Paranoid Android's HALO Is Now Open Sourced!

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
[video=youtube;d5WljHcOyXs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=d5WljHcOyXs[/video]

HALO is a feature of the Paranoid Android Rom that was inspired by Facebook's Chat Heads. Like Chat Heads it presents notifications in a circle on your homescreen. Unlike Chat Heads it works with system wide providing notifications from all apps that give them. HALO presents notifications in a floating circular window, when you open the notification you can play with the full fledged app. This is somewhat similar to what you get with Samsung's MultiWindow.

Paranoid Android has officially made HALO open source. This means you can expect this feature to show up in other roms. You may even see some stand alone apps show up in the market. I have been wanting to play with HALO, but have just never installed Paranoid Android. Hopefully other developers will also incorporate this soon.

Via XDA

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I decided to go back to stock rooted on my S3 and would love to see this as an app I can download from the play store.

gflam

Developer
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I decided to go back to stock rooted on my S3 and would love to see this as an app I can download from the play store.

A little secret I have which I dunno if I'm gonna finish yet or not but I started one that will work on any device rooted or not during my finals week since I needed something to keep me sane while studying :)

Since it would be a stand alone app and not part of a rom I was recreating apps such as gmail, sms, talk etc from scratch since I can't just load another app into a window. I'm making all the apps with the holo theme and doing everything halo was doing but as a stand alone app. Would something like that be an interest to you if it worked on any thing rooted or non rooted? Think I should continue?

gflam

Developer
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score

Ha alright well it's about a third done i guess still has quite a bit of work but i only have one more website i'm supposed to finish and then my plate is empty so i'll spend a lot of time on it and put it out with probably three apps supported and add more once i see how people react to it and what they'd like to see in it.

Well actually before I even do that I've pretty much finished the sms portion to it but haven't started gmail or gtalk which were my first thoughts as to what to support but was thinking maybe twitter and facebook instead what would you guys like to see as supported apps for the first release

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
Ha alright well it's about a third done i guess still has quite a bit of work but i only have one more website i'm supposed to finish and then my plate is empty so i'll spend a lot of time on it and put it out with probably three apps supported and add more once i see how people react to it and what they'd like to see in it.

Well actually before I even do that I've pretty much finished the sms portion to it but haven't started gmail or gtalk which were my first thoughts as to what to support but was thinking maybe twitter and facebook instead what would you guys like to see as supported apps for the first release

I like the idea of gMail and Talk (Hangouts) being supported and SMS is a must ;)...can't wait to see what ya come up with...

gflam

Developer
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I like the idea of gMail and Talk (Hangouts) being supported and SMS is a must ;)...can't wait to see what ya come up with...

Yea I liked that as well but gmail just seems like it's gonna be a lot to do so I was thinking of replacing it just so I can get in the market sooner and updating with gmail support later on but we'll see how it goes I guess

gflam

Developer
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Just figured I'd update you guys for whoever cares the app has come a long way and is nearing finishing it'll release with four supported apps and I have 4 more I'm going to add for the second update. I've been using it a ton have it on my screen right now and I think you guys will really like it. It'll be free of course and non root and I'm going to build something at some point as well so you guys can support apps you'd like to see support for and whatever else you think it needs.

Hoping to release in about 2 weeks

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

gflam

Developer
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Well I'm not creating anything from halo, halo only works from within a rom. So I'm rewriting every app from scratch within a floating halo type app. It has four at the moment and 5 more planned for the second update. I'm pretty excited to release soon and have been working on it a ton was up till 5 last night ha. Grabbed my partner conap for it as well to help speed up the release.

gflam

Developer
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Just released the app I mentioned earlier, it's called Portal it's FREE. It can be found here on Google Play https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gflam.portal

Btw let me know what you guys think and what apps you'd like us to add, as well as just any general suggestions.

Last edited:

omar908

Reaction score
Just downloaded and loving it ^_^ except it's not letting me log in on fb :c but I have a feeling that's Facebook fault haha

gflam

Developer
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Just downloaded and loving it ^_^ except it's not letting me log in on fb :c but I have a feeling that's Facebook fault haha

Glad you like it, be sure to tell your friends :p but do let me know what you'd like added as in apps so far we have the following on the TODO list

Notepad
Music player (possibly)
Calculator
Camera
Power widget
Resizable windows
Showing multiple notifications rather than just the last one

Anyone feel free to request whatever you want and we'll do our best to get it in quickly