No Picture in Messaging App

naman919

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is just standard, but since day 1 of having the droid I haven't had a picture when i message people. I have a picture set in my google profile and my picture shows up when i look at gchat, but there is no picture in text message threads with my contacts.

Is this just standard or? Why would they leave a blank icon in message threads?

OP
naman919

naman919

Reaction score
Bump.

Everyone has a picture when they message people?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

OP
naman919

naman919

Reaction score
Check the
"Me" contact and see if there is a picture added

tappin and a talkin

there isn't a "me" contact. *shrug*

OG Droid owners got an idea?

I have a google profile picture and on my phone it shows up when i use Talk to gchat, but my messaging app has a blank android icon where my picture should be.

OP
naman919

naman919

Reaction score
Bump.

If this is a dumb question please just direct me to another thread. I'm very curious why there is no picture for me.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Are you using Handcent or the default messaging app?

DroidForums junkie!!

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Not sure why its not loading your Google picture. You could probably add yourself as a contact (touch where your pic should be) and set a contact picture. Or, you can get Handcent and set an actual account picture for it.

stock messaging app.

DroidForums junkie!!

OP
naman919

naman919

Reaction score
Not sure why its not loading your Google picture. You could probably add yourself as a contact (touch where your pic should be) and set a contact picture. Or, you can get Handcent and set an actual account picture for it.

i'd like to figure out why it's not loading my google picture and avoid a work around. I'm not too fond of handcent. jmho.

any more ideas?

OP
naman919

naman919

Reaction score
This worked for me perfectly:
"
1) Login to Gmail on your desktop computer
2) Click Contacts.
3) Delete all 'Me' type contacts you've so far created (search your email address as well and delete that contact) and choose to create a new contact
4) Add your Gmail address and phone number associated with your phone (include country code, 1 for USA in my case) to this contact, use your full name.
5) Save
6) Return to your phone and go to Settings - Accounts and Sync
7) Choose the Gmail address you sync contacts with, or the one you used to create your contact.
8) Even if Sync contacts is checked, un-check it and then re-check it to force sync.
9) Go to your messages, if your replies still have the grey box then press back and go back into the message.

This way at least your picture is automatically updated to whatever picture is associated with your gmail profile rather than having to manually change it on your phone."

ugafan2081

Reaction score
I'm having this problem but I want to link my Facebook picture help

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums App

OP
naman919

naman919

Reaction score
i dunno how to do that b/c i avoid facebook like the plague.

i would guess though, that if you follow those steps above and delete any "me" or "yournamehere" contacts from gmail and then follow them from facebooks contacts that it might work.

Add yourself in facebook as a contact and make sure your phone number is there, with 1 for country code before. I would think messaging would then take your facebook picture b/c it's associated with your phone number.

SO long story short, delete yourself from contacts in gmail. Add yourself in facebook and resync your contacts. I would assume this process would do the trick. Let me know.