Notification/LED issues

moetown

Reaction score
1. I'm having some weird issues with the notifications and the LED. First of all with out the use of a third party app I am unable to get the phone to vibrate when I receive a a gmail message. It will make a sound and I get the LED usually to come on. The Droid1 does this flawlessly.

2. The LED doesn't always seem to want to come on, even if the screen is off. Some text messages I never know I have because I have no LED light. Also when charging I thought the LED light lightup, nope it's blank the whole time.

I would love to get these fixed with out the use of a third party app.

Beeblebrox

Reaction score
My LED only comes on once when I receive a notification. This is when the screen is off. If I turn the screen on and then off again, it blinks once and that's it.

I should say this behavior was before installing anything. None of the apps to customize the LED light work.

gsDroid

Reaction score
I just called my bionic from another phone and let it ring twice, then I hung up. Right away, I got a notification. I turned off the screen and the led blinked. I turned on the screen and the led stopped blinking, but I still had the notification. Turned screen off, led blinked. Turned on screen, had notification and led turned off. Did this several times and as long as I didn't clear the notification, the led would blink every time the screen was off. Once I cleared the notification, the led would not blink with the screen off. This is how I would expect it to work and if yours doesn't, then you may have a faulty device and should have it replaced. In another thread, a poster claimed his led didn't work, but found out his phone case was hiding the led. Once the case was off he could see the led.

ChristianB

Reaction score
I'm getting LED on new texts (via settings in VZ's text message client), getting it for GMail (via Google's gmail client), and I'm not getting it for visual voicemail and haven't found a setting for that yet.

Note that it seems all the led notification is controlled by client software and not system level settings -- seems this way to me anyway.

earlyhike

Reaction score
It's there but useless

I had the same concern. The led only works as gsDroid described. It only blinks green right when the phone goes to sleep. Otherwise it never blinks at all. Though, I'm not sure why gsDroid believes this is appropriate behavior. It might be how the phone currently functions but it has no use to the user. It should blink a specific color at regular intervals while the phone is asleep so a user know they missed a call, email, or text without actually turning on the phone.

I went in to a VZ store who admitted they had no idea. They called VZ tech support who had no documentation of this issue in their system. Tech support even said their is no acknowledgment of an LED in their documentation.

So no one is admitting that the LED exists or if it does that there is a problem with it.

It is CLEARLY there and functional but completely useless as it can't be used to notify you of anything. So I believe the HOPE is that an update will soon make the LED functional. Until then no one is admitting a problem.

I was told by VZ to use the "NoLED" app in the mean time.

earlyhike

Reaction score
UPDATE:

Just got off the phone with Motorolla who absolutely confirmed that the Droid Bionic DOES have an led notification light and it should blink with notifications while in sleep mode. If it doesn't you DO need to exchange for a new phone regardless of how confused Verizon might be.

BrianWin33

Reaction score
LightFLow fixes all of the LED problems.....it even lets the leds blink when the screen is on...you can get in the market....don't think it is free though...but cheap..

earlyhike

Reaction score
Update #2:

Took my phone back in for an exchange at the store. Replacement phone had the same problem. Store employee had a bionic which successfully blinked as expected. Upon removing an exchange email account from his phone the led stopped on his phone failed to work just like mine. Its starting to look like all the phones have this problem ...

haupman

Reaction score
Update #2:

Took my phone back in for an exchange at the store. Replacement phone had the same problem. Store employee had a bionic which successfully blinked as expected. Upon removing an exchange email account from his phone the led stopped on his phone failed to work just like mine. Its starting to look like all the phones have this problem ...

I started a different thread with a poll because while a lot of us seem to have this problem, it seems like we are in the minority still.

shamus

Reaction score
Update #2:

My LED works fine. Are you saying the tech at VZ removed an exchange account and that made his LED malfunction? That sounds weird.

dbindock

Reaction score
I have the same problem. If I have a notification waiting, it will only blink one time when I hit the power button to turn the screen off. No more blinks after that. Turn the screen on, then back off, and it blinks once and no more.

I doubt I need to replace the phone, it just seems like a software issue.

I keep finding things about LightFlow (someone said it was free, another said it was paid) but I don't see why we should have to install an app to get it to function properly.

Also, I don't have a case, so no my LED isn't blocked.

haupman

Reaction score
Has anyone with this problem tried a factory reset yet? It seems just a small amount of us have this problem. I was thinking it could be related to an app or some type of setting.

jadesaber2

Reaction score
I've got the same problem - LED only blinks once, right when the screen turns off. Free version of LightFlow didn't change anything. I'll try a factory reset tomorrow.

TeeX

Reaction score
I've got the same problem - LED only blinks once, right when the screen turns off. Free version of LightFlow didn't change anything. I'll try a factory reset tomorrow.

ya, I don't understand it AT. ALL. The mysterious flashing green light. I turn the screen off and the little aggravating green light flashes once, then done. My Light Flow takes care of notification flashing perfectly, but I have NO. IDEA. why the green light flashes like that. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. Usually a reboot fixes it, but it's still weird/frustrating/not normal.

kurnyb189

Reaction score
Led?!?

The ONLY time I have ever seen this illusive flashing light is when my battery is somewhere around 15% or below...which happens A LOT. (grrr)

As a former blackberry user I have come to depend on those little lights.

I've noticed that the led apps are hit or miss, it seems like the work for some people and not for others.
Anybody have any luck with anything else?