Official CM9 nightly builds have made their way to the Samsung Galaxy S3

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
images

Several of you have strayed away from pre-ordering the Samsung Galaxy S3 and its touchwiz interface! Alot of folks were afraid that this device would not receive the same sort of developer support as the Galaxy Nexus. While the SGS3 may not become exactly as popular as a pure Nexus device the fact that it will be such a popular device to the consumer will grab the attention of many developers. The SGS3 had already received over 9 million pre orders before it released to the UK on May 29th! With that many devices floating around you know we are sure to see some awesome development!

Some people had predicted that we would only see Touchwiz based Roms for a while and that we wouldn't see pure AOSP for atleast a month after the initial release. That has generally been the case for phones with a manufacture skin. However TeamHacksung has already got CM9 stable enough for official nightlies on this device! It has only been about 20 days since the UK release. There are a few little glitches such as No FM radio support, Camera flash causes problems, and the Led light doesn't come on when charging.

Most of you that hang out in these forums are subscribed to Verizon. It should be noted that these nightly builds are for the international GSM version of the phone. We have not even been given an official release date from Verizon for when our phones should be arriving, but it is nice to see just how hackable the international version of the phone is. Hopefully Verizon won't force Samsung to lock down our devices. Samsung has been pretty open about making their phones developer friendly, and if our version is as hackable as the International version then you can be assured to see lots of development and lots of sweet Roms for this device!

Via XDA

bikrgran

Reaction score
Dummy here

:blink: This whole thing is Greek to me. What is CM9? What is a nightly build? I'm assuming by "hackable" you mean that developers can create software for it, not hack the phone for phishing, trojans, etc.

Being poor, I'm sure I will never be able to afford the SGS3, but it's my "dream machine" just from reading about it.

Bikrgran
Droid X still plugging along

_33

Reaction score
I think when I get mine, I'm just gonna root it. I want to give the Touch Wiz a legit try.

_33

Reaction score
:blink: This whole thing is Greek to me. What is CM9? What is a nightly build? I'm assuming by "hackable" you mean that developers can create software for it, not hack the phone for phishing, trojans, etc.

Being poor, I'm sure I will never be able to afford the SGS3, but it's my "dream machine" just from reading about it.

Bikrgran
Droid X still plugging along

It's a ROM. All the info is here...

CyanogenMod | Android Community Rom based on Ice Cream Sandwich

OP
DroidModderX

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
_33 said:
I think when I get mine, I'm just gonna root it. I want to give the Touch Wiz a legit try.

I'm kinda with you on that. I've never had a touchwiz phone.