Our Verizon contract is up. Can I switch Droid 2 to a prepay company?

dianebk2003

Reaction score
We have the unlimited family plan on Verizon for two Droid 2 phones. The contract is finally up. I want to switch to a prepay carrier, but I can't find the exact answer to my question anywhere.

Can we keep our Droid 2 phones if we switch to a prepay company? We can't afford to buy new phones, but we also can't afford to stay with Verizon!

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

macpro88

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
We have the unlimited family plan on Verizon for two Droid 2 phones. The contract is finally up. I want to switch to a prepay carrier, but I can't find the exact answer to my question anywhere.

Can we keep our Droid 2 phones if we switch to a prepay company? We can't afford to buy new phones, but we also can't afford to stay with Verizon!

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

I do believe the Droid 2 will only work on VZW. You can ask if you can use them on their prepay plans. But most prepay companies use the GSM network while VZW uses the CDMA network, and the phones, older phones like the Droid 2 at least, cannot work on both.

stickkman

Reaction score
You can activate the droid 2 on page plus cellular which has unlimited everything for like 39.99 no tax or fees a month. As long as the esn is not bad it will program OTA no problem. Just did mine earlier 2day. Page plus runs off of verizon towers. Cheapest prepay I have ever found been with them for like 3 years. Verizon phones every time. Just make sure when you add the esn to their system DONT do it online, call the 1800 number and do it over the phone. There website sucks. Guess that's how they save money.

Lolee71

Reaction score
I have a droid x2 activated on Verizon's $80.00 a month prepaid plan. Unlimited talk, unlimited pix/txt messages and 2 Gb of data. I have not even used half my data and my month is up in 6 days but I do have wifi at home. My droid works just the same as it did on a contact just a hell of a lot cheaper.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Droid Forums

n8sdroid2

Reaction score
A little word of advice. My finance has the $80 month Verizon pre pay also. But never pay your bill early always pay it on the day the bill is due. My finance paid hers early and all it does is put $80 on the account and then it starts charging you for every txt you send or call you make. And they will not refund you at all.