No rooted movies

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I believe that they are just talking about rooted Xoom tablets.

OP
czerdrill

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
well only the xoom tablets have the movie functionality now i think, anyway...once it comes to 2.2, i'm sure the same restrictions would be placed on the phones...don't see any reason why it wouldnt...

of course there will be a workaround found, and android users will continue to pirate! lol

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Haha....Seems like it would be a lot of work to pirate a movie via a smartphone, and 480p at that! I'm sure it's easier to just go find a torrent....

I mean, I can buy a HD blu-ray R/W drive for $200 (probably less) and software for about $50 and pirate super-def movies to my heart's content.

matt2783

Reaction score
Haha....Seems like it would be a lot of work to pirate a movie via a smartphone, and 480p at that! I'm sure it's easier to just go find a torrent....

I mean, I can buy a HD blu-ray R/W drive for $200 (probably less) and software for about $50 and pirate super-def movies to my heart's content.

Agreed. Blocking access to rooted users will do nothing to stop piracy. If you rooted you're tablet I'm sure you know how to download torrents.

I'm betting the movie industry pressured Google into doing that. They still seem to think they have some control over piracy.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm betting the movie industry pressured Google into doing that. They still seem to think they have some control over piracy.

Yeah, and what horrible theft from some poor user who just wants to watch a movie offline on the airplane...

OP
czerdrill

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score

Well it's not the sensibility of the thing that matters lol....people will find a workaround for this just to show that they can...

No one needs to tether illegally either, and there's plenty of boasting about being able to do that too.

comk4ver

Reaction score
I don't think it'll matter the devs will figure out a way to misrepresent the device. Plus it won't affect devices that won't upgrade to ice cream as in older models. Besides, how sad that (for once) we try to do things the right way (not downloading torrents and paying our subscription fees, buying expensive low battery toys) and google wants to play "rough". Meh, here's me crossing fingers.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums