OxygenOS for OnePlus Will Be Created by Former Paranoid Android Developers

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
oneplus-oxygenos-team.jpg

Since CyanogenMod and OnePlus have decided to go their separate ways, that has left OnePlus in need of a new OS for future devices. They already shared they planned on creating a new Android-based OS for their platform and that it would be called OxygenOS. Earlier today OnePlus announced the development team they have hired to build OxygenOS for them.

It turns out that OnePlus has opted to hire some of the lead developers of Paranoid Android (PA), one of the other top-notch custom ROM development teams in the Android community. They shared that the following PA folks will be heading up the development: Aaron Gascoine (co-founder of PA, technical lead), Arz Bhatia (UI/UX lead), Carlo Savignano, Hieu Nguyen, Jesús David Gulfo Agudelo, and Yamil Ghazi. On top of these folks, OnePlus already has a team of 50 engineers dedicated to the project.

Here's a statement from the folks at OnePlus,

We can directly implement user feedback and make it easy for the OnePlus community to shape our ROM and create the OS that they want to use. Integration between hardware, software, and the cloud will become more seamless and unified for everyone using a OnePlus device. By creating our own software, we’re better able to work directly with our users to improve our OS. It’s something we’ve become quite fond of saying: when we work together, amazing things happen.

At this time OnePlus did not clear up how they will handle the organization of things, nor if these folks from Paranoid Android will continue to develop Paranoid Android ROMs. Check out their blog post for more info.

Source: OnePlus

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
This is very interesting. I wonder how this affects Cyanogen in the marketplace going forward. He would be best trying to develop his own phone IMHO, and then to write his own OS from the ground up. The idea of taking a re-baked cake to the party just feels so dirty.

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
PA was one of my favorite roms. I hope this works out for them & they continue to make roms for the community

Tapped from a Nexus 6

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
I like the name of the OS. Hopefully it breaths new life into Android.