No Universal Inbox on homescreen = FAIL

mgladden2

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Nearly every feature on my Droid X (OS 2.2.1) is incredible, but this whole business of no Universal Inbox directly on the homescreen is a massive FAIL.

I tried homescreen > long-hold > shortcuts > activities > universal inbox, but on my phone, I don't get an "activities" menu, it's called "applications," and more to the point, there is no "universal inbox" listed there.

Is this really an impossibility on OS 2.2.1? I did run a system upgrade to Version.2.3.340.MB810.Verizon.en.US, so maybe that's why I can't do the above-listed work around. I'll return the phone for a new one if that's the case, but if it's really an impossibility, screw that, I'll get another phone. It will slow me down big time at work.

What's worse, the "Messaging" application that has the "Universal Inbox" in it, won't let you move the "Universal Inbox" icon lower, so you are forced to do a huge thumb stretch to the top left of the phone for that second click to open it.

Why in god's name isn't there an option in "Messaging" to just open directly to the Universal Inbox??? This feels like a no-brainer.

J

Johnly

let me guess, you are using blur? That is Failbow. Get LPP, or something and free your self.

pyro6128

Reaction score
Sounds like someone else just realized blur is trash. Follow the above advice

OP
M

mgladden2

Reaction score
I'm just curious. I ask because I've never used a feature like you describe and I own a A855 Droid 1.

Was this feature EVER available on your Droid X; as in before the latest upgrade you described? Or is it a feature you're used to from a different smartphone platform?

If it is the latter, then I am sure that there is a way for you to make Android do what you want it to, just in a different way. If it is the former, then _maybe_ there is another setting now that needs to be investigated to make it do what it used to do. But again, if it is/was the latter and you are _too_ used to that way of doing things, then by all means turn your phone in for something you're more used to.

good luck

Of course this feature was available. It's called the "Universal Inbox" and it's sitting right inside the Messenger app. The only problem is the damn icon is locked inside Messenger in the absolute top left of the screen and there's no way to put it on the homescreen where any normal person would want it. The only other way would be using a separate corporate, gmail, txt msg, facebook, twitter app icons on the homescreen and clicking into each one multiple times every few minutes as new messages land in their respective places = huge waste of time.

OP
M

mgladden2

Reaction score
let me guess, you are using blur? That is Failbow. Get LPP, or something and free your self.

Thanks, Johnly and Pyro. I have a feeling you guys have provided the real solution. I take it the built-in motorola launcher software is considered worthless by power users? Is LPP the best one to go with? I guess I'm just nervous some third party software will make things run slow or introduce bugs and hangups. Is LPP pretty solid?

J

Johnly

It is phenomenal. Like Pyro says, blur is trash. I would drop the 3 bucks and get the LPP widgets. It runs better than sense (considered the best UI by many) I think you will NOT be disappointed.

pyro6128

Reaction score

Thanks, Johnly and Pyro. I have a feeling you guys have provided the real solution. I take it the built-in motorola launcher software is considered worthless by power users? Is LPP the best one to go with? I guess I'm just nervous some third party software will make things run slow or introduce bugs and hangups. Is LPP pretty solid?

Yea blur is just bloated crap designed to please young teenage girls haha. But yea launcherpro plus is a much nicer launcher, but I don't know if it necessarily solves your universal inbox problem, but it does provide a much nicer interface with nicer widgets and way more customization/functionality.

Now this may not be exactly what you're looking for, but this comes pretty close
http://www.androidzoom.com/android_applications/productivity/executive-assistant-adware_bjwm.html

You can have everything on the widget and be able to check all your different sources in one place. You can also place the widget on your lock screen.

Last edited:
J

Johnly

You are welcome. I would never recommend something unsurely. You bet you can have that universal inbox were you want it.

J

Johnly

K9? Or the other unified apps also widgitize the inevitble.

pyro6128

Reaction score
I just went through launcherpros shortcut settings and didnt realize there were so many options. You can even create a custom shortcut that theyll make on their website, then let you download. This app def just got cooler haha, and I've been a longtime user