Palm Users Who Changed to Droid?

JimmyD

Reaction score
I’m still looking for a good outliner/hierarchical app similar to Natara Bonsai. Any suggestions?

I think the app called ShortNotes (and ShortNotes Pro and ShortNotes Professional) by the developer named David Tanzer is as close as you're going to get to Natara Bonsai on Android.

rmcanzano

Reaction score
Palm 755p to Droid 2

I switched yesterday. I have a few minor issues. How does one sync the "Contacts". I have the Google account How to I configure the Droid 2 to routinely sync the "Contacts ( outlook) " and "Calender:icon_ banana:"

tranz

Reaction score
moving to droid

I know it's a pain, but if you actually read through this entire thread you'll learn a lot about moving and syncing contacts and calendar.

Really read it though; just above somebody gave someone else bad advice by not really reading their question (calendars don't export as vcf or csv, and don't have pics either).

I posted some very specific "how-to" about how I sucessfully moved all my calendar, 200+ memos, and 900+ contacts, but I'm not gonna go doing a search for my post(s) for you.

also androidforums.com has good info about migrating from a Treo to a Droid

tedmeister

Reaction score
OK, I've read through every page of this lengthy thread, and read other threads as well until my eyes are falling out of my head. I dunno if I just have a strange problem, or some obvious setting that is so obvious no one else has ever had a problem...

I moved from a Treo 650 to the Droid X a month ago. Still trying to get it completely configured to be my perfect business tool. Still some distance to go it seems. Used Palm Desktop, Hotsync, the works for years (had a Treo 600 before the 650). Definitely miss some of the very polished function of tasks and calendar and memos on the Palm, and still looking for apps that work as well, or preferably even better.

My odd problem is that I was able to get all 8 years of calendar appointments into Google calendar from my Outlook (I still use it for now, but Google Calendar I consider the 'master') and I use Sync2 (broke down and bought it) to keep Google and my PC Outlook in sync. Works great. Configured the Android Calendar to sync to Google and all appeared great for the past some weeks...until I looked up some stuff I did last year and found that NONE of my calendar appointments except for a handful of repeating ones from four months ago and earlier are on the phone. None of the past 8 years - thousands of appointments. They are ALL in Google calendar, visible in the browser - even in the browser on the phone, if I login to my gmail account with the browser and access calendar that way, I can see them. But I cannot find any setting or any way to get them to come to the phone. Note that I still want full sync on past historical appointments, as I occasionally go back and make notes on them, which I want to show up everywhere regardless of where I enter them (Google Calendar in the 'cloud', desktop PC Outlook instance, and Droid phone).

Any ideas, anyone?

tedmeister

Reaction score
Ah, it appears just as I thought - the phone stock calendar app will ONLY sync appointments into the future, not past appointments. Sigh. OK, I will do this VERY carefully, as messing it up could lose all 8 years of appointments in my Google calendar. It also means that if I make notes on old appointments, there won't be any good way of getting them sync'd perhaps. Sigh.

You say you couldn't get the manual date/time to "stick" earlier than January 2009? That would be a problem. I regularly look up old meetings, conferences, trips, etc, back in 2006, 2007, and 2008.

Anyone else know anything about this?

InvalidUserID

Reaction score
Ah, it appears just as I thought - the phone stock calendar app will ONLY sync appointments into the future, not past appointments. Sigh. OK, I will do this VERY carefully, as messing it up could lose all 8 years of appointments in my Google calendar. It also means that if I make notes on old appointments, there won't be any good way of getting them sync'd perhaps. Sigh.

You say you couldn't get the manual date/time to "stick" earlier than January 2009? That would be a problem. I regularly look up old meetings, conferences, trips, etc, back in 2006, 2007, and 2008.

Anyone else know anything about this?

Google calendar does have the ability to sync past appointments, your current issue is just preventing that from happening.
You're not alone on this issue. Visit Issue 3672 - android - Calendar app won't sync events older than 1 month - Project Hosting on Google Code and see posts with the same problem. It's post # 66 by Wade that gets credit for finding a workaround to this problem.

If you're worried about losing your data, you can backup your calender by logging into the web version on your desktop. Goto
Calendar settings>Calendars>Export calendars

Then proceed through the steps previously mentioned.

Essentially you're deleting the local data on the phone and re-downloading the data from the cloud.

The reason for turning back the date in yearly increments is to ensure the year sets/sticks. As Wade describes, you just can't roll back to 2006 or farther, for some reason the date won't set.

Last edited:

quitob1

Reaction score
Splashshopper for Android?

Hi All -

I looked for the answer to this question within most of the 21 pages of posts (!) but gave up so I apologize if this has been addressed -

The 755p is still my device because I'm clinging onto SplashShopper, Chatteremail, and Datebk6. So far I've not seen any apps that come close to the customization and feature set of these apps. Are there any Android apps for the EVO that could effectively replace these?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

alwerner

Reaction score
Here would be my recommendations:
GroceryKing
GMail

The replacement for Datebk6 will be a bit trickier depending on what features you use. I would suggest CalendarPad and Agenda Widget as a start.

quitob1

Reaction score
Here would be my recommendations:
GroceryKing
GMail

The replacement for Datebk6 will be a bit trickier depending on what features you use. I would suggest CalendarPad and Agenda Widget as a start.

Thanks - I'll add those to my list and will try them out if I can get a test Android somewhere before committing. CalendarPad/Agenda Widget look nice -are calendar entries still made using the 'slot-machine' date and time picker method (like the iPhone, and WebOS)? I find that very inefficient and would prefer to tap the time/date, or type it directly.....

alwerner

Reaction score
The nice thing is you have three front end options to your calendar:
Calendar Application
Mobile Calendar via browser
Google Calendar on your desktop

The last two do allow you to pick a date or type a date.

quitob1

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips and hopefully those apps meet my needs. Specifically this is what I'm hoping to be able to continue doing:

Chatteremail also supports IMAP idle and works with gmail. I specifically love that I can color code my email according to destination folder (bank alerts, work email, home email, etc) and then show them all in the combined view color coded but threaded chronologically by day and time. I also can set schedules to automatically turn off work email at 7pm-7am and on weekends. Pushing a single button cycles a list of my work emails, then my home emails, or all in the combined view.

Datebk6 allows me to color code different calendars (work, personal, weekend trips, family/friends, bills due, etc) and set schedules to hide/show those to calendars on certain days and times. Event entry in datebk6 is quick and fast with shortcuts. (Shortcuts are preprogrammed phrases like "dinner with____", "samantha & harold", or "chandler and joelle") retrieved by typing option s-lettercombo.) I can create to-dos or events pretty quickly with just a few keystrokes - sometimes without even looking!

Splashshopper is my list maker for wish-list items, travel packing lists, video rental lists, and of course groceries all synced to my Mac Splashshopper Desktop database. I heard they're making an Android version, but it's still to be seen.

Thanks for your input and I hope to get the EVO soon!

Bilgediver

Reaction score
Wow, I got the Palm Treo 700wx, and it was my first smartphone. I loved it. Yea yea it had Windows Mobile but I still enjoyed it. It was a mini-PDA so I could look online and install any .cab file I wanted on it. I later got an HTC Mogul (Verizon vx6800), and loved that one, too (a tad more powerful, larger screen, slide-out keyboard, scroll wheel was freakin awesome!).

But I'm now rockin' Moto Droid 1, rooted, custom UD eXtreme 8.0.0 ROM with ADW Launcher, sportin y0rk's White theme.

I'm enjoying my phone experience immensely :)

GlenHurley

Reaction score
I used palm smartphones for years. I HATE the way the DROID is set up for business. Its a toy for kids who want to play games and play on the internet. The contact manager is a joke and the daytimer calendar app that comes with it is useless. Ive looked and looked for a decent csledar with reliable reminders, and no luck. Right now, I think this DROID is an overpriced toy.

orangecountyfell

Reaction score
I came from a palm 750 windows version. I am so glad to be away from windows. The droid incredible is really a great phone. I moved everything from outlook to google and after a few weeks you won't miss outlook. get an apt for to do's and you are set. welcome to the android world.