No wifi...no fix???

papp_e

Reaction score
I know there have been a million threads about this 'wifi not working on GB' problem and Im pretty sur eI have seen and read through them all, so bear with me.

Where I live while going to school during the year I have a netgear router which never gave me problems using wifi on froyo or GB.

Well what do you you know, ive been home for summer for a few months and there is a dell router which has always been reliable and never given me any trouble. Well I come home with liberty GB loaded and quickly realize somethings up because my phone would hang at the 'assigning IP' step of connection, so I start googling and find the generic fixes, broadcast SSID, change WEP to WPA, turn off authentication all together, router firmware upgrade, DHCP settings on liberty GB, tried it all, i mean EVERYTHING.

After making the change to turn on 'automatically assign IP once DHCP times out' (or called something similar) in liberty GB, my phone would actually CONNECT to the router after about 20-30 seconds, but NO internet connection to my phone.

Then I saw MIUI and read about how I had to SBF which meant (in my mind) froyo here we come. Long story short I thought froyo would fix my connection issues and I would be happy with the rom and wifi again, but IT STILL WONT CONNECT. Shortly after my frustration began, I saw MIUI works off of GB 2.3.4 bbut has the froyo kernal, which sank my heart.

So back to square one. I have done everything I have seen about router changes, even completely reset the router AND reflashed the same, most upto date firmware. Im on the latest MIUI and am dying to use wifi at my house again. Yes I know I could buy a new router but that isnt fixing the problem (its just satisfying my problem with the problem), and I could just rough it out another 2 months until I go back to school again, but yeah, you get the point.

Is anybody in the same GRAVE as me?

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score
I had a router at home a couple of years ago that my D1 would just not connect to - similar issues as you note above. After futzing with it for a while I replaced it, just not worth that much of my time and frustration to put up with it. If you don't want to do the same, you may have to tough it out.

OP
P

papp_e

Reaction score
well the thing is, my phone USED to connect just fine on froyo, and judging by the amount of people having problems with wifi after updating to GB, I assume its the GB holding me back from connecting once again. Never had a problem with any other router even on GB with my D2, just this dell router; hopefully my fix is in software somewhere.

OP
P

papp_e

Reaction score
And I really dont care to replace it, the few-year-old dell router could use a nice N replacement, but like I said, just not the desired fix

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score
I've been connecting on GB (both GB-kernel based ROMs like Zombie and Froyo-kernel based like CM7/MIUI) w/out issue...I guess I haven't been tracking it, but wasn't aware of a general GB-wifi issue...

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score
well the thing is, my phone USED to connect just fine on froyo, and judging by the amount of people having problems with wifi after updating to GB, I assume its the GB holding me back from connecting once again. Never had a problem with any other router even on GB with my D2, just this dell router; hopefully my fix is in software somewhere.

My experience w/my "bad" router was nothing worked (and I tried pretty much everything that I and others could think of) so I had to replace it in the end. Good luck...

OP
P

papp_e

Reaction score
I've been connecting on GB (both GB-kernel based ROMs like Zombie and Froyo-kernel based like CM7/MIUI) w/out issue...I guess I haven't been tracking it, but wasn't aware of a general GB-wifi issue...

its an issue if you have WEP enabled (older style authentication). Most fix their non-connecting issues by changing authentication to WPA. And it appears to be router specific as well, my newer netgear with WPA gave no connection problems, yet the older Dell (originally WEP, changed to WPA) still didnt work. If you google the problem about GB and not connecting to wifi, youll dig up some DF threads all about it, as well as other places like xda.

gahhh

OP
P

papp_e

Reaction score
well yeah, exactly my thoughts.

Hey family, im gonna change the wifi password, ill come fix everything so it works again dont worry!

--> (phone wifi is gonna work , phone wifi is gonna work ,phone wifi is gonna work!!!)

yeah WPA still didnt work

TheSwaggeR

Reaction score
I've got the NetGear WNR1000 and never had an issue with it. You may want to check and see if any updates have or have not taken place with your router. I would update it.

I would also check the firewall and see if anything has changed on that for outside connection. Your phone should not be the problem.

If all else fails, then you should do a hard reset on your router (small button on the back usually. turn off router, turn it back on, hold reset button for 30 seconds). You'll have to set it back up and the security along with it. Don't set it up as WEP to start with. It's worthless. Make sure you don't set up a password for the encryption key because that is a ***** to change. All you need is WPA and that's it. You'll be assigned a new WPA key. Write it down. Once all is finished on the router end, retry it out on your phone.

OP
P

papp_e

Reaction score
Yeah I've done that three times already, that little button on the back of the router knows its owner by now...I have even added exceptions to all firewalls by specifically adding my phones Mac address to the 'allow all access' section. It's crazy

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score
Found this fix via googling "F**cking Router won't work"

1. Unplug router from network
2. Unplug router from power connection
3. Place router in small paper bag
4. Get in car, drive to nearest body of water
5. Fling router as far out into water as possible
6. Drive home, sit in your favorite comfy chair, and have a beer

That looks like a pretty comprehensive fix, if you ask me.

:D

OP
P

papp_e

Reaction score
hahaha, but you can fix water damage most of the time...if i was going to destroy my router out of frustration, i'd take the whole office space "dam it feels good to be a gangsta" approach and take a baseball bat to the fax machine (router)