Nook Color, Honeycomb Tablet for $200?

deputc26

Reaction score
The nook color is being sold at a subsidized price (like the kindle) due to B&N expecting to make up the difference on e-book sales. But it is an android device, it has been rooted, and GPU acceleration of the honeycomb gui on it has just been demonstrated. It's 45nm OMAP3621 runs at 800mhz stock but we know it can probably overclock to 1.2ghz. Given this it seems like there is a possibility for a screaming deal here... Though I'm not sure if it's legal I believe it is as rooting is legal and you don't have to sign a contract to buy a nook.

Anyone want to be the guinea pig?:icon_ banana:

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I don't think the NC is subsidized. B&N doesn't seem to care one wit about it being rooted.

I rooted mine right after getting it back in early December. Koush released a working copy of Clockwork for it and now it's safe to run/hack/rom it in any manner that you wish. There is no Honeycomb rom for it yet, but there is a customized stock rom and there is a couple of Froyo roms. I have mine overclocked to 1.1 and it is totally stable (so far!!).

We're all waiting patiently for a Honeycomb Rom. Should be soon.

OP
deputc26

deputc26

Reaction score
It isn't official but the NC's BOM has to be close to $200 with its modern 45nm processor, IPS display etc. etc. They may not be selling it at a loss (I think they're about breaking even) but the price is certainly lower than such hardware would normally be due to expected after-sale revenue. In that sense it is definitely subsidized, if it isn't, give me an example of a big-name product with comparable hardware that is anywhere near the price.

No Honeycomb ROMs yet, but they're definitely coming Android Honeycomb port for Nook Color gets graphics acceleration, first demo video -- Engadget

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
The nook color is being sold at a subsidized price (like the kindle) due to B&N expecting to make up the difference on e-book sales. But it is an android device, it has been rooted, and GPU acceleration of the honeycomb gui on it has just been demonstrated. It's 45nm OMAP3621 runs at 800mhz stock but we know it can probably overclock to 1.2ghz. Given this it seems like there is a possibility for a screaming deal here... Though I'm not sure if it's legal I believe it is as rooting is legal and you don't have to sign a contract to buy a nook.

Anyone want to be the guinea pig?:icon_ banana:

Here are a few links that may help
Portal:NookColor - nookDevs

NookColor Rooting - nookDevs

(How To) Installing/Using ClockworkMod, Rom manager, nandroid backup, custom kernels

Check out the sister Androidtablets.net forum. There is an entire NC color section which discusses rooting a NC as well as other topics.
Mike