Patent Wars Return; Apple & Microsoft Owned Consortium Attack Google & Android OEMs

AECRADIO

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
1.Moto-G, Droid-X, 3.Droid 2
Twitter
@AECRADIO
Too many people in this field forget that those before them, blazed the trail they now tread.
The road to riches does not come from beating those before you bloody, it comes from accepting the fact that as the level of technology increases, the line grows ever hazier, and what once was a clear path to success, is now covered in fog, the desire to create is now ruined with the desire to sue, and real creativity has been replaced by buying out dead companies and sifting through what remains and identifying anything the lazy can use as a weapon to stifle a rival business, even if the methods used to silence is vague, they will make the attempt.
People need to stand up and put a stop to this malevolent action and force them (with your wallets) to stop being predators, and start playing like adults, the days of bullying to gain supremacy has ended!
You either create, or you vanish, it IS as simple as that, and the consumers and people that support the old regime need to step out of the way and make room for the thinkers and doers.
Nobody can survive on lawsuits, it is a proven game loser, as you have nothing to survive with, as you create nothing but contempt, which is counter-productive.
These trolls must die, plain and simple. If you allow the non-producers to buy other's work and profit from it through the use of lawsuits to achieve 'greatness', you have really done nothing, and made yourself the target of people that will force you to close your doors for the very fact that as a business, you have not earned the staying power necessary to remain viable, if all you can provide are suits against others for that which you purchased but never had a hand in the creation, you need to whither on the vine and make room for those that can and will create, and earn the respect of others. Trolls are nothing but bottom feeders, looking for free handouts simply because they made a purchase and are looking to profit from the work of others, while doing nothing on their own, or with their own merits. Rockstar will not last long if the movers and shakers see the light and remove themselves from this hideous form of litigation, it will only provide the negative responses when their actions are fully brought to light. Reputations are hard won, and easily destroyed, and the longer you align your business with that of deception, you will earn all the negative feedback by not separating yourself from these low-life reps.
Nobody sings the praises of a car that always breaks down, and any businesses that praise the actions of Rockstar should also relalize that holding on to a bad business model will never bring them fame and fotune, but all the bad press they can handle, and I hope those connected with Rockstar take themselves out of the equation in short order and go their separate ways, forever.

Big Ry

Reaction score
Do they teach business ethics in college anymore? Sometimes I wonder.
That's like asking if the UFC holds no contact matches

Google just needs to buy up this patent troll. BOOM! Problem solved.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Too many people in this field forget that those before them, blazed the trail they now tread.
The road to riches does not come from beating those before you bloody, it comes from accepting the fact that as the level of technology increases, the line grows ever hazier, and what once was a clear path to success, is now covered in fog, the desire to create is now ruined with the desire to sue, and real creativity has been replaced by buying out dead companies and sifting through what remains and identifying anything the lazy can use as a weapon to stifle a rival business, even if the methods used to silence is vague, they will make the attempt.
People need to stand up and put a stop to this malevolent action and force them (with your wallets) to stop being predators, and start playing like adults, the days of bullying to gain supremacy has ended!
You either create, or you vanish, it IS as simple as that, and the consumers and people that support the old regime need to step out of the way and make room for the thinkers and doers.
Nobody can survive on lawsuits, it is a proven game loser, as you have nothing to survive with, as you create nothing but contempt, which is counter-productive.
These trolls must die, plain and simple. If you allow the non-producers to buy other's work and profit from it through the use of lawsuits to achieve 'greatness', you have really done nothing, and made yourself the target of people that will force you to close your doors for the very fact that as a business, you have not earned the staying power necessary to remain viable, if all you can provide are suits against others for that which you purchased but never had a hand in the creation, you need to whither on the vine and make room for those that can and will create, and earn the respect of others. Trolls are nothing but bottom feeders, looking for free handouts simply because they made a purchase and are looking to profit from the work of others, while doing nothing on their own, or with their own merits. Rockstar will not last long if the movers and shakers see the light and remove themselves from this hideous form of litigation, it will only provide the negative responses when their actions are fully brought to light. Reputations are hard won, and easily destroyed, and the longer you align your business with that of deception, you will earn all the negative feedback by not separating yourself from these low-life reps.
Nobody sings the praises of a car that always breaks down, and any businesses that praise the actions of Rockstar should also relalize that holding on to a bad business model will never bring them fame and fotune, but all the bad press they can handle, and I hope those connected with Rockstar take themselves out of the equation in short order and go their separate ways, forever.

