"No Bell" Icon?

SkipGuild

Reaction score
I have found my Bionic randomly going into a total silent mode when I intended only going into sound off keeping vibrate active. When this occurs I find a new icon symbol not listed in the manual that came with the phone (a bell with red circle-slash in lower right) shown in as the second icon this image.

View attachment 44165

Other times when I use the same action (sliding the vibrate/sound slider to "vibrate") I see the vibrate icon, and when I receive a call the phone vibrates with no sound as intended.

This action (going to no sound / no vibrate) is not described anywhere I could find, nor is this icon described anywhere.

How do I prevent this condition from occuring?

Is there a new cheat sheet of icons (symbols) anywhere with explanation?

Thanks.

mamawm

Reaction score
The icon is indeed the sound off icon, it is listed in the help center app that came on the phone. As for sometimes vibrating and sometimes not, do you have vibrate set to always?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

OP
S

SkipGuild

Reaction score
I have Vibrating "always on" but found another setting that may have been killing the functionality.

Under "Sound" I found the setting "Silent mode" enabled which says "Silence all sounds except media and alarms". How this got set and what relationship it has to the choice of Vibrate mode ("Always", "Never", "Only in Silent mode", and "Only when not in Silent mode") I have no idea. It was set to "Always" and yet the phone wasn't vibrating when the "No Bell" icon was showing.

I think it is bad relationships since the affect of the relationships between these settings and the "Silent Mode" on/off setting on the main screen (with power button) is never explained.

I checked the help center app and could not find which one lists and explains the icons. Which one is it?

Thanks.

Last edited:

mamawm

Reaction score
ok, open help center and select guide, then home screen, then smartphone status & notifications and there you are. i wondered why in settings there is a silent mode option and an option to lower the volumn to nothing, now i know. sorry you had a problem but glad to be able to learn from your experience.