Note 3 reception issues

acousticshade

Reaction score
It's not as bad as the internet makes it seem, acoustic. If you'll be traveling in fringe areas a lot then it's something to consider, but if you're mostly in the metro part of any urban area you have nothing to worry about. Though again, if you do frequent low signal areas, then it might be an issue.

Just don't want people thinking their signal can cut out at any time with this phone because of a bad antenna. My apartment is a dead zone, I only get service in about half of it. I used to have a Rezound and I can't say I notice a HUGE difference, though it does seem to maybe cut in and out a bit more than my Rezound if I move around. But again, it's not bad enough to where I'm thinking about changing phones...the signal here just sucks in general.

Thanks k1. My house will probably be ok, but I do travel and work quite a bit through many fringe areas that are very rural (Michigan's upper penninsula), so it is a concern of mine. $200 price difference is nothing to scoff at either.

On the other hand, if I can get similar quality video as a go-pro camera, $200 more is definately worth it. I would guess that even an older go-pro probably has better quality video due to better optics and perhaps stabilization. Has anyone seen a comparison of the two?

NOVICE

Reaction score
My data downloads on the Note 3 definitely inferior to my Note 2. And I'm disappointed with the blue tooth and the settings on the stock browser.

Going to stay with the Note 3 because of the improvements with the S Pen. (And because I paid 700$ ) Hoping to love this phone but it's been a rocky start to the relationship.

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
Thanks k1. My house will probably be ok, but I do travel and work quite a bit through many fringe areas that are very rural (Michigan's upper penninsula), so it is a concern of mine. $200 price difference is nothing to scoff at either.

On the other hand, if I can get similar quality video as a go-pro camera, $200 more is definately worth it. I would guess that even an older go-pro probably has better quality video due to better optics and perhaps stabilization. Has anyone seen a comparison of the two?

I'm not sure about the go-pro, but I can say this camera is UNDOUBTEDLY one of the best you can find right now. Even screenshots comparing it to the Sony X1. I've been showing off pictures to everybody with every kind of phone, including the S4 and 5S, and none come close to the Note. Not even considering the quality, the size makes it so much more comfortable to hold without worrying about bumping into any buttons or shifting your hands. I don't know why every phone doesn't have a dedicated camera button since it's one of the most used features of smartphones today, but....meh...

Been meaning to post some pics I took, but busy work week, been lazy and just want to play around on my new phone :happy3:

OP
J

jsandy

Reaction score
I took the update too. I have not been back to the troublesome spot. Will check this weekend. The sound quality of my calls is greatly improved. It was so bad before that sometimes the only way I could understand what was being said was to put it on speaker

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Enrique2SIM

Reaction score
The software update seems to have improved my signal.

Hi,

Could you please detail what's is the update that you did? Does the Note 3 is upgradable to Kit Kat already? or your are talking about another update...

Thanks in advance.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
Hi,

Could you please detail what's is the update that you did? Does the Note 3 is upgradable to Kit Kat already? or your are talking about another update...

Thanks in advance.

There was a small update on 4.3 for some bug fixes ..kitkat is not ready yet for N3

N3 tapa

Markee

Reaction score
Droid Maxx or Samsung N3
I have a two and half year old Motorola Razr.... Battey starting to not hold a charge... (Designed in Obsolesce) Every now and then the phone gets really HOT for no apparent reason... I reboot the phone when this happens. Not quite sure what that is... Motorola phones have always had the best radios...

Considering the Samsung Note 3, looks like it has all the best features I want... Large High Resolution Display, 13 Mega P Camera, Replaceable 3200 Battery, Micro SD card to 64 Gb.. Best Quad processor... Everything I want in a phone...

BUT...

