Noob Question

Wick

Reaction score
Ok, new to the forums and a new smart phone user. I just got the Droid X and so far I love it. But, I have a couple questions and I hope they have not been answered else were. I did search, but by google-fu sucks.

1. I found an app that will store password and login IDs. Great huh! Like most people these days I have a ton of ID's and PWs. Now it is password protrected 128 bit encryption, but being the paranoid I am how easy are these things to crack? Anyone have any issues with them?

2. I have seen themes in the martket place that require a home replacement, aHome, Openhome... Are these considered "Rooting" your phone. I have zero desire to do anthying that will brick my phone or void the warranty. Would not want to face the wrath of The Wife if I had to tell her I broke my new phone.

Thanks Wick

Smokie

Reaction score
Wick, i never bothered with any pw storing apps.. but if they are that encrypted i doubt someone will actually hack or crack your stuff.

as far as the themes u see on the market, they are not for rooted phones really. if you do a quick search for: open home, crazy home, ahome, etc. these are programs that you can buy that will change up your icons/ theme on an unrooted phone. you would then use the "home replacement app" to apply the theme. if you are unrooted, check out Open Home and try a few themes. prior to routing, i liked that home replacement app the best. good luck

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
dont know much about password encryption but

home replacements do not require root - they are just what they are - they replace your home. you can download one (I suggest Launcher Pro or ADW launcher) and try them out. if you dont like them, just uninstall and itll go back to stock

and a reminder, you have to redesign your 5 (or 7) screens you have: readd all widgets and app shortcuts.

one thing i do like about ADW (which is the one I use on my Droid X) is the customization. press the menu key and click ADW settings (or preferences for Launcher Pro) and you can set it to how u like: number, of screens, scroll speeds, overshoot limit, etc.

also, ADW is themeable, launcher pro is not.

motodroid34

Reaction score
Ok, new to the forums and a new smart phone user. I just got the Droid X and so far I love it. But, I have a couple questions and I hope they have not been answered else were. I did search, but by google-fu sucks.

1. I found an app that will store password and login IDs. Great huh! Like most people these days I have a ton of ID's and PWs. Now it is password protrected 128 bit encryption, but being the paranoid I am how easy are these things to crack? Anyone have any issues with them?

2. I have seen themes in the martket place that require a home replacement, aHome, Openhome... Are these considered "Rooting" your phone. I have zero desire to do anthying that will brick my phone or void the warranty. Would not want to face the wrath of The Wife if I had to tell her I broke my new phone.

Thanks Wick

Whats the name of that app to store passwords?
I use B-FOLDERS and I can tell you to me is the best and secure enough.

And about the home replacement... NO.. you don't need to be rooted. Is just a different HOME APPS. with different features and different wall papers.

OP
W

Wick

Reaction score
It's called Password Keeper.

I guess I am more concerned with the app taking my PW's and ID's. Not that I think Password Keeper is, no offense to the Dev. It's just when I started to enter the data I started think "Iam I being stupid trusting this thing"

And thanks for the info!

*edit for me gooder english

Last edited:

Smokie

Reaction score
dont know much about password encryption but

one thing i do like about ADW (which is the one I use on my Droid X) is the customization. press the menu key and click ADW settings (or preferences for Launcher Pro) and you can set it to how u like: number, of screens, scroll speeds, overshoot limit, etc.

also, ADW is themeable, launcher pro is not.

you can't use ADW or launcherpro with themes that are in the market can you? I thought they were just additional options and changed the dock around.

lol oh wait.. i didn't read your last statement about ADW being themeable. MY BAD ;[