Odd? Battery issue

BPB

Reaction score
I got an extended battery from Seidio and I charged it overnight (but not 24 hours). Anyway, long story short, I've let it run down and charge a few times, but this time I decided to let it run down all the way until the phone powered off. Basically I've been using it, continuously, with the battery level indicator at 5% for the past FIVE hours! (Under the phone's About menu in Settings it says the phone has been unplugged from the charger for about 8 hours and 55 minutes.) That includes typing this forum post.
So, is my phone battery meter recalibrating itself? The extended battery is 2600 mAh which is quite a jump over the stock battery. Does this make sense to anyone?
BPB

Last edited:

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I got an extended battery from Seidio and I charged it overnight (but not 24 hours). Anyway, long story short, I've let it run down and charge a few times, but this time I decided to let it run down all the way until the phone powered off. Basically I've been using it, continuously, with the battery level indicator at 5% for the past FIVE hours! (Under the phone's About menu in Settings it says the phone has been unplugged from the charger for about 8 hours and 55 minutes.) That includes typing this forum post.
So, is my phone battery meter recalibrating itself? The extended battery is 2600 mAh which is quite a jump over the stock battery. Does this make sense to anyone?
BPB

You know it's not necessary to do that anymore. Run it down until it completely discharges. These batteries don't have memory like the old generation of batteries.

You may not really be at 5% on your battery. Try a reset on the phone and see if the setting on the battery changes. There is a known bug that causes a false read out and it doesn't happen all the time, I've only experienced it once.

If that doesn't change the read out on the battery then that's one heck of a battery you got in that phone.:)

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
You know it's not necessary to do that anymore. Run it down until it completely discharges. These batteries don't have memory like the old generation of batteries.

You may not really be at 5% on your battery. Try a reset on the phone and see if the setting on the battery changes. There is a known bug that causes a false read out and it doesn't happen all the time, I've only experienced it once.

If that doesn't change the read out on the battery then that's one heck of a battery you got in that phone.:)

Ah, this again:icon_ banana:... BOTH Moto and Seidio recommend running the batteries down for a reason (upon initial use and a few times a year)... no the batteries don't have memories but the power management software needs to be calibrated to the batteries capabilities (i.e. charge rate, charge potential (which is ALWAYS decreasing) and discharge rates). Actually ANY device you by with a Li-ion battery will instruct similar (my new Hitachi Li-Ion cordless drill has the same instructions).

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Ah, this again:icon_ banana:... BOTH Moto and Seidio recommend running the batteries down for a reason (upon initial use and a few times a year)... no the batteries don't have memories but the power management software needs to be calibrated to the batteries capabilities (i.e. charge rate, charge potential (which is ALWAYS decreasing) and discharge rates). Actually ANY device you by with a Li-ion battery will instruct similar (my new Hitachi Li-Ion cordless drill has the same instructions).

I don't disagree with that. It's just that some people think they still have to run the battery down all the time. I was just making sure, that's all.:)

OP
BPB

BPB

Reaction score
OK, let me take a bit of advice from both of you; if I let the battery completely run down and then "revive" the device by recharging it, will that correctly re-calibrate the battery gauge in the phone?
I've done some study on this forum but still am a bit confused. Thanks for the info!

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
I don't disagree with that. It's just that some people think they still have to run the battery down all the time. I was just making sure, that's all.:)

Point taken

OK, let me take a bit of advice from both of you; if I let the battery completely run down and then "revive" the device by recharging it, will that correctly re-calibrate the battery gauge in the phone?
I've done some study on this forum but still am a bit confused. Thanks for the info!

Well, yes and no. lol. Sorry no simple answer. Moto recommends doing it twice and I can't recall Seidio's recommendation. But in short the power management systems are ALWAYS adjusting and calibrating themselves. There is a known/reported issue with the Seidio batteries. There's another thread on it if you want to search for it but apparently the Seidio battery and the power management system don't play well together (Seidio blames Moto but I've had problems with their batteries in the past, so...).

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

No, I think you misunderstood what I was saying. Whether you let the battery run down completely will have nothing to do with the battery gauge on the phone.

A simple reset of the phone (turn off/turn on) would show if that happens to be why you are still at 5%. Your battery gauge would show a correction if the bug is keeping it at 5%. What we were discussing was maintenance of the battery itself. On that issue I do agree with KZIWarrior, that it's ok to periodically run down the battery, it just isn't necessary to do it all the time.

Hope that clears it up for you.

OP
BPB

BPB

Reaction score
I think so...it's either a bug with the Seidio battery/moto phone or the phone's calibration is off by a bit. Either way the extra power is still there so I guess I'm good.

unclebill

Reaction score
Does Sedio's instructions say anything about resetting the phone when you install their battery? Does their website mention this? Can you call their customer service number and ask? It would be interesting to know the real answer. My suspicion is that the software in your phone which monitors the battery doesn't "know" the battery capacity and is giving you false readings.