Noob Question: Whats the term for the special tones, callers hear?

knighthonor

Reaction score
When people call my phone, it tells them to please wait and enjoy this music while you wait.

on mine, I have the default classical music.

But I dont know the term/name of the feature.

Also How do I change the music to something that I enjoy, such as some of my own MP3?

When I call others, I sometimes notice they dont have classical music when I wait for them to answer. So it seems like there is a way to change it.

how is that done?

dancedroid

debdroid1a

Reaction score
Never heard of this so I googled it. It's called Answering Tones. I guess only some providers have it. I'm not sure if mine, Verizon, does. Probably would charge me a lot if it did.

I would suggest keeping the song generic. Unless you don't have a lot of people calling you. My dad probably wouldn't want to listen to 'Big Girls Don't Cry' and I wouldn't want to listen to his 1950s country music (well some of it) on his phone (I'd have to help him do that too..

Just wondering, can the caller bypass that and just go to voice mail?

b-jammin21

Reaction score
I believe they are called ringback tones. My brother has it set up on his phone (Verizon), but I'm not sure how he set it up.

Play a jam!

SlyHusky

Reaction score
This is for Verizon (the only provider that I have had)...

They are called ringback tones and you can change them by purchasing the tones on verizonwireless.com and sign into your account. You hover on the multimedia tab on the top and click ringback tones. There will be a list of songs that you can purchase.

Also as a side note there is a monthly fee for the service. Make sure you are not getting charged for the ringback tones add-on. I know a friend who got this on her phone and said she doesn't pay for it. IDK if thats true but it should come up as a monthly charge on your statement if you have it activated.

OP
knighthonor

knighthonor

Reaction score
This is for Verizon (the only provider that I have had)...

They are called ringback tones and you can change them by purchasing the tones on verizonwireless.com and sign into your account. You hover on the multimedia tab on the top and click ringback tones. There will be a list of songs that you can purchase.

Also as a side note there is a monthly fee for the service. Make sure you are not getting charged for the ringback tones add-on. I know a friend who got this on her phone and said she doesn't pay for it. IDK if thats true but it should come up as a monthly charge on your statement if you have it activated.
Wow that is so lame!!! they dont even have a good list of R&B soul songs anyway. screw that!!! :icon_evil:

thanks everybody for the help. Paying a sub for something like this, which doesnt even let you pick the song you want, is a total BS feature!

BodyBagz

Reaction score
Wow that is so lame!!! they dont even have a good list of R&B soul songs anyway. screw that!!! :icon_evil:
thanks everybody for the help. Paying a sub for something like this, which doesnt even let you pick the song you want, is a total BS feature!

Did you check all the tone categories? Verizons lists arent exact...what you may consider R&B, Verizon may consider Pop, Rap etc.

Also, you can choose to not have a ringback tone at all...just the standard "ringing phone" sound heard for countless years on phones.

OP
knighthonor

knighthonor

Reaction score

Did you check all the tone categories? Verizons lists arent exact...what you may consider R&B, Verizon may consider Pop, Rap etc.

Also, you can choose to not have a ringback tone at all...just the standard "ringing phone" sound heard for countless years on phones.

yes I check out the songs in the list. bunch of modern day crappy R&B. I rather a feature to chose our own songs to have, in the future somewhere when that tech allows it.

Problem I have with it, is that THEY choose the songs we can pick from, while at the same time we have to pay a sub just to choose.

gadgetry

Reaction score
Problem I have with it, is that THEY choose the songs we can pick from, while at the same time we have to pay a sub just to choose.

Isn't there any other way to enable ringback tones? Do you really have to be on the verizon network and pay for it?
I tried to look into ringback tones and I found this page though I think it's not really what I was looking for: Maybe this page may be helpful for more information on ringback tones: http://ect-ringback.com/
But maybe someone might find the information useful.

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
There's no other way. Other carriers offer it to though I believe. Not just Verizon. It has to go through the carrier though, so no matter who it is you're still going to be paying.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

dlwhtrose

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
Welcome to the forum.

I manage my ringback tones through the verizonwireless web site as described above.

If you do not want to pay for a ringback you can set it to the traditional ring and not have music what so ever. It does not cost for that. But you would do it through the web as described.