Original Droid constantly trying to sign-in to Google

mitchill1

Reaction score
I have an original Droid (Model A855), and the stupid thing has an annoying habit of repeatedly trying to sign itself in to Google. When it fails, it pops up a notification in the bar. When I push it, I get a character string to type in, which I do, then I get another, which I do, then I get the first string again, which I do, then it goes away for a bit. But, before long, I start getting failed sign-in to Google messages again. This is ridiculous. How can I stop it from doing this? Any help would be appreciated.

jimmydene84

Reaction score
Turn sync off?? If u r rooted sounds like its time for a full wipe....

Sent from my Droid

OP
M

mitchill1

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply.

Turn sync off?? If u r rooted sounds like its time for a full wipe....

Sent from my Droid

The Accounts and Sync Settings are as follows:
Background data: check
Auto-sync: check
My corporate email: active
Google: inactive

And in the Google account...
Sync contacts: unchecked
Sync gmail: unchecked
Sync calendar: unchecked

If I push "remove account" it tells me that I cannot without resetting the factory defaults, which I am hesitant to do since I do not want to need my tech guy at work to have to set-up my email and all of that again. I have asked him about this problem and he has no idea.

jimmydene84

Reaction score
Yea, since its a "google" phone, u have to have a gmail acct to use the phone, try setting the google sync options to actually sync?

Sent from my Droid

OP
M

mitchill1

Reaction score
Yea, since its a "google" phone, u have to have a gmail acct to use the phone, try setting the google sync options to actually sync?

Sent from my Droid

Hmm... maybe I'll try that. I'll also try to reestablish that Gmail account even though I have never used it (and have no intention of using it).

Thanks for the guidance.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yes the phone is requesting something to do with maps or location checking, and in order to do that it needs you to be signed in.

OP
M

mitchill1

Reaction score
Yes the phone is requesting something to do with maps or location checking, and in order to do that it needs you to be signed in.

I figured that it was something happening in the background... something that had absolutely nothing to do with what I am asking the phone to do.

I hate it that companies cannot just let the user decidew what to run or what to download without piggy-backing their own little ideas or processes.

Thanks.

drust

Reaction score

I figured that it was something happening in the background... something that had absolutely nothing to do with what I am asking the phone to do.

I hate it that companies cannot just let the user decidew what to run or what to download without piggy-backing their own little ideas or processes.

Thanks.

welcome to the corporate world

try and buy any computer without Microsoft windows (sorry to get off topic)
near impossible to get one with no os

its not like your buying a gmail account.. its free and it backs up all contacts and such to your account. so if your phone breaks, stolen, etc. you link ur google account and boom everything is back including most of your apps.

i give them a gold star for merit

ps. nandroid works the best with titanium back up though (like you never changed phones)

Gunslinger

Reaction score
near impossible to get one with no os

Seriously? Barebones PCs are a huge business, and are extremely easy to get. Newegg, tiger direct, pricewatch...have you ever looked for one?

dancedroid

drust

Reaction score
sorry i was not specific on my off topic reference

i dont want a no name barbones laptop
just a name brand with no os
hate windows and dont see why i should pay for it just to delete it

MQAAord

Reaction score

Our local Apple store is full of them...! :D

(Sorry, had to toss that out there :) )

I actually LOVE that my Droid backs up my contacts n' stuff to Google. I never have to worry about losing all my contacts if something were to happen to Droid. My brother-in-law, an iPhone user, didn't back up his contacts to anything (he's not a Mac user, so his phone was synched to a PC iTunes), and when his iPhone took a dump he lost ALL his contacts. *shakes head*

I have had my Droid hiccup every once in a while and log in to gmail will fail. I just tell it to try again, and it signs in fine the next time. Not a big deal, and it only happens very rarely.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Let me see if I understand this. The OP is asking why his Droid, which is a Google phone, is asking to sign into Google? :confused:

I think this is what happens when you spit into the wind.

Or maybe I'm not understanding. I do know this is in the wrong part of the forum, let me move it to another area.

OP
M

mitchill1

Reaction score
Let me see if I understand this. The OP is asking why his Droid, which is a Google phone, is asking to sign into Google? :confused:

I think this is what happens when you spit into the wind.

Or maybe I'm not understanding. I do know this is in the wrong part of the forum, let me move it to another area.

You certainly are misunderstanding... please re-read the original post.

I am wanting to know why it has sign-in problems, whether the settings are programmed to sync or not, then when I type in the character string, I have to do so 3 times, only to have to repeat the exact same procedure day after day.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Thanks.

This may be true, but there a lot of things on the phone that require a gmail account to work, and the fact you aren't letting it send data at anytime, may be the issue.

That is what I meant. You needed to have the account to have the phone. it makes the phone what it is, so why did you get it if you don't want to use the phones features? (just a question, not being a jerk here)

davidel57

Reaction score
sync problem

Searched through the forums trying to find this answer. Google "calendar" was syncing all the time, wouldn't stop. It was draining my battery in short order. Found the answer here. Thanks. daviddancedroid