Google is no saint. I believe had they won these Nortel patents they would have gone after Apple months ago for this very same thing. Why? Because they quickly went to work after they snatched up Motorola for their patents.

Android this week: Google?s Motorola sues Apple; U.S. gets Note tablet; Google Play improves ? Tech News and Analysis

Motorola Mobility sues Apple (again); seeks iPhone, Mac import ban | ZDNet

All these companies are guilty of it and that includes Google.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Google is no saint. I believe had they won these Nortel patents they would have gone after Apple months ago for this very same thing. Why? Because they quickly went to work after they snatched up Motorola for their patents.

Android this week: Google?s Motorola sues Apple; U.S. gets Note tablet; Google Play improves ? Tech News and Analysis

I remember the attempt to ban imports. I remember thinking what that would do to all the schools and businesses is the only reason it would never get anywhere, regardless of whether it had merit or not.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
s pen aholic in Beast Mode (Notetoo)

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score

It didn't appear that he as saying that google was innocent, it appears to be more directly related to companies who hold no interest in the patents they actually have. I should not be allowed as a gardener to buy up 20 tech patents and sue all people who infringe that patent when I have no vested use for these patents. This is what they are trying to change, tech giants suing tech giants over patents they actually hold and use will not stop because they actually have a vested interest for those patents. If the company that bought up the nortel patents has no vested interest, as they do not produce any products with those patents, they should be deemed invalidated.

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score

These were all filings designed to put pressure on Apple to drop its ridiculous suits against Google-involved products. That is exactly why this whole thing is ridiculous, because it just continually escalates. As said above, we'll just have to speak with our wallets. Apple is completely and utterly off my radar, as is Windows Phone and if I can help it Windows for any future purchases until this mess ends.

sharkattack99

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S8+
Sounds to like there falling/failing and Microsoft and apple are just doing this to stay alive.

Apple can't think of anything but iPhone (nothing new there) and Microsoft's windows phones aren't doing much, and the last two window vista and 8 sucked. There hurtin and need to sue over stupid stuff like this to stay alive

Last edited:

AECRADIO

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Twitter
@AECRADIO
Big tech businesses love to play the game, and none are above the back room deal when it comes to profit, even if it costs the customer, there will always be the diehards that love despite of the cost, inflated as it is.
I wonder how far we would get if we played the same games with businesses, if we took bribes, sued them over every minor deception they used on us, would they feel as bad as we feel, or simply ignore it and move on?
When do the games stop, and the real business begin? I wish for a utopian society, where we strive to better ourselves and work for humanity, instead of the almighty dollar, and what it purchases.
Yes, I know it is a Star Trek mindset, but what is wrong with that?
To desire a good life, without the B.S we all deal with every day, to have the best education available to all, and nobody gets left out because they are poor, or never had the exposure others had simply by living in the locations that had such educational 'wealth' easily within reach.
I guess I can say this is what draws me to the Android platform just as much as the hardware does, it is the learning to 'do' by trial and error, and with assistance from those that have far ore years of experience writing code, addressing problems and solving them is a way of life, as I am hoping to join these ranks as well.
I am not in the best place to have a knowledge base, as most here are far more involved with sports, drinking too much, and what 'tech' they encounter appears to be setting the time on their iPhones and VCRs.
Sad but true, so I am thankful I have had decades of real world education and hands-on experience in my field, and this is what makes it difficult for others also interested, to deal with.
The absolute lack of available and at-the-ready assistance, aside from great people on sites such as this one.
Could big business take a cue from OUR actions here?
I can only hope they can, we, as a family of programmers, hackers, tinkerers and with backgrounds so varied and expansive, we DO have a lot to offer, but when your life revolves around money and profit, you begin to hold a dim and narrow view of your fellow man. Nobody meets your perceptions of self worth, value or experience. This mindset needs to change, and fast.
Look what happened to colleges, they had to run online schools for those that could not afford to travel to a physical classroom, they held class by radio for decades in Australia, where students would radio in to their distant classes for their grades and lectures, Etc... This is why most schools of higher learning had to adapt, improvise and overcome the disability so many students, and want-to-be students had to deal with.....the inability to physically attend a school of their choice!
You can't find too many O.J.T careers these days, and those that are available, are for highly centralized and focused fields, such as CNC programming and tooling, tool and die work, mold making, fields not found outside of the industrial areas of major cities, like Pittsburgh used to be. Jobs shift nations and states, we have moved more into a service nation than a building nation. Businesses steal secrets from other businesses to get ahead, and if we did these things to businesses, they would do their best to make us pay, by litigation or some form of suit of equity I imagine.
Stop the back stabbing, trampling over, and just plain crooked games to make a few more dollars. Why can't everybody be on the same playing field, nothing held back, nothing impossible?
Just think of all the good we ALL could do if we were all involved for the same goals.
I do my best to help others, at home, on the net, and in my own business, sure, right now I am in it for the money, but I also give back to those that feed me, and to those that have nothing, by donating clothing.
If I can help ONE person each day, I think I am making progress, and not taking advantage of people also furthers my goal. So people will always have what I do not, and I am happy, regardless. I am also wildly happy I have never been materialistic, so my 'drive' to succeed does not hinder my reach, or my goals of personal achievement. I have drive, but I know when to say 'stop'.
I will help anybody I feel I can, and if it is for free, then so be it, all I ask, is that those I help, also help others the same way....It has to start someplace, why not HERE?

Last edited:

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
It didn't appear that he as saying that google was innocent, it appears to be more directly related to companies who hold no interest in the patents they actually have. I should not be allowed as a gardener to buy up 20 tech patents and sue all people who infringe that patent when I have no vested use for these patents. This is what they are trying to change, tech giants suing tech giants over patents they actually hold and use will not stop because they actually have a vested interest for those patents. If the company that bought up the nortel patents has no vested interest, as they do not produce any products with those patents, they should be deemed invalidated.
NPE's make their money off of licensing (which I think is fair) and it looks like this is what this lawsuit is all about. It's a shot over the bow and I don't think they are trying to shutter them out completely. Rockstar's CEO John Veschi said:

We are pleased to emerge from this review process, and are looking forward to working with technology related companies to provide them with access to Rockstar's technology. The entire industry has benefitted from Nortel's groundbreaking innovations, and we are eager to work with them to establish licenses enabling the continued use of this technology.

The quote above pretty much sums it up why they are going after them.

Check out their website http://www.ip-rockstar.com/about

Here's some info on how they protect their patents:

Let innovation thrive

Rockstar is deeply committed to advancing innovation worldwide through its patent licensing program. Intellectual property is a strategic asset. Acquisition of such an asset from Rockstar through a license or purchase can provide significant strategic value to our partners and customers. Our licensees gain access to the immense power and know-how of the patented technologies in Rockstar’s portfolio, in addition to gaining freedom of design, improving time-to-market product development and delivering better end-customer satisfaction.

Protect when necessary

Licensing is always the preferred route at Rockstar. However, with a portfolio that is widely regarded by peers and analysts as one of the most significant, high-quality collections in the technology industry today, Rockstar is committed to protecting its intellectual property where necessary.

When patent infringement occurs

Today, a vast number of companies in the marketplace are using technology products or processes built directly from patents in Rockstar’s portfolio. When patent infringement occurs, there is typically one of two consequences: either the infringing businesses obtain the legal right to use that technology via a patent license, or the parties pursue the case through litigation—a step that can be costly and time consuming for both parties.

How evidence of patent infringement is collected

While Rockstar prefers to help innovation in the marketplace grow through the licensing route, we also aggressively pursue those who refuse to respect and compensate patent holders. Evidence of patent infringement is collected and analyzed by Rockstar at our in-house labs. Rockstar engineers—many of whom are patent holders themselves—conduct extensive reverse engineering on products that are suspected of patent infringement. When evidence of use is established, a claim report is created and an infringing company is contacted to discuss next steps.

Find out more about patent licensing and sales

At Rockstar, licensing and sales are the preferred way of bringing innovation to the market. For authorized representatives of firms who develop technology-based products and processes, contact our Sales Department today for more information on patent sales and licensing options for your firm.

TheOldFart

Reaction score
I'm sure they would love to license to Google and all the Android manufacturers - at fees so high that it will significantly drive up the prices of Android devices. That will then make overpriced Apple devices look like bargains or make people who don't like Apple consider switching to Windows mobile products. I wonder how far they would have to drive up the price of a Galaxy tablet to make the Surface look cheap.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
NPE's make their money off of licensing (which I think is fair) and it looks like this is what this lawsuit is all about. It's a shot over the bow and I don't think they are trying to shutter them out completely. Rockstar's CEO John Veschi said:

Let innovation thrive

Rockstar is deeply committed to advancing innovation worldwide through its patent licensing program. Intellectual property is a strategic asset. Acquisition of such an asset from Rockstar through a license or purchase can provide significant strategic value to our partners and customers. Our licensees gain access to the immense power and know-how of the patented technologies in Rockstar’s portfolio, in addition to gaining freedom of design, improving time-to-market product development and delivering better end-customer satisfaction.

