Nice phone, a few small issues so far

wmscottmc

Reaction score
I'm liking this phone but have a few issues that may or may not have a solution. Hopefully 2.2 fixes some of this

1) Small hard to read fonts on some apps, like the calendar

2) Battery life not great. Will prob just by a 2nd battery

3) No way to sync outlook memo's (there is no google memo app, but when Android 2.2 comes out Ive read that they may add it). I hope so, I have a ton of data sitting on my pc with no way to get in on the phone.

4) No way that I have found to backup app data on the phone (without rooting it)

Overall I am very impressed. But I use my phone as a PDA and there are some areas that could be improved on. For example, a more robust calendar app, having a flashing colored light when a notification or missed call exists would be nice, or at least a repeatable alarm every 5 min.

Immolate

Reaction score
There are so many possibilities for resolving the types of issues you bring up, but I'll address the last since it's my issue as well. "Missed Call" (free from market) allows you to assign custom notifications and LED colors to SMS texts as well as many other media, and it offers repeating messages at intervals you specify.

You may want to look for a calendar replacement that has bigger fonts. Lots of apps in the market are there to address usability issues with the native interface. My calendar fonts seem pretty big, but I may be looking at a different calendar.

The battery had been great on my Droid X, so I assume you're either dealing with a bad battery, or suffering from calibration or application issues. I turned my device on to battery saver and haven't noticed any issues with speed. The .604 OTA (update) fixed some battery meter issues with the OS. Have you fully drained your battery? If not, please do so as this will allow the battery's internal gauge to recalibrate and provide accurate information back to the phone. Also, from personal experience, some battery applications can get badly off-kilter. If your little battery meter on the notification bar and the battery widget you're using don't agree, you may need to reinstall it or replace it.

I'm not sure what you mean by Outlook Memos. There are emails and contacts and calendar and notes and tasks but I'm not familiar with memos.

Rooting the phone seems like a small price to pay to enable full back-up capabilities. It takes little time or technical knowledge at this point.

trebb

Reaction score
Your apps should auto-download should you ever need to factory reset. You could also use titanium or mybackuppro.

chanatown

Reaction score
I agree - I am loving this phone more and more each day.

I just wrote about some issues here, namely 1) battery, 2) exchange client, and 3) keyboard.

Other than those hiccups, I'm definitely onboard with the Android train, coming from the world of the iPhone. If anyone else is considering a change, I'd be happy to help with your decision to go Droid!

Mad1ben2

Reaction score
Been an iPhone junkie for 3 yrs. Got ip4 on rls date but wife jumped ship back to verizon so she could actually make a phone call (AT&T service is very, very weak in our neighborhood). I use my phone for so much more and have really, really loved my iPhone experience, but... In all honesty I'm not blown away over the ip4 improvements and now that my wife is actually making/receiving phone calls in our hood I'm getting jealous. Top that off with just spending a week vacation with 2 family members that have the Droid and I'm starting to rethink what makes the iPhone so special that I have to give up using it as a phone!?

So I'm here to research phones that would be on Verizon and would be comparable in function to an iPhone. Here are the things I love and use my iPhone for:
- web surfing (wifi @ home, network everywhere else)
- music: tons of songs on iTunes and daily use of Pandora and occasionally iHeart Radio
- email (yahoo & gmail)
- tons of game apps, productivity apps, etc (mostly free ones)
- watching movies I've copied using handbrake specifically for iPhone. I have approximately 50 movies stored.
- camera, txt msging, etc.
- oh yea, the occasional phone call :)

I'm thinking maybe it's time to try the droid x

Thx,
Scott

chanatown

Reaction score
Been an iPhone junkie for 3 yrs. Got ip4 on rls date but wife jumped ship back to verizon so she could actually make a phone call (AT&T service is very, very weak in our neighborhood). I use my phone for so much more and have really, really loved my iPhone experience, but... In all honesty I'm not blown away over the ip4 improvements and now that my wife is actually making/receiving phone calls in our hood I'm getting jealous. Top that off with just spending a week vacation with 2 family members that have the Droid and I'm starting to rethink what makes the iPhone so special that I have to give up using it as a phone!?

So I'm here to research phones that would be on Verizon and would be comparable in function to an iPhone. Here are the things I love and use my iPhone for:
- web surfing (wifi @ home, network everywhere else)
- music: tons of songs on iTunes and daily use of Pandora and occasionally iHeart Radio
- email (yahoo & gmail)
- tons of game apps, productivity apps, etc (mostly free ones)
- watching movies I've copied using handbrake specifically for iPhone. I have approximately 50 movies stored.
- camera, txt msging, etc.
- oh yea, the occasional phone call :)

I'm thinking maybe it's time to try the droid x

Thx,
Scott

Scott,

To address your concerns, I'd say:

- web surfing (wifi @ home, network everywhere else) - no problem
- music: tons of songs on iTunes and daily use of Pandora and occasionally iHeart Radio - DoubleTwist can sync with iTunes, though it's not as intuitive and elegant of a design. Still, it gets the job done. No problem on Pandora.
- email (yahoo & gmail) - gmail is beautifully integrated - on top of that, all Google apps are nicely supported as you would expect from a Google OS.
- tons of game apps, productivity apps, etc (mostly free ones) - the Android market has all the apps I used on a regular basis when I had the iPhone.
- watching movies I've copied using handbrake specifically for iPhone. I have approximately 50 movies stored. - No experience with this, but the bigger screen will be awesome if this can happen.
- camera, txt msging, etc. - great camera - I love the dedicated shutter button.
- oh yea, the occasional phone call :) - most definitely - Verizon should have a much wider reach than AT&T in terms of service.

Cheers,
David