No 3G or 1x Reception Indoors

Patrollin

Reaction score
I'm having a bizarre problem. My droid has been great since I got it in February but for the past 4-5 days, I've had terrible (zero) reception in places I've always had great reception - specifically, my apartment, my office, and my girlfriends apartment. My bars sporadically switch from no signal, to one bar of 1x, to back to no signal. If I'm lucky, I will have about a 5 second period of full 3G reception like I used to, but then it will switch back to no bars.

Now if I'm on the first floor of a building, or if I'm anywhere outside, there is no problem whatsoever and I get perfect reception. But I've noticed that if I'm anywhere above or below ground in a building, boom, there go my bars. I live in the DC metro area, btw and am running 2.1-update1....this has never happened before, prior to about a week ago.

I took my phone to verizon and also called technical support. Thus far I've tried the following things:

1) Battery pull
2) *228, option 1 (reactivating phone)
3) *228, option 2 (updating cell phone tower?)
4) Factory reset

None of this helps. And since verizon cant replicate my problem in store, i've pretty much been told that theres nothing they can do.

So...my questions are: anyone else having this problem? is it the phone or the cell phone towers? and are there any other known solutions?

Any help would be appreciated. I basically have a great piece of hardware that only works outdoors now! Thanks.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm having a bizarre problem. My droid has been great since I got it in February but for the past 4-5 days, I've had terrible (zero) reception in places I've always had great reception - specifically, my apartment, my office, and my girlfriends apartment. My bars sporadically switch from no signal, to one bar of 1x, to back to no signal. If I'm lucky, I will have about a 5 second period of full 3G reception like I used to, but then it will switch back to no bars.

Now if I'm on the first floor of a building, or if I'm anywhere outside, there is no problem whatsoever and I get perfect reception. But I've noticed that if I'm anywhere above or below ground in a building, boom, there go my bars. I live in the DC metro area, btw and am running 2.1-update1....this has never happened before, prior to about a week ago.

I took my phone to verizon and also called technical support. Thus far I've tried the following things:

1) Battery pull
2) *228, option 1 (reactivating phone)
3) *228, option 2 (updating cell phone tower?)
4) Factory reset

None of this helps. And since verizon cant replicate my problem in store, i've pretty much been told that theres nothing they can do.

So...my questions are: anyone else having this problem? is it the phone or the cell phone towers? and are there any other known solutions?

Any help would be appreciated. I basically have a great piece of hardware that only works outdoors now! Thanks.

It's odd to have that type of reception issue in more then one place, but I would call customer service, not go to a Verizon Store and explain the issue to them. They will either write up a service ticket or send you another Droid. Good luck, hope you get it resolved.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Is it possible that Verizon is in the processing of changing a cell tower near you?

biggs

Reaction score
I am having the same problem here in NE Oklahoma if i drive anywhere else i am good but just here in my town it sucks. It is tower issues its been like urs for 2 months then all of a sudden for 3 days 3 to 4 bars 3g all the time awesome i was in heaven then once again today back to 1x 1 bar then full 3g then no service an back to 1x 1 bar grrrrrrrrrr i have talked to the tower guy locally an he has confirmed tower issue but it all depends what SID an PRL you are running. You can call into tech support an ask them to push the hybrid PRL out to u an see if that helps you!!

OP
Patrollin

Patrollin

Reaction score
Thanks guys.

It is certainly possible that the cell phone towers are at issue. However, 3 of my coworkers have droids and none of them seem to have this problem (although one did report that after the most recent google maps update, his phone started freaking out and the touch screen stopped working...this was later fixed by verizon when he took it to the store).

Hookbill, I did call customer support and their solutions were battery pull, *228, and factory reset. I told them it didnt work and they said theres nothing they can do. Looks like if nothing else improves I will definitely try to call and request the hybrid PRL?