Noob questions: Don't have a Droid yet be nice!

CKyle22

Reaction score
Hey. I'm getting a Droid soon and I just wanna ask:

What's the difference between a Widget and an app?

I ask this because when I get it, I wanna replicate the Eris' screen with the weather and clock. I've seen in the screenshots thread here somewhere that people could do that.

But some said that was a widget, and some said it was an app. So which is it? And can I have a link to it?

Trip

Reaction score
A widget is a home screen icon with functionality...like a switch to turn on or off your Wi-Fi, or a calendar widget that updates as you change things on your calendar, things like that, an app is a program, and you can have shortcuts to your apps on your homescreen, but they only launch that program, a widget does something by its self.

Hope that answers your question.

Oh, and the clock/weather widget (or one of them anyway) can be found in the beautiful widgets package in the market.

Here:
chart

Last edited:

LifeIsABeach

Reaction score
You can't replicate the Eris' screen, but Weather Widget - Donate and Beautiful Widgets will give you a clock with weather and come close to it. Both are cheap, but not free.

OP
C

CKyle22

Reaction score
I assume you download Widgets from the Android Marketplace as well as apps, right?

Trip

Reaction score
Yeah CKyle22, everything is in the marketplace. One of the first things you should get is Barcode Scanner in the market place, it will let you scan those QTR barcodes with your phone and that will take you right to the app with your phone, you can also then search on your home computer here....

http://www.androlib.com/

and when you find something you like, scan the barcode to get it. Its easer than searching with the droid.

Last edited: