Notification Power Control

mattXdezzi

Reaction score
So I think everyone has realized that the widgetsoid/extended controls/etc notification power control options no longer work in Gingerbread. I think i saw somewhere that the Widgetsoid dev said it is no longer an app permission and must be done through the ROM. The current solution is having a pop-up open up to edit the power options (very annoying). Has anyone seen any alternatives that allow for control in the notification area? Has Jrummy said anything about including it in Liberty?

RevNumbers

Reaction score
I started digging through the cyanogenmod source tree last night/this morning trying to find references to how they do it, and I'm kinda coming up short... if anybody has pointers on where to start I'd be happy to try and come up with something... but I have to say up front it's probably going to be a bit over my head programming wise... but I'm happy to see what i can do

armedmonkey

Reaction score
I would look for xmls in the layout folder. I think there is one in there named something like 'status' which controls the layout of the notification shade.

However, IDK how you would get it so you could add controls in there =\.

edit: perhaps ask on the cm7 forums.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
This is not something that can be done in Liberty. To modify the notifications you have to modify the framework. Which for the D2, CM is the only from source ROM. Its not a simple xml edit.

sent from somewhere...

Last edited:

TheSwaggeR

Reaction score
What I would really love to see is something similar to CM7's Theme Manager. People make themes, you download, go to Theme Manager and choose which Theme you're interested in, hit Apply, reboot. Ta da! All done. None of that wipe cache, flash this and that, etc.

Now... what is my point? Something like Code Themer. If we have the ability to write codes and add stuff to it, like power control to the Notification bar, we'd write it, test it, and apply it like it was a Theme. Only thing I wouldn't do, is sell the codes and stuff. That may not sit well with the developer(s). This would be just an option (feature) that comes with the ROM as a do-it-yourself thing. We could contribute the codes to the developers, get credit for it and whatever. This would also make it a lot easier on some people who have a hard time trying to find and pinpoint what they like to change or add to it. So, in the Code Themer, it would have a whole category of different sections of what makes up the ROM, select one folder (Status bar/Notification bar for instance), it'll provide you everything that makes it function and show what all it contains so you can easily pick out what you want to edit, change png's out of, xml, etc. You get the idea.

I would kill for an option like this. I have a hard enough time finding different things and worry about that I may have missed an area to edit so my theme project is complete. It makes me wonder if I edit something like... Phone.apk. Do I need to also edit parts of that somewhere else too? Who knows. But simplicity from this idea would bring customizing ROMs, Themes, and such to an entirely new and different level.

Last edited: