OTA FRG83G Files

bnpdp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
God's Phone aka Pixel 3 XL
Does anyone have a link to the update.zip for FRG83G (2.2.2)?

Thank you.

DoctorDeDroid

Reaction score

log

Reaction score
Has anyone tried to install these over a failed install of 83G? My install never went through... got the update prompt, phone seemed to reboot, but it still says 2.2.1 FRG83D... and as a bonus, it won't boot into recovery any more.

What do you mean failed install of 83G?

I had a rooted FRG83D and just ran the 83D-G update.zip (after manually fixing su permissions and disabling stock recovery) and everything is working great.

If you lost root/recovery, I'd suggest first installing the signed full FRG83D and then use MotoCache1's method to root it.

gduper

Reaction score
Has anyone tried to install these over a failed install of 83G? My install never went through... got the update prompt, phone seemed to reboot, but it still says 2.2.1 FRG83D... and as a bonus, it won't boot into recovery any more.

I had a rooted FRG83D and just ran the 83D-G update.zip (after manually fixing su permissions and disabling stock recovery) and everything is working great.

If you lost root/recovery, I'd suggest first installing the signed full FRG83D and then use MotoCache1's method to root it.

What do you mean when you say "(after manually fixing su permissions and disabling stock recovery)"??? What permissions did you fix and how...and how did you disable the stock recovery (when you initially rooted, or some other way??)

DoctorDeDroid

Reaction score

What I mean is I got the notification for the update (I'm stock, no root) and followed the update procedure. The restart was very quick (as if it didn't really go all the way down)... when I checked the about page in settings it said I was still on 2.2.1 FRG83D. I'm not sure if a non-rooted phone can boot into recovery mode (I don't see why not but I'll concede I'm a bit lacking in knowledge in this arena) but if it is able to, I can't. The phone ostensibly works, but I don't know if the update system is hosed or not.

log

Reaction score
Ah ok.

Verizon will try to push the OTA update to you again eventually if your fingerprint is still FRG83D. Try again see what happens.

If it still doesn't work, you can install the "full FRG83D" update (unmodified) on a stock recovery since it's signed. Or worst case just do the "factory wipe/reset" and I'm sure Verizon will push you all the latest updates OTA.

log

Reaction score
What do you mean when you say "(after manually fixing su permissions and disabling stock recovery)"??? What permissions did you fix and how...and how did you disable the stock recovery (when you initially rooted, or some other way??)

Short version, I will skip some unnecessary details to keep it as simple as possible. I previously have rooted FRG83D and installed sprecovery as my custom recovery.

1) Download the official signed FRG83D->FRG83G update.zip
2) Unzip and edit META-INF\com\google\android\updater-script

Comment out line 650 with a # or delete it entirely
Code:
#package_extract_dir("recovery", "/system");

Add the second line "set_perm" after line 653 "set_perm recursive" shown below

Code:
set_perm_recursive(0, 2000, 0755, 0755, "/system/bin");
set_perm(0, 0, 6755, "/system/bin/su");
3) rezip and copy root of SD card and boot into recovery -- sprecovery will install the update.zip without checking the signature (which would fail on standard recovery)

edit: if you want to learn more about how your custom recovery will be lost with OTA update read the excellent article by MotoCache1 with a detailed explanation

yakitori

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score

Short version, I will skip some unnecessary details to keep it as simple as possible. I previously have rooted FRG83D and installed sprecovery as my custom recovery.

1) Download the official signed FRG83D->FRG83G update.zip
2) Unzip and edit META-INF\com\google\android\updater-script

Comment out line 50 with a # or delete it entirely
Code:
#package_extract_dir("recovery", "/system");

Add the second line "set_perm" after line 653 "set_perm recursive" shown below

Code:
set_perm_recursive(0, 2000, 0755, 0755, "/system/bin");
set_perm(0, 0, 6755, "/system/bin/su");
3) rezip and copy root of SD card and boot into recovery -- sprecovery will install the update.zip without checking the signature (which would fail on standard recovery)

edit: if you want to learn more about how your custom recovery will be lost with OTA update read the excellent article by MotoCache1 with a detailed explanation

I dont know what line is what...since I use notepad to make these edits.

Can you possible host the edited script file...so that way I can just replace the one in the update with the edits you made...and install it that way?

log

Reaction score
Sorry, don't want to do this for a couple of reasons and I don't feel the need to explain.

I'd rather you understand exactly what/where you are making changes and don't really have the time to support this method so I'd recommend using MotoCache1's method for a rock solid root every time on any version, including 2.2.2!

edit: line was 650/653.... these are all at very bottom of the file if you can't use line numbers should be easy to find -- if you or anyone else feels comfortable with using this method, go for it.

DoctorDeDroid

Reaction score
How to...

Ah ok.

Verizon will try to push the OTA update to you again eventually if your fingerprint is still FRG83D. Try again see what happens.

If it still doesn't work, you can install the "full FRG83D" update (unmodified) on a stock recovery since it's signed. Or worst case just do the "factory wipe/reset" and I'm sure Verizon will push you all the latest updates OTA.

Am I supposed to boot into stock recovery? As in hitting the power button while holding down the "x" key? If I'm supposed to boot into recovery, well that's one of the nice aftereffects of this failed update... the attempt fails with the yellow triangle of doom. (triangle with the exclamation point in it that usually indicates a failed update). I've done battery pulls and wasted a bunch of time with verizon tech support. I have no idea if my droid is hosed in other ways... so far it still has its basic function. How about the update (D->G zip file)? I cannot recall how to apply these files otherwise.

>>>> correction <<<<<
So I now can get into the stock recovery thanks to jntdroid. so no need for a reply on this one... sorry for the noise!

OP
B

bnpdp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
God's Phone aka Pixel 3 XL
Log, thanks for the links.

tnronin

Reaction score
Well I bricked my phone. Just damn. I have a bootloop at the eye/droid. I can't figure out how to get to the stock recovery. I do the X with power and get the triangle with the "!" on it. I've pulled the sd card, and I have to pull the battery to get out of the loop. Dang it! I could really use some help or suggestions.

I hope this doesn't go ignored like so many of my calls for help.

kichard

Reaction score
What kind of phone??

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums

tnronin

Reaction score
D1, I'm trying to go back rooted/stock, 2.0.1 wouldn't allow me to use a bunch of paid apps. I am hoping to go back to basic like I had it. If I don't throw it through a window first.