Overclocked kernels via ROM Manager

Taegost

Reaction score
Heya,

I installed Kangerade yesterday (I'm liking it so far, and I *love* the NexTheme) but I've noticed something interesting... No matter which kernel I choose, SetCPU will not go over 800MHz. I've tried the 1.2GHz and 1.1GHz kernels that start at both 125 and 250MHz. I've been testing them via ROM Manager using the Kangerade 1.1 Customizer.
I remember when p3Droid first released the kernels for 2.2, the listed speed on the file isn't what it actually was (The 1.2GHz was only 900MHz, but the 1.1GHz was 1.2GHz).
Is there a different set of kernels to use?

wylie

Reaction score
Go into your superuser app and make sure SetCPU has permissions.

OP
Taegost

Taegost

Reaction score
I just double-checked it (I always wondered what that app actually did, every time I looked at it was *before* I used any apps that required SU access) and it is set to Allow.
It *is* overclocking it to 800MHz, and it's switching it up based on my profiles, it's just not going above 800.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I just double-checked it (I always wondered what that app actually did, every time I looked at it was *before* I used any apps that required SU access) and it is set to Allow.
It *is* overclocking it to 800MHz, and it's switching it up based on my profiles, it's just not going above 800.

Open the app and select menu the Device Selection and then Auto Select Speeds. Then after it goes through all the Superuser permissions, move the max speed slider to minimum and then to what ever speed you want to run your Droid.

OP
Taegost

Taegost

Reaction score

Open the app and select menu the Device Selection and then Auto Select Speeds. Then after it goes through all the Superuser permissions, move the max speed slider to minimum and then to what ever speed you want to run your Droid.

Yep, did that with each one :)

EDIT: I may have figured out what it is... After it downloaded the kernels and it rebooted into recovery, it sat at the M logo for quite some time, then the screen flashed, then back to the M logo, then the phone booted normally... It didn't actually reboot into recovery, so it didn't do the Nandroid backup or apply the kernel...
Choosing "Reboot into recovery" worked though, and I'm waiting for it to finish the backup so I can flash the kernel :)

Last edited:
OP
Taegost

Taegost

Reaction score
Yep, that was the problem, I *thought* it was installing the kernels because I set it and forget it like I always do... It wasn't until I tried it just now and propped the phone up in front of my monitor that I noticed what was happening!
I'm back up to 1.2GHz now, woot!

naman919

Reaction score
alternate problem but good thread to post to.

I'm using Rom Manager to install a P3 kernel and when it boots into recovery it goes into 5 consecutive error messages that it can't access devblock0 (or something like that) then boots to recovery.

Anyone else seen this issue before?

I'm going to just install the .zip file manually that has the kernel. Just miss the automated process :)