Nexus to Verizon in the Spring: Implications

iSecks

Reaction score
Actually, it IS Motorola who updates the device. Look at the Cliq on T-Mobile. It's running Android 1.5 still, only because Motorola does not want to update the Blur UI to a newer version of Android. And for them, it's a good reason too. They've already sold the phones, and updating the operating system would cost money that they're not getting paid. There's no incentive to push updates for the phone for them.

Now, I'm sure Moto will update the Droid [at least to 2.1] because there's no real hard work to put into upgrading it. With the Cliq they would have had to rewrite Blur to work on 1.6 or 2.0. Since the Droid isn't running any modded OS like Blur or Sense, it should be a piece of cake to get a custom update for it.

Interesting... but, I have a few questions. I don't know anything about the Blur, but are you sure the reason to update the Blur has to do with money? What is the cost to update the phone through the network, I don't understand how this would cost Motorola money. Also, can this device actually handle the new OS? I'm thinking that could be the reason why its not being upgraded.

In other words, I think the OS updates are limited to the phones themselves. Example : 2.1 will be updated to every phone that can handle it. It wouldn't make sense to update a phone with the 2.1 OS if the phone can't run all of the new features in the new OS. This would be like installing Windows 7 on an Intel Pentium machine. It would be a very detrimental thing to do, even if you COULD accomplish it. On the other hand, Google will not hold back an update or improvement to their OS due to backwards compatibility. They will improve their software, and if the older generations of hardware can't handle it, it will be limited to the newer hardware that can.

It is in the best interest of every part of the equation for the Droid to have every OS update *unless it can't handle it*. If 2.1 has features the Droid can't do and the Nexus can do, then I believe it wouldn't be installed onto the Droid.

What do you think? like I said, I'm completely speculating here.. but I see zero benefit to any of the parties (Motorola, Verizon, Google) to not update the Droid. Motorola ensures customers are happy with their products, Verizon ensures their cash cows (us) are happy with their network and their updates, and Google gets a large, happy marketshare.

Please, more opnions are welcome.

-Wil

The thing is, Motorola is the company who makes the phone OS. On the Motorola Cliq, it runs a modified version of Android that has the Motoblur UI [Like how HTC phones have HTC Sense UI.] The problem with custom UIs like that is the time it takes to update them to the newest Android version. This costs Motorola a lot [wages for the devs working on it, time, etc] for a product that they already sold and have the money for.

Now, I only am saying this because you're saying that the carrier and the hardware makers have very little to do with the Android updates that phone gets. While the carrier does not have much influence in how the OS will be built, the creators of the hardware are the ones who will be pushing the updates.

Also, it's already know that any device that was planned to have 2.0 will get 2.1, so that means that the Droid will be getting 2.1. It's up to Motorola to decide whether or not to update any further than that.

wil318466

Reaction score
Actually, it IS Motorola who updates the device. Look at the Cliq on T-Mobile. It's running Android 1.5 still, only because Motorola does not want to update the Blur UI to a newer version of Android. And for them, it's a good reason too. They've already sold the phones, and updating the operating system would cost money that they're not getting paid. There's no incentive to push updates for the phone for them.

Now, I'm sure Moto will update the Droid [at least to 2.1] because there's no real hard work to put into upgrading it. With the Cliq they would have had to rewrite Blur to work on 1.6 or 2.0. Since the Droid isn't running any modded OS like Blur or Sense, it should be a piece of cake to get a custom update for it.

Interesting... but, I have a few questions. I don't know anything about the Blur, but are you sure the reason to update the Blur has to do with money? What is the cost to update the phone through the network, I don't understand how this would cost Motorola money. Also, can this device actually handle the new OS? I'm thinking that could be the reason why its not being upgraded.

In other words, I think the OS updates are limited to the phones themselves. Example : 2.1 will be updated to every phone that can handle it. It wouldn't make sense to update a phone with the 2.1 OS if the phone can't run all of the new features in the new OS. This would be like installing Windows 7 on an Intel Pentium machine. It would be a very detrimental thing to do, even if you COULD accomplish it. On the other hand, Google will not hold back an update or improvement to their OS due to backwards compatibility. They will improve their software, and if the older generations of hardware can't handle it, it will be limited to the newer hardware that can.

It is in the best interest of every part of the equation for the Droid to have every OS update *unless it can't handle it*. If 2.1 has features the Droid can't do and the Nexus can do, then I believe it wouldn't be installed onto the Droid.

What do you think? like I said, I'm completely speculating here.. but I see zero benefit to any of the parties (Motorola, Verizon, Google) to not update the Droid. Motorola ensures customers are happy with their products, Verizon ensures their cash cows (us) are happy with their network and their updates, and Google gets a large, happy marketshare.

-Wil

The thing is, Motorola is the company who makes the phone OS. On the Motorola Cliq, it runs a modified version of Android that has the Motoblur UI [Like how HTC phones have HTC Sense UI.] The problem with custom UIs like that is the time it takes to update them to the newest Android version. This costs Motorola a lot [wages for the devs working on it, time, etc] for a product that they already sold and have the money for.

Now, I only am saying this because you're saying that the carrier and the hardware makers have very little to do with the Android updates that phone gets. While the carrier does not have much influence in how the OS will be built, the creators of the hardware are the ones who will be pushing the updates.

Also, it's already know that any device that was planned to have 2.0 will get 2.1, so that means that the Droid will be getting 2.1. It's up to Motorola to decide whether or not to update any further than that.

Ok. So, I'm assuming you are correct in what you are saying. It makes sense that if there was a modified custom OS, they would have to put resources into an OS update, because Google wouldn't go to the trouble to do the Motorola Blur's custom OS. Agreed. Also, it wouldn't make sense for Motorola to support an older product (I'm assuming the Blur is "old" in cell phone terms, which equals about 3 months). I agree with this assessment, then.

Then, lets take a look at the Droid. Like I said earlier, it seems as if the Droid had a lot of input from Google on how to design the phone. The Droid seems to be "on par" with the Nexus in hardware terms. So, the real question boils down to this :

Does Motorola have to put many resources into the Droid to release the new OS? Is it a custom OS, or just simple changes to be released? Does anyone know for sure?

I'm leaning towards the latter, as 2.1 has already been leaked and installed on a Droid and we can see the videos on Youtube. It appears that the 2.1 software was simply installed on the Droid and worked.

We'll get 2.1. That is a given. Will we get the same updates in the future that the Nexus gets, since they are similiar?

If Nexus 2 comes out, say, 15 months from now, I can understand it getting Android 3.0 (all of this is just an example), and the Nexus and Droid NOT getting it. But i think this will be due to hardware limitations of the Droid and Nexus, not due to them not wanting to.

So, custom OS would not be in the best interest to release. But if it can run the standard OS... then there is no reason to not update it, no?

-Wil

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score

-Wil

Ok. So, I'm assuming you are correct in what you are saying. It makes sense that if there was a modified custom OS, they would have to put resources into an OS update, because Google wouldn't go to the trouble to do the Motorola Blur's custom OS. Agreed. Also, it wouldn't make sense for Motorola to support an older product (I'm assuming the Blur is "old" in cell phone terms, which equals about 3 months). I agree with this assessment, then.

Then, lets take a look at the Droid. Like I said earlier, it seems as if the Droid had a lot of input from Google on how to design the phone. The Droid seems to be "on par" with the Nexus in hardware terms. So, the real question boils down to this :

Does Motorola have to put many resources into the Droid to release the new OS? Is it a custom OS, or just simple changes to be released? Does anyone know for sure?

I'm leaning towards the latter, as 2.1 has already been leaked and installed on a Droid and we can see the videos on Youtube. It appears that the 2.1 software was simply installed on the Droid and worked.

We'll get 2.1. That is a given. Will we get the same updates in the future that the Nexus gets, since they are similiar?

