Palm Users Who Changed to Droid?

lowtech

Reaction score
I used Palm smartphones for years, acutally starting with Handspring, whcih was bought by Palm. My most recent one was a Treo 755P. I knew I would have some adjustments to make when moving to the Droid, with a new and different OS and unfamiliar apps.

I have been happily surprised at the ease with which I have been able to make the switch... certainly more a credit to Android and the Droid than to me! I had become acustomed to my cranky Treo resetting, hiccupping and lagging; the difference is amazing! The Droid actually seems to enjoy its job - a very nice change!

There are a couple of apps I really miss: Dakebk, SplashID, some card games... but overall I really like the installed apps and Oh My! That Market... with all those free goodies!

Before switching I synched everything to Google (contacts, calendar, docs), so the move to the Droid was so clean and simple... no evil USB synching with Outlook!

The learning curve has been much less - and the enjoyment has been much greater - than I expected.

How is your transition from Palm going?

ebean

Reaction score
here i am. a die-hard palm owner switching tomorrow to droid. i just posted re wanting to be a standalone so i will have the syncing (i don't mind).
i am hoping someone makes an intuitive text replacement program like i had called 'text plus' which lets you add your own words and phrases to choose as you type. it was invaluable to me.

OP
lowtech

lowtech

Reaction score
There is a feature that let's you add your own words to the dictionary on the Droid, and it will offer suggestions as you type. I have used it, but I don't really know how to tell you to access it! :) I believe you can find it by searching the forums... it works well!

I hope your switch is as pleasant as mine - report back tomorrow!

here i am. a die-hard palm owner switching tomorrow to droid. i just posted re wanting to be a standalone so i will have the syncing (i don't mind).
i am hoping someone makes an intuitive text replacement program like i had called 'text plus' which lets you add your own words and phrases to choose as you type. it was invaluable to me.

Rewlaz

Reaction score
Oh my...good to hear from other Palm users. I will be getting the Droid soon and I hope all goes well. Now if I can get Verizon to let me get my new phone a month early.:icon_ banana:

OP
lowtech

lowtech

Reaction score
Here is what I did: my New Every 2 was a couple of weeks away. Acting on a tip in a forum, I called Customer Service at Verizon and said, I am a long-time customer (true!) and I want that new phone of yours, but I need to apply every discount and rebate I can get. Can you please arrange it? The rep put me on hold for a few minutes to speak with a supervisor. When she came back, it was done! They really want to move those Droids I'm sure, so there was no argument and no hesitation. And, most surprising of all, the rep in the Verizon store was able to save me $10 a month on my new plan! :biggrin:

The tip on the forum was very specific about calling Verizon a day or so before going to get the phone, as the folks in the stores cannot make those adjustments.

Good luck!

Oh my...good to hear from other Palm users. I will be getting the Droid soon and I hope all goes well. Now if I can get Verizon to let me get my new phone a month early.:icon_ banana:

ndoren

Reaction score
I used Palm smartphones for years, My most recent one was a Treo 755P.

Before switching I synched everything to Google (contacts, calendar, docs), so the move to the Droid was so clean and simple... no evil USB synching with Outlook!

How is your transition from Palm going?

I, too, am switching from a Palm 755p to Droid. Mine's coming in the mail.

How did you sync your Palm 755p to Google? I've never done this, but have a Google account now. I've only ever synced to the palm desktop. Any help would be appreciated. Neall

OP
lowtech

lowtech

Reaction score
Somewhere in Google there is a download for the Google Sync app. You install that and tell it to sync your Outlook calendar. Note: I found out that syncing ONE WAY - to Google only, and only once! - avoids a flood of duplicates. Once it syncs, just update it in Google manually until you get your Droid, which will sync to/from Google when you update either calendar.

For contacts, there is a place in Gmail that tells how to sync contacts from Outlook. The same applies: ONE WAY... to Google.

