Normal Battery?

T

TheAlpha

I have had my DROID razr since early December and my battery lasts barely one day. I use a little browsing in the morning and a little texting throughout the day. From 7:00 A.M. to 2:30 P.M, I set smart actions to turn off mobile data when the display is turned off which is often since I am in school. Then I take the bus home for one hour and a half and listen to music the whole time with some browsing and little texting. Also I don't have background date on nor 4G. After all this my battery is a little above 20% Is that normal for the standard DROID RAZR? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I have had my DROID razr since early December and my battery lasts barely one day. I use a little browsing in the morning and a little texting throughout the day. From 7:00 A.M. to 2:30 P.M, I set smart actions to turn off mobile data when the display is turned off which is often since I am in school. Then I take the bus home for one hour and a half and listen to music the whole time with some browsing and little texting. Also I don't have background date on nor 4G. After all this my battery is a little above 20% Is that normal for the standard DROID RAZR? Thanks in advance.

That's a tough question to answer since we don't know what other apps you may have running in the background such as social networking, news, weather, emails, GPS or other location based apps, etc. There are plenty of us who get more than a full day out of our RAZRs, and then there are those who have issues of falling short. I don't believe it's purely chance - I believe if I swapped phones from the longer lasting to the shorter and vice versa, those who had the longer lasting phones would wind up STILL having the longer lasting, etc.

One thing that could possibly help. I don't know if you've EVER charged the phone to 100% while the power was OFF, but it's worth a try. Plug the power in at night before bed, then press and hold the power button and choose power off from the menu. The phone will go Black, then a few seconds later it'll look like it's rebooting. Allow it to do its thing. Eventually a large battery will appear, and it will have a "liquid" animation level showing, with a percentage listed. This is CHARGE-ONLY mode. This is a good thing to do every so often, perhaps once a month or more. It will charge unattended and eventually will reach 100%. If you wish to check its progress, a very short click of the power button and then wait...about 3 seconds later the battery icon will appear again. Let it time out rather than turning it off as you might accidentally trigger a full boot.

Next morning, simply power up and use as normal. Continue using it to the point where it notifies you of a Low power at 15%, and then do the above one more time. This resets the top and bottom thresholds for the meter and basically syncs the meter to the battery's actual capacity. Now you will find you get what seems like more life out of a charge. For the record, it's actually better to charge it with the power off as above, but most people use the phone as an alarm clock or the like, so doing this exercise once a month or so will keep things copacetic.

Good luck! ;)

SallyC

Reaction score

I'm assuming you take it off the charger around 5 as you have an hour and a half bus ride and must also get ready for school. Add 1 1/2 hrs to the 2:30 time and we're now at 4:00 pm before you're back home. So 11 hours with around 3 hrs/day on a bus + at least some time at school of it being in use? Honestly, that doesn't sound too bad to me. Or maybe you don't use it on the way to school.

But if you're interested in improving it, I'd look into an app like Juice Defender. It comes in a free and two paid versions, which you can compare here. I own the $5 Ultimate and think it's the best app I ever bought - well worth the money. I like Smart Actions but I find JD much easier to toggle and play with and also much more powerful. Just something to consider.

I would definitely do what FoxKat says (no matter what the topic.:biggrin:) and you might also want to get an app - like Battery Circle - that shows battery increments in 1%. Since the stock battery meter rounds the charge display, it's only a rough indicator.

OP
T

TheAlpha

Yes I have Facebook and yes as i said I listen to music on the bus ride home. And yes in the morning I shut off my phone and charge it from there which shows the battery with liquid filling showing the charge. I used to have juice defender and it didn't seem to do anything for me.