If Nexus 2 comes out, say, 15 months from now, I can understand it getting Android 3.0 (all of this is just an example), and the Nexus and Droid NOT getting it. But i think this will be due to hardware limitations of the Droid and Nexus, not due to them not wanting to.

So, custom OS would not be in the best interest to release. But if it can run the standard OS... then there is no reason to not update it, no?

-Wil

Some people believe that the leaked version doesn't fully support the Hardware on the Droid. I've read that if an Optimized version of 2.1 it would enable the use of the Droid's Dedicated GPU instead of relying on the processor to do all of the rendering which would allow for a performance boost and some speed increase. Not sure of the validity though as I'm definitely no expert when it comes to processors and GPU but it makes sense to me. Why only use the processor when you have a separate GPU to handle rendering and stuff.

wil318466

Reaction score
Some people believe that the leaked version doesn't fully support the Hardware on the Droid. I've read that if an Optimized version of 2.1 it would enable the use of the Droid's Dedicated GPU instead of relying on the processor to do all of the rendering which would allow for a performance boost and some speed increase. Not sure of the validity though as I'm definitely no expert when it comes to processors and GPU but it makes sense to me. Why only use the processor when you have a separate GPU to handle rendering and stuff.

Nice. Maybe the Droid will actually run the OS faster than the Nexus? Lol now that would be hilarious. But, that won't be the case so..

Lets see what happens when we can compare a Droid with 2.1 with a Nexus 2.1. I think the Droid will more than hold its own. Really.

-Wil

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
I started a thread days ago about the fact that the Droid has two processors - one for the main CPU and then the GPU. The fact is that there is a big advantage is having a dedicated GPU on any machine. Look at computers - the better video card you have the faster everything runs.

Sure the Nexus has a Snapdragon but it does not have a dedicated GPU.

I would highly suspect that once we get 2.1 on the Droid it will run just as fast and have all of the features that the Nexus One has.

In fact we should look at this as a good thing since if the Droid and Nexus One are basically on par with one another we will get updates around the same time they do and since the Droid and the Nexus will be the MAJOR android phones in the near future we are guaranteed of bunches of great updates.

As one of you pointed out - Motorola and Verizon did not pump all of this money into the Droid without knowing what the future held. I would bet that they were told HTC would be coming out with this phone and made sure that it would hold it's own. Also remember that Google had a HUGE part in the design of the Droid. As far as Google is concerned the Droid was their coming out product and now the Nexus is just a continuation of that.

By the time we get concerned we aren't getting updated we will all have new phones anyway.

Also - what more can you really PUT on a cellphone? Sure the technology can get better. Faster processors, better screens... but just like computers you hit a point where you say - why bother upgrading to a new computer. I hit that point years ago - I'm still running XP and see no need for Windows 7. Most of the people I know are running even older hardware (since they call me when they have problems).

Quite honestly at this point I would still buy the Droid over the new Nexus One. I like having a keyboard and I like the design. I like the fact that Motorola built a beautiful black brick of a phone. I don't want another cheapo device like my Blackberry Curve...

As me in 3 or 6 months when there are 20 more phones on the market and I'll probably have a different answer. However one must ask - what more do you need the phone to do. Right now I can't think of much of anything.

cuskit

Reaction score
For those who discount the upcoming Apple tablet, be careful! Yea - the N1 dominated the news waves today, but on Jan 26 Steve will have his say. And millions will be listening. I own a Moto Droid. But if iPhone ran on VZW, I'd probably have one of those. They are, despite all the putdowns here, a great phone/device, etc. It's only the service that is biting them in the butt! I haven't seen Steve Jobs make too many mistakes in the last decade. If any of you own Apple stock - you are feeling pretty good right now - well, for sure those who have owned it for the last decade! iMac, iPod, iPhone! Three HUGE winners. Will iTablet be next? I don't doubt this guy is going to blow the world away the end of this month. No - it won't steal sales from our Droids. Supplement them? Yea - probably!

I am an avid Mac user. But