Protect when necessary

Licensing is always the preferred route at Rockstar. However, with a portfolio that is widely regarded by peers and analysts as one of the most significant, high-quality collections in the technology industry today, Rockstar is committed to protecting its intellectual property where necessary.

Today, a vast number of companies in the marketplace are using technology products or processes built directly from patents in Rockstar’s portfolio. When patent infringement occurs, there is typically one of two consequences: either the infringing businesses obtain the legal right to use that technology via a patent license, or the parties pursue the case through litigation—a step that can be costly and time consuming for both parties.

While Rockstar prefers to help innovation in the marketplace grow through the licensing route, we also aggressively pursue those who refuse to respect and compensate patent holders. Evidence of patent infringement is collected and analyzed by Rockstar at our in-house labs. Rockstar engineers—many of whom are patent holders themselves—conduct extensive reverse engineering on products that are suspected of patent infringement. When evidence of use is established, a claim report is created and an infringing company is contacted to discuss next steps.

At Rockstar, licensing and sales are the preferred way of bringing innovation to the market. For authorized representatives of firms who develop technology-based products and processes, contact our Sales Department today for more information on patent sales and licensing options for your firm.

I had to read that last paragraph several times. Licensing and sales are preferred way of bringing innovation to the market?
Attempted sales bans is bringing innovation to the market? Thermonuclear war will bring innovation to the market? Exclusivity of parts pricing with a gun to their head brings innovation to the market?
I am certainly no fanboy of cyberdine, oops I meant Google, but really?

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
s pen aholic in Beast Mode (Notetoo)

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score

Let innovation thrive

Protect when necessary

The quote from the CEO sums it up: another company has benefited the industry through its innovations, and we intend to profit from their hard work in every way possible. There is nothing here that makes what they have done seem in any way more valid.

AECRADIO

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Twitter
@AECRADIO
Obfuscation of facts, does not validate the theft of work done by others before them.
Let me get this right, they have engineers reverse engineer a competitor's product, and then sue them if they find potentially damaging evidence of patent infringement?
When I read non disclosure agreements, I see one thing first and clearly....Reverse engineering is specifically PROHIBITED, even after you buy the product, the law even has set prohibitions on reverse engineering practices to prevent one from gaining a 'tactical advantage' garnered by the very practice, and then using that knowledge to your advantage against that which you obtained the information from.
Patents protect the creator from fraudulent actions concerning a product or process, and grants the creator specific rights and title to the exclusive use of that product or process for a predetermined time frame.
If Rockstar can obtain a product and reverse engineer that product, then use this information against the creator of that product, would there not be a violation somewhere within that very act, that prohibits such a practice?

Years ago, NEC was snagged by this very issue, when they were caught with direct copies of the 8086 die within their version of the V80 processor.
They too, reverse engineered that component, then altered it a slight amount and incorporated the changes within the V80 die structure.

I suspect if Rockstar is reverse engineering products, they also have the thought that they too, can make copies and profit from the process.
Soon, we will see reverse engineering companies being sued by other reverse engineering companies for theft of processes stolen from other reverse engineered products....Oh the insanity of this can become mind numbing!

What's next then?
Suits of equity over the 'process' of putting pen to paper?

Last edited:

jseah

Reaction score
If justice was reasonable, the courts would go after patent trolls the same way they went after the domain name hoarders back in the day when individuals would snap up .com names for well known companies for the low cost of registering the names before those companies even thought of creating websites in the expectation that they could extort large sums of money from those companies later on. In many cases, the courts found for the companies and forced the hoarders to relinquish the names.

There should be a statute of limitations for patent infringement. If a company holds a patent, someone infringes, and the patent holder does nothing to protect their claim in the hopes that as the infringing company's product becomes a success and they can sue for more money, then the patent holder forfeits the right to sue. The best case scenario would be that the court would find that the patents in question are so broad that it invalidates the patent. Then the patent troll is stuck with a worthless asset.