I am worried about the RF radio strength. I think this is the one weakness for the Samsung Phones. I spend time in the summers in an area that has a somewhat week signal.. Motorola Razr works fine. I am worried that I will not be able to use the voice and data on this phone... Has anyone ever done a wireless signal strength comparison with the net strength application? I am hearing comments both ways but have seen reports that show signal strength issues...

https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/808665

Welcome comments. Should I take the risk with the Samsung N3 or to with the Motorola Maxx????​

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
Well my apartment has HORRIBLE reception quality and I haven't dropped a single call since. Sometimes where it's really bad (kitchen, bathroom, where my S3 WOULD disconnect), a text might take a few seconds longer to send, but it always eventually does.

You can always get it for a week or two and return it if it isn't up to par?

weatherlover1

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2

Did you end up getting the N3? I actually live in the U.P and plan to upgrade to this phone tomorrow. I was very excited about it until I came across the reception issues. It does seem it got better after the update back in Nov.. I have the Razr Maxx which does very well. I don't live in a bad coverage area but there can be low areas around here. I guess I will just have to get it and use it for the first two weeks and see how it goes.

acousticshade

Reaction score
No I got the LG G2 and love it. I work in a sandstone building so wanted to make sure there were no reception issues & the G2 works great. My sister has an S4 and hates it because of the poor reception issues. I'm sure the N3 works great in metro areas and it's an excellent phone, but Samsung reception is weaker than HTC, moto & LG phones.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I seem to be getting weird reception issues while at work and other places while indoors. At my house it seems to work perfectly fine, but at work it will go from speeds of 20-30 Mbps to 200 Kbps in a matter of seconds and not go back to much higher speeds for most of the day. I will eventually get my high speeds back but only for a slight amount of time. I contacted Verizon and they sent out a network engineer, who was working on the issue, he did see where I am sitting the speeds would fluctuate but he would keep a constant 20 Mbps and only go down to about 10 Mbps before it went back up a minute or so later. He could not explain why my phone, sitting next to his computer that was connected to an air card would be getting vastly different speeds. While sitting next to his air-card I would get 500 Kbps - 1.5 Mbps. At first they thought it was possibly a bad sim-card, so they replaced that, but to no avail the problem still persists. I had my phone swapped out due to a problem with the acceleromotor and they were hoping that would fix the weird issues i've been having, but it did not. I have a guy who sits right next to me, who has a Moto X, he stays at 25-35 Mbps down, while I could not get above 2.5. There is definitely something not right with the phone and the antennas for sure. He did state that the new 2100 MHz spectrum (aws) does not penetrate buildings as well, but after about an hour of testing he could usually stay around 20 Mbps with slight variances to lower speeds but they would go back up after a minute or so. He even checked to see how many people were connected to the tower I was and he stated that the (aws) frequency only had about 30-45 people on it since most devices don't use it yet.

So to recap, I am now on my second Note 3 and it still has varying speeds while sitting stationary at my desk. I could understand going from 20-30 Mbps to say 5-15 Mbps, but not from 20-30 to 300 Kbps. Everyone I've talked to from verizon about this problem has stated that it is very strange. I have seen other articles that point out that samsung reps have stated that the antennas in the Note 3 either are weak, or not working as intended. (But that is merely hearsay as they didn't provide a transcript of the chats)

ainzwurth

Reaction score
Cell reception has been great. It seems as though my radios are fighting each other for a data signal. This is the second phone I've had. Works great for a month or 2 and then gets crappy only at work. 4G blinks on and off. 3G blinks on and off, then goes to 1x. Cycle airplane mode and some times 3G comes back.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Cell reception has been great. It seems as though my radios are fighting each other for a data signal. This is the second phone I've had. Works great for a month or 2 and then gets crappy only at work. 4G blinks on and off. 3G blinks on and off, then goes to 1x. Cycle airplane mode and some times 3G comes back.

My previous phone would go into 3G and not come back to 4G until i restarted the phone or put it into airplane mode and brought it back out. The cell quality of phone calls is usually decent but both phones have had a problem with getting calls while at work. Most of the time I get them but sometimes I don't.