OnePlus To Raise OnePlus 3 Price Thanks To Brexit

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

The OnePlus 3 may become more expensive in the UK thanks to Brexit. The new EU Referendum and impending Brexit have caused a volatile situation for the OP3 market in the UK. The company may decide to hike the price up in response to the falling value of the GBP.

A OnePlus 3 Spokesman had this to say on the company's blog:

the worrying downward trend of the GBP may make it difficult to maintain our current pricing structure in the UK."

"Our margins have always been thin, and our expenses are mainly in USD. This being the case, sudden drops such as the one that the Pound has recently experienced could have a direct impact on our prices.

The company is warning customers who have intentions of buying the device to do so now rather than later. The company will give several days of notice before increasing the price.

via Wired

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Wouldn't this become a volatile situation for every manufacturer?

Narsil

Silver Member
Reaction score
I think that Britain's economy will bounce back more quickly than a lot of people suspect.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
One + will raise the price of the 1 + 3 by 20 pounds on 11 July..

Rant from Engadget:

"Without getting too economical about the whole thing -- and yes, I know that's incorrect word usage -- every international company that sells anything within the UK is feeling exactly the same financial pressures as a result of the devalued pound. And yet, none of them are scrambling to put up prices less than two weeks after the Brexit result. I'm even happy to accept OnePlus survives on "extremely thin [profit] margins," but not so keen to believe "the simple fact is that there won't be a OnePlus in the future" if the company doesn't react to the market like a veteran gunslinger.

OnePlus isn't a startup. In fact, it's effectively a subsidiary of Oppo, the fourth largest smartphone manufacturer in the world and itself, a subsidiary of a bigger consumer tech corporation. In short, OnePlus will not thrive or collapse on account of an extra £20 per device. Curiously, OnePlus is also supporting its decision on the basis of the pound to US dollar exchange rate, though it does claim "our expenses are mainly in USD" -- curious because OnePlus is a Chinese company headquartered in Shenzhen. Shouldn't the more important numbers be the pound to Chinese yuan exchange rate, then? For clarity, this has also taken a significant hit following the Brexit vote.

Finally, nothing is forcing OnePlus to move its hard-earned pounds into other currencies before some sort of favourable recovery. That's unlikely to happen any time soon, however, so OnePlus is actually making a sensible business decision to pass the losses onto the consumer as soon as possible. Just don't express sympathy for the company for doing so.

Rant over. The OnePlus 3 will cost £329 from next Monday".

As I have said in the past.. I question their ethics....