the phone and finished the steps. Worked fine phone is rooted, verified with wifi tether.

All that said I don't think the drivers out there are Win7 64bit compatible because I had to use an XP machine to do it.

Soapinmouth

Reaction score
im having the same problem and no the motorolla drivers did not help :( please help I was so excited about this and can't even get it started.

sgdossey

Reaction score
I had the same problem, then I used charge mode to do the second half of the steps when rooting. When in charge mode, I was able to have the debug on and do the wifi button, it also let me copy the files from the usb to the /system/bin.

The first half I had to make sure my phone was locked for it to see it has a device in pc mode, you'll know it works when you get the exclamation debug mode. Copy the files that way, then you won't get permission denied. After that switch over to charge mode for the rest, because as soon as you unlock you phone to enable/disable wifi, then you will lose debug mode , which will stop the process.

Hope that made sense

PS. the key to debug coming up while in pc mode was to make sure that your phone is LOCKED (slider) before you connect your phone.