Now i gotta get another tablet for my other kid :\

tuffD1

Reaction score
Got my 5 year old daughter a new tablet for her birthday(under protest at first), but it I will also be using it(now that I've played with it). It is a Nabi2 and it is pretty sweet. Anyone else have one or has read about it? How do you guys like it?
Here's the specs- 7-inch, Capacitive, Multi-Touch Display, 1024 x 600 Resolution

CPU: NVIDIA® Tegra® 3, Super 4-PLUS-1™ Quad Core with 5th Battery Saver Core

Storage: 8 GB, Expandable via MicroSD (Up to 32 GB); Plus 2 GB FREE Cloud Storage

Memory: 1GB RAM

Camera: 2MP Front Facing Camera 720p Video

Battery: 3,850 mAh Rechargeable Lithium-ion Battery

Size & Weight: (with Drop-Safe Bumper)

Width: 8.69 Inches (220.8 mm) Height: 6.05 Inches (153.7 mm) Depth: 1.14 Inches (29.08 mm) Weight: 1.31 Pounds (596 g)

Network: Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n Bluetooth 3.0

Input / Output:

Micro USB 2.0 Port Mini HDMI MicroSD Compatible Cartridge Slot 3.5 mm Standard Audio Jack Built-In Microphone DC Connector

Audio + Video Format: Audio: MP3, AAC Video: MPEG-4, H.263, H.264

In the Box: nabi™ Tablet, Power Adapter (supports 100-240V), USB Cable, Product Information

Sent from my DROID3 because my DROID1 is on vacation.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Don't have that tablet, or a tablet anymore...I did have a Xoom.

How much did that Tablet cost you if you don't mind me asking? I'm thinking about a Nexus 7, but those expenses just got used towards another toy:D

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
I thought about getting one for my daughter. She loves playing on my Touchpad. Is the Nabi2 the one sold through Toys R Us??

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

OP
tuffD1

tuffD1

Reaction score
Paid $199.99+tax at Wal-Mart. Sounds crazy when you know its targeted for kids. The kid mode is just a user interface with simple kids apps like games and learning tools. There is an easy switch to the regular android os via app+password.

It is the same one in the Toys R Us ad.(with a bundle, I believe?) I left WalMart knowing I've seen it somewhere when my GF said it was the same one in the ad w/bundle. Oh well. Still happy with the purchase.

Downside, not Google certified or some deal like that, so no google apps or google play. I was able to get amazom app store installed. Tomorrow I start searching the webz for hints/tips/tricks. Maybe hacks?

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
I bet you can get the play store on there somehow. The price ain't bad either. I might look into this for a xmas gift.

OP
tuffD1

tuffD1

Reaction score
I will try and do some simple sd card, apk transfers later on.

OP
tuffD1

tuffD1

Reaction score
Update: Out of curiosity, I called support and I learned how to get into recovery mode. (Volume Up and Power) It was all very familiar ;) . Tonight I will try to install google play.

OP
tuffD1

tuffD1

Reaction score
No dice. I can see the market layout for a fraction of a second, then a automatic force close.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
No dice. I can see the market layout for a fraction of a second, then a automatic force close.

Probably need more than just the apk. I'm sure there's a way.

OP
tuffD1

tuffD1

Reaction score
I also found a google play download from mediafire that didn't work either. Im sure there is someone who is more tech savvy that will find or make some tweaks to this tablet. I'm hoping soon. I already got a Stealth Shield screen protector on it, and would like to be rocking the new animal shape cases at work when their released for sale.

Attachments

• nabi-tablet-2.jpg
    nabi-tablet-2.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 931
  • nabi-tablet-2-1.jpg
    nabi-tablet-2-1.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 8,131

dscan

Reaction score
Try uninstalling it then:

- Installing the APK, and afterwards just hit done and close out of the app. Don't open it up.
- Restart the tablet
- Go to the full android portion of the tablet and open it up.

This seems to be the way most have got it to work.

dvdmon

Reaction score
It is the same one in the Toys R Us ad.(with a bundle, I believe?) I left WalMart knowing I've seen it somewhere when my GF said it was the same one in the ad w/bundle. Oh well. Still happy with the purchas

Seems to be a little confusion about this. The original Nabi came out last November and was exclusively sold by Toys R Us. That model was discontinued a few months ago. The Nabi 2 came out in mid-to-late July and is being sold at a bunch of retailers including Walmart, Walmart.com, Best Buy, Bestbuy.com, Amazon.com, Target.com, Gamestop, and Gapestop.com. At least here in the US. It's also slated to go on sale later this month in the UK and Canada, and in other countries later in the year...

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
I like that it's targeted to a specific market but I'd be very tempted to grab a Nexus at that price point =p

dvdmon

Reaction score
I like that it's targeted to a specific market but I'd be very tempted to grab a Nexus at that price point =p

The Nexus definitely beats it if you are looking at hardware and specs alone. But if you are at all concerned about your kid accessing stuff they shouldn't be, then the parental ccontrols on the Nabi just can't be replicated on a Nexus 7 I don't think. But also it comes with a lot of educational software built into as well as a chore management system that lets kids earn "coins" that they can use to buy apps in Nabi's App Zone (kid-safe app store), not to mention a lot of kid-centric accessories (cases, but also puzzle pieces that fit on the back, nameplates with stickers, etc.) If your kid is older than, say 11, then it might be a bit less ideal, but from what I see, younger kids go nuts over it.