No App transfer from internal memory to SD card

Badger1313

Reaction score
My wife switched from a D2 to the Droid Razr M this week. I installed a new 16GB SD card and activated the phone for her. I like the feel and use of the phone but have discovered several issues. First, I found there is no provision in this version of ICS to move any of the downloaded apps from internal memory to the SD card. It will only allow media (photos, music, videos, etc) to be moved. This can be a real problem for users who want to install a lot of apps on the small internal memory. I contacted Motorola online support and after exhausting their knowledge base, was referred to phone support. The first level passed me on to a second level who followed the same script until I got them to look at a Razr M on their end and finally log into my wife's phone. After some offline discussion, the second level admitted that the software has omitted the "move to SD Card" option in the manage apps directory. She hinted that there may be an app that could do this manually (without root?) but she didn't know for sure. Couple this with the news that Motorola has patched all known exploits used to root the Razr M and that Apps like FoxFi don't work, it makes one reconsider this phone. We still have a few days to return it and opt for a friendlier version. Any suggestions or work-arounds would be appreciated.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
So there's no "my files" on the razr m??? Wow... I need to get my hands on one of these things... that's odd.

OP
B

Badger1313

Reaction score

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Hmmm. Very disappointing.

OP
B

Badger1313

Reaction score
Spent a day on the Motorola Razr M forum asking the same questions.

https://forums.motorola.com/posts/178a8673b8?page=1

The condensed answer is that this phone and apparently all future Motorola smart will be in total lockdown. Apparently most root exploits are through the App file transfer software. To increase security Motorola has closed these exploits which may also be the reason the "Move to SD Card" toggle is missing. It may also explain why the .apk files are so difficult to find with any file manager app.

I would caution any power users who expect to root their next Droid, be afraid, very afraid....:mad:

josh.lop6

Reaction score
Badger1313 said:
Spent a day on the Motorola Razr M forum asking the same questions.

https://forums.motorola.com/posts/178a8673b8?page=1

The condensed answer is that this phone and apparently all future Motorola smart will be in total lockdown. Apparently most root exploits are through the App file transfer software. To increase security Motorola has closed these exploits which may also be the reason the "Move to SD Card" toggle is missing. It may also explain why the .apk files are so difficult to find with any file manager app.

I would caution any power users who expect to root their next Droid, be afraid, very afraid....:mad:

Install root explorer. It requires root to view some things but I was still able to get to the system apks

Swine70

Reaction score
Never mind, that just let it reinstall to sdcard0.

Last edited: