Notification bar showing WiFi and 4G at the same time

Reaction score
I have my DROID RAZR MAXX for a few days now and I have noticed that when I am connected to my WiFi it shows the WiFi and 4G notifications in the notification bar at the same time. But on my wife's MAXX it only shows the WiFi in the bar. Anyone else seeing this too?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

patmc81

Reaction score
That's how mine is wifi is blue and 4g is white.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

lowfatdog

Reaction score
I questioned that the other day when someone said you could not have 3g and wifi on at the same time. I noticed mine had 4g and wifi on at the same time. Is that normal? Is it good or bad? Mine has both on normally when I am at home on wifi.

OP
chrisyouwanttknow
Reaction score
I do not know if it's normal. But my wife's MAXX only shows WiFi when connected to WiFi like my old Droid X.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
As far as I can tell (and this is based on only a few hours of setup and experimentation), the two are controlled independently. You can turn off the 4G with the "data manager" setting in Settings, i.e. Enable data access over Mobile network. Enabling it turns it on even if the device is connected via wifi. I'm guessing that the 4G notification shows up only if you're in a 4G coverage area.

DocsDad

Reaction score
Wifi takes precedence, but they are both active (unless you turn off data). This way it takes advantage of a wifi network instead of data, but allows you to still have mms capabilities which are not available through wifi only.

I had the same issue... mine had wifi with 3G/4G and my wife's had wifi only. I rebooted hers and she gained both. Just a blip in connecting probably.

OP
chrisyouwanttknow
Reaction score
Nice. Ok. I am going to reboot my wife's RAZR and see if it changes.

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
Yep it's normal, right now I'm on WiFi at home. The 4g icon is white showing it's not active, while the WiFi icon is blue showing it is active.
63394eae-e7df-3c1c.jpg

Sent my new Droid Razr Maxx

OP
chrisyouwanttknow
Reaction score
Rebooted my wife's RAZR MAXX and now it shows both when connected to WiFi.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using DroidForums