No sound output on Droid 1 w/ 2.2

ShovelFLH

Reaction score
I just purchased a new Droid 1 off of Craigslist and it has some issues.

Symptoms. The phone does not put out sound from the loud speaker. No "Droid" on start up, no ringtone, no other sound from the loud speaker. But, the ear piece works so I can use the device for phone calls and I can switch to "sperakerphone" during a a call and that DOES work properly. The phone vibrates on start up, when a call comes in, etc.-- regardless of whether the phone is set to "never" vibrate or any other setting. Finally, the bluetooth works and no sound is put through the head phone jack.

Actions I have taken. I have gone though the settings and have tried various sound settings, manipulated the external volume key, removed the battery, restored factory defaults, called Verizon tech assistance for help AND took it to the local Verizon store where it was reflashed with 2.2 (2.1 was not an option). No matter what action I took or Verizon took, ther still is no sound output from the loudspeaker.

Has anyone else encountered this? Any suggested fix besides getting a new phone? Thanks for your help.

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
I just purchased a new Droid 1 off of Craigslist and it has some issues.

Symptoms. The phone does not put out sound from the loud speaker. No "Droid" on start up, no ringtone, no other sound from the loud speaker. But, the ear piece works so I can use the device for phone calls and I can switch to "sperakerphone" during a a call and that DOES work properly. The phone vibrates on start up, when a call comes in, etc.-- regardless of whether the phone is set to "never" vibrate or any other setting. Finally, the bluetooth works and no sound is put through the head phone jack.

Actions I have taken. I have gone though the settings and have tried various sound settings, manipulated the external volume key, removed the battery, restored factory defaults, called Verizon tech assistance for help AND took it to the local Verizon store where it was reflashed with 2.2 (2.1 was not an option). No matter what action I took or Verizon took, ther still is no sound output from the loudspeaker.

Has anyone else encountered this? Any suggested fix besides getting a new phone? Thanks for your help.
Lol, My suggestion is play with the criagslist phone before you buy... I think this is a hardware problem, so i cant really suggest much. What did VZ say for solutions? Did they say its covered bu warentee?

cromo8

Reaction score
i would call them again and ask to do a warranty exchange, should work no problems takes like 2 bussiness days and u get a diff one, refurbished but still in working condition

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
It hasn't done the Droid on start up for some time now, but I'd say that you simply bought a bad phone off of Craigs list.

Don't feel bad, we see people do it all the time. At least you didn't get one with a bad ESN.

OP
S

ShovelFLH

Reaction score
The people at the Verizon store were very helpful and even though I am not the original purchaser, they are giving me a warranty exchange on the phone. I figured I'd take the time to get familiar with the phone while learning whether this problem is a odd ball software issue or hardware issue.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
The people at the Verizon store were very helpful and even though I am not the original purchaser, they are giving me a warranty exchange on the phone. I figured I'd take the time to get familiar with the phone while learning whether this problem is a odd ball software issue or hardware issue.

Amazing! I think Verizon Customer Service is excellent and the only time you hear about it is when someone complains. I didn't think they would give you a warranty exchange.

OP
S

ShovelFLH

Reaction score
I've never had any issues with Verizon customer service either on the phone or in person. They certainly take abuse from some unreasonable people. While I was in the store yesterday, an older gentleman was so upset that he couldn't get a new phone until the replacement date that he was barking at the rep and left speaking loudly about switching to ATT and getting the iPhone. His replacement eligibility date? 28 Aug 2010....

This is last time I buy an item like a smartphone off of Craigslist but its not the first time. Last week, I bought one with a bad ESN. I'm done.

OP
S

ShovelFLH

Reaction score
I received the replacement phone from Verizon and it didn't work! The phone did not recognize any available phone networks. We did the master reset which caused the phone to go into data loop and it never recovered from that. So Verizon sent me a brand new Droid2! All in all this was a self inflicted PITA but worked out okay.

Slingnutt

Reaction score
I've found on the forums that there's something going on right now (since the 2.2 update) about people losing their ringer. My ringer doesn't work and it only vibrates. My notifications and EVERYTHING else work, but there seems to be a bug in the update. I found this thread looking for a solution, but apparently, VZW is on it already. Maybe wait until the bugs are worked out before you call it a loss.

As for buying phones off of Craigslist, I've bought my last three Blackberrys and My Moto DROID from Craigslist. All I can say is meet them at the Verizon store, let them check it out before you hand them the cash...Odds are if they won't meet you, you don't need the phone. I got burnt the first time, and it was on a "lost or stolen" list....lucky for me the guy was an idiot, and left ALL of his information in it, including his Facebook and Gamil accounts :icon_evil: and he got back in touch with me rather quickly after I got into his accounts and called EVERYONE in his contacts letting them know I was looking for him.

I guess I'll hurry up and wait on the new update and see if this fixes it, as of now, I'm keeping it close and listening for a buzz..

Slingnutt

Reaction score
Just an FYI...I did a factory reset and all is well....Pissed me off I had to do it, but it worked.

wmelervey

Reaction score
same problem

I am having the same exact problem. No sound from any media except speaker phone does work. I have searched all over the internet and found nobody else with this problem. All I keep seeing is the current problem SlingNutt was having. And my phone was bought at a verizon store. I installed 2.2 at least a month ago and all was fine then last week this problem started. I'm guessing my next step is a factory reset