NOOBS -- Use the Search function!

Status
Not open for further replies.

voydas

Reaction score
I'd say 50-60% of the new threads are questions that have already been asked and answered. Use the search function on the forum people! It's there for a reason. If you want to learn how to do something the answer is almost always available to you if you do some reading. You shouldn't expect to have your hand help through every little thing, although many people here are nice enough to do so but it's getting a little ridiculous. I'm not a moderator here but it's getting to the point that I'm not longer interested in coming to this forum because every new thread is a rehash of a thread thats been posted days, weeks, months ago. Sometimes even hours!

Just saying to the noobs:
Read the stickies
Use the search function
Read and research what you want to do

How to root? -- asked and answered.
How to go back from 2.0.1. from 2.1? -- asked and answered.
How to change your bootanimation? -- asked and answered.
How to setup WiFi tethering? -- asked and answered!
Changing to a new ROM? -- asked and answered.
Best way to backup your apps? -- asked and answered
Overclocking? -- asked and answered.

Do some research! The information is available to those who look for it.

JCo352

Reaction score
There has also been threads to tell people to use the search function.

V

verian

Its does seem like every time I check the forum its the same topics, but I ain't no hater its cool. Search is the answer.

OP
V

voydas

Reaction score

Uhh.. Thanks.

It obviously needs to be restated. Nothing on the first 3-4 pages of this forum, anyways. (I know -- I looked)

JCo352

Reaction score

Uhh.. Thanks.

It obviously needs to be restated. Nothing on the first 3-4 pages of this forum, anyways. (I know -- I looked)

So instead of using a thread that has already been dedicated to informing people about the search function of these forums, you create a new thread on something that has already been discussed. http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-general-discussions/35965-searching-how-i-do.html
Isn't this a little hypocritical?

OP
V

voydas

Reaction score

Uhh.. Thanks.

So instead of using a thread that has already been dedicated to informing people about the search function of these forums, you create a new thread on something that has already been discussed. http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-general-discussions/35965-searching-how-i-do.html

Can't you go troll somewhere else?

I'm not asking a question that's been asked and answered, im trying to draw attention that something needs to be done about all these repeat questions. Call me hypocritical if you want, I felt creating a new thread rather than bumping an old thread would be more effective. But I got trolled. Thanks, by the way.
:icon_ banana:

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
It doesn't matter how many times you ask people to search, they won't do it. Part of the reason is people don't want to, and the other part is the very true fact that the search feature doesn't work as well as it should.

If everybody tagged their new thread like they should that would help. I did a thread on how to use Google to effectively search the Droid Forum and it's buried somewhere in the archives now.

I feel the OP's pain, and I know it's frustrating. It's even more frustrating when someone say's "I haven't got time to search through 200 page." That means they know where the answer is and they are just too lazy to search.

And I don't know about you guys but I can't tell you the amount of times I find a question for something that's on the same page as the poster posted on. Those will get a redirect or a merge. And if I can find the thread myself I will put in a redirect and close the thread.

It's definitely a challenge, but every forum deals with it.

JCo352

Reaction score
Uhh.. Thanks.

Can't you go troll somewhere else?

I'm not asking a question that's been asked and answered, im trying to draw attention that something needs to be done about all these repeat questions. Call me hypocritical if you want, I felt creating a new thread rather than bumping an old thread would be more effective. But I got trolled. Thanks, by the way.
:icon_ banana:

No one is trolling here, I'm just trying to understand your logic. You're welcome, by the way.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Everyone who ever uses DF was a "NOOB" at one time or another. At one time in October 2009, everyone was a NOOB at the same time. Now we have people who are DF Veterans, and my opinion is if a so called noob has a question, instead of belittling them we should not just tell them to search, be helpful and show them a link. Sure, for the veterans on this board it's easy to just take that attitude of "use the search button", when in reality they were guilty of the same thing. I have 2 friends at work with Droids and they come to me with questions a lot...I don't tell them to go to DF and use the Search feature, I actually sit there and help them out. I think a gentler approach to our new user friends is better than starting a thread in the Hacks section to use the search feature. Mom told me 50 years ago if I don't have something nice to say to not say it. Same applies here.

JCo352

Reaction score
Everyone who ever uses DF was a "NOOB" at one time or another. At one time in October 2009, everyone was a NOOB at the same time. Now we have people who are DF Veterans, and my opinion is if a so called noob has a question, instead of belittling them we should not just tell them to search, be helpful and show them a link. Sure, for the veterans on this board it's easy to just take that attitude of "use the search button", when in reality they were guilty of the same thing. I have 2 friends at work with Droids and they come to me with questions a lot...I don't tell them to go to DF and use the Search feature, I actually sit there and help them out. I think a gentler approach to our new user friends is better than starting a thread in the Hacks section to use the search feature. Mom told me 50 years ago if I don't have something nice to say to not say it. Same applies here.

+1 I feel the same way, everyone deserves a chance to be helped, that is what this forum is for.

OP
V

voydas

Reaction score
I, like all of us, was a noob to this at one point but I researched what I was trying to do, I just see so many people wanting their hand held through the whole process when the answers are available to everyone. Not trying to be rude or hostile, just seeing this forum getting cluttered with repeats of the same questions over and over when the answer is quite easy to find.

OP
V

voydas

Reaction score
I see this thread was moved so the whole point of it is lost. If you could delete it it'd be appreciated. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.