I used Outlook 2003 but there may be instructions for syncing with the Palm Desktop software. Your best bet is forums - search in Google for syncing - lots of help online!

srothkin

Reaction score
I came from a Treo 650 (Palm OS). I too miss DateBk -- especially the floating events and the alarms that periodically repeat until I acknowledge them. I'm using Astrid as a task list replacement -- it's pretty decent, but not all of the info syncs to Remember the Milk and there doesn't seem to be any way to sync it to Outlook.

OP
lowtech

lowtech

Reaction score
I came from a Treo 650 (Palm OS). I too miss DateBk -- especially the floating events and the alarms that periodically repeat until I acknowledge them. I'm using Astrid as a task list replacement -- it's pretty decent, but not all of the info syncs to Remember the Milk and there doesn't seem to be any way to sync it to Outlook.

Thanks for the tip - I'll try Astrid (I love the one comment in the Market: "I hate this app. It makes me do stuff!") Datebk certainly spoiled me - I miss it every day. But I am enjoying the Eris otherwise!

cinque

Reaction score
previous palm die hard

So I got the moto droid from the 755p and before that I had the 650p and so far it has been a great transition. The android platform is solid and the enhancements made by moto are great but I still miss the simplicity that only palm can offer. I have had the droid for 2weeks and I cannot put this phone down!!!! If I could get a pre on verizon I might have opted for that but they are behind the 8 ball by going to sprint and that is going to hurt them. I hate to say it but I am an android fan!!!! Palm might find there way back into my life but def not in the next 2 years!!!!

-former palm loyalist

:greendroid:

OP
lowtech

lowtech

Reaction score
So I got the moto droid from the 755p and before that I had the 650p and so far it has been a great transition. The android platform is solid and the enhancements made by moto are great but I still miss the simplicity that only palm can offer. I have had the droid for 2weeks and I cannot put this phone down!!!! If I could get a pre on verizon I might have opted for that but they are behind the 8 ball by going to sprint and that is going to hurt them. I hate to say it but I am an android fan!!!! Palm might find there way back into my life but def not in the next 2 years!!!!

-former palm loyalist

I could have written every word of that... even the same Palms. I tried the Droid though, and didn't like the size, the shape, the weight... the Eris suits me perfectly. Looking forward to the update to 2.0 (Eris runs 1.5) and all the new apps coming along!

bernilynn

Reaction score

-former palm loyalist

I could have written every word of that... even the same Palms. I tried the Droid though, and didn't like the size, the shape, the weight... the Eris suits me perfectly. Looking forward to the update to 2.0 (Eris runs 1.5) and all the new apps coming along!

I agree. I've had every Palm since the Pilot- but couldn't stand my husband waving his iPhone in my face. This trumps his, as seen at dinner- we navigated to the restaurant using my Droid, and then read the menu with the led flashlight app (SO much better than his flashlight)!

I'm just waiting for Datebk to come out with an Android version, which should be fairly soon- the Google calendar is terrible. I'm also going to use the new version of Missing Sync for Android to connect Datebk with my iCalendar. Then I'll be a happy camper.

gprichardson1

Reaction score
There are a couple of apps I really miss: Dakebk, SplashID, some card games... but overall I really like the installed apps and Oh My! That Market... with all those free goodies!

Splashdata actually has SplashID for the Droid:

Android Password Manager - SplashID

I use it on my PalmPilot but have yet to venture into moving it over to my Droid. I hope to get to that soon. I've heard that if you're an existing customer and you contact them they may give you a free upgrade to the SplashID desktop for Droid but you'll have to pay for the app, which is $9.95 in the Market.

-Gary

-Gary

jrocketdroid

Reaction score
wow so many former Palm peeps...glad to see I'm not alone...Droid has been awesome!

knightshade

Reaction score
I had long been a user of a Palm 3c (yeah, ancient I know...)
I'd stepped away from it for the past few years, and had been taking a laptop everywhere...

I'm hoping that the Droid will give me the freedom needed to go back to a palmtop... only with much more power.

I should have my droid on Tuesday!