Notification light no longer working

Big Fish

Reaction score
I don't know when this starting happening, but my notification light is not working anymore. I've only had the phone for about a month or so. The only thing that I thought could have caused this was a Tasker profile that I used to use on my rooted Razr. It was setup to disable the notification LED, along with a couple other tasks, when it was docked. I tried removing that task, but it still doesn't work.

Today I installed Light Flow Lite, thinking that I could somehow turn them back on within the app. I couldn't figure it out and I even tried to test the notification lights within the Tools section of the app and nothing lit up.

Any ideas?

Android version 4.4
19.6.3.obake-maxx_verizon.Verizon.en.US

doniago

Reaction score
If you're in warranty I'd consider tapping it.

You could also try a Factory Data Reset to see if that brings your notification light back.

doogald

Reaction score
There is no notification light on the Droid Maxx. There is an LED that is only used when the battery is too discharged to power the screen while the phone is plugged in. Otherwise, Active Display replaced the notification LED.

OP
B

Big Fish

Reaction score
So, you're saying that there is no longer LED notifications because of Active Display? I just recently turned off Active Display. What happens when it's disabled? I could have sworn that I was getting LED notifications earlier.

doogald

Reaction score
So, you're saying that there is no longer LED notifications because of Active Display? I just recently turned off Active Display. What happens when it's disabled? I could have sworn that I was getting LED notifications earlier.

That's what I'm saying, yes. There has never been a notification light on the Droid Maxx, or the Ultra, or the Moto X. Motorola decided to use active display to replace that function. Because it still uses an lcd display, rather than amoled, the Droid Mini still had the notification led.

Nothing bad happens when you turn off active display except you get no visible indication that there is an app notification that has happened since the last time you powered the phone on. The Maxx has a low power processor that controls active display and notifications so it doesn't consume much battery at all.