Pandora Audio quality poor compared to Blackberry

rolandct

Reaction score
So us X owners we have a month or so until Pandora gets ruined. Something to look forward to... :icon_ banana:

Essex

Reaction score
What's odd is that for me its every other song that sucks.. this is really lame

OP
M

MyNewDroidX

Reaction score
Is the consensus that Droid X 2.1 Pandora sounds good and that 2.2 is going to make Pandora sound bad?

OP
M

MyNewDroidX

Reaction score
Second Update using Google Music App (Not Pandora): It sounds just as bad as Pandora. I was playing CD's I ripped onto my SD card that was done as CD quality.

So do DX owners think music sounds good?

mapexvenus

Reaction score
I have the same problem. Pandora on my HTC Inc sounded awesome, but on my Droid X it sounds terrible. Almost feels like I am listening to it on lower than 3G speeds, when in fact my Droid X is connected to my wireless network.

darreno1

Reaction score
Second Update using Google Music App (Not Pandora): It sounds just as bad as Pandora. I was playing CD's I ripped onto my SD card that was done as CD quality.

So do DX owners think music sounds good?

Well in this case you might have issues with your setup. I play music through the 3.5 jack all the time and it sounds perfect. There is a bass boost feature on the music app. You might need to use that.

droid-dogg

Reaction score
Droid X sound quality poor from jack to stereo

I have the same problem. Pandora on my HTC Inc sounded awesome, but on my Droid X it sounds terrible. Almost feels like I am listening to it on lower than 3G speeds, when in fact my Droid X is connected to my wireless network.

Same here. Wife's Moto Droid1 sounds CD QUALITY from jack to car stereo. Imagine my disappointment when I hooked up my DroidX and heard tinny audio with no range. I REALLY hope this is a software issue that changes in 2.2 because part of the reason of owning my phone is for Pandora in the car.

If anyone has any updates on this news we'd appreciate it.

Tower101

Reaction score
I thought the X sounded just OK (way to tinny) until I found the sound settings, I put it on surround - live and equalizer - bass punch. I think it sounds pretty darn nice now. Will have to see what happends with 2.2 maybe we will get a "fixed" version (one can hope right).

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
My DX sounds just fine with Pandora. However, I'm not very happy with playing MP3 files through my DX. My bro-in-law has an iPod and the same audio files sound so much better than they do from my DX. I plan on getting an iPod nano and just leaving it in the glove box or something since my head unit can control it directly. Music is music i guess, but the bass from the DX is poor. Right now I use a USB flash drive, but its annoying. It has to 'bank' all the songs on it every time I turn my car on.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I thought the X sounded just OK (way to tinny) until I found the sound settings, I put it on surround - live and equalizer - bass punch. I think it sounds pretty darn nice now. Will have to see what happends with 2.2 maybe we will get a "fixed" version (one can hope right).

Huh, I never saw those. i just set mine. Will check it out when I'm in my car.

droid-dogg

Reaction score
You're right. I did find and mess with the settings. Enabling the change has very distinct difference. Looking forward to better solutions like you ... better than before until then!

OP
M

MyNewDroidX

Reaction score
FYI - With Froyo installed, I am now able to stream bluetooth Pandora to my head unit.

As far as sound quality, it still seems funny to me. My wifes blackberry still sounds better. I did some research on the Pandora problem and people said it was related to "stagefright" that Froyo is using. There are work arounds that talk about disabling stagefright in the build.prop file. However, stagefright is already disabled (I guess Motorola decided to deactivate it??)

Here's some threads regarding the bad sound and Froyo.

[FIX] Fix poor AAC streaming performance (Pandora, Slacker, etc) on Froyo - xda-developers

OP
M

MyNewDroidX

Reaction score
uggg...i really hate the audio on this phone. I was just talking to a coworker who got a desire and he complained about the same bad sound quality. I wonder if the samsung phones are better, ive heard that there mp3 players had awesome hardware and sounded great. I wonder if sansung made sure to give good audio.

I still can't believe cnet or engadget don't talk about the piss poor audio with these smart phones. I'm just surprised people dont care or notice. If I was blackberry I would shout from the roof tops that they do great audio.

On a side note, im very curious about the WP7 phones and audio quality. With it being built with Zune, I wonder if they are going to force high audio quality. I know my brothers Zune HD sounds crystal clear.

the5barrons

Reaction score
OMG..please...really...blaming the quality of the sound signal on Froyo. C'mon people...get into your phone and change a setting till it sounds good. There happens to be a couple different settings, one for the phone itself, and I guarantee you there is one for your player...

Killin' me man...

EDIT - specifically...settings - media audio effects - wired stereo devices

mcshady96

Reaction score
anyone who thinks their droid x sounds goood through pandora, even after spending forever tuning your media audio settings til you think it sounds great, should go listen to pandora on the droid incredible with android 2.2 on it. you will see that not only does the droid x suck for audio quality, you will also see that it has nothing to do with either android or pandora, but is completely an issue with motorola. whatever motorola did to the software or hardware on this phone, they royally screwed up the audio quality. and dont tell me its just my phone either, because this is my second droid x and it has the same issue. i also tried a coworkers droid x and he also has the same issue.