NVIDIA's Shield Tablet Now Getting Android 5.0 Lollipop Rollout

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Nvidia-Shield-Tablet-Preview-2.jpeg

NVIDIA kept their promise and starting pushing out Android 5.0 Lollipop to their Shield Tablet this morning. This means NVIDIA's tablet is the first non-Nexus tablet device to get Lollipop. Along with the update, NVIDIA is also starting up their GRID Gaming Service.

Sound off if you are one of the lucky folks with this tablet who have received the update already!

Narsil

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'll have to check mine when I get home. One reason nVidia is able to push the updates so quickly is they didn't skin Android on the tablet. It has an extra menu under settings and a couple extra nVidia apps, but other than that, it's essentially a Nexus tablet.

With a micro-SD card slot...

Narsil

Silver Member
Reaction score
I did have the update and I did something I have not done before. I ran the update without checking the update thread on XDA. I had unlocked my bootloader and rooted my Shield Tablet via Towelroot. Easy Peasy. With each of the previous two (or three, I don't remember exactly) updates, I checked the XDA thread to make sure it didn't do anything nasty. They never did anything nastier than making me reinstall busybox or rerun Towelroot and reinstall busybox.

This update to Lollipop broke root, deleted Superuser, and required ADB fastboot pushing a customized boot-root.img file and ADB flashing Superuser. Apparently the issue is with Lollipop, not anything nVidia did. Grrrr.

Anyway, after an hour of research and fiddling, I'm running a rooted 5.0 minus the ads with fixed SD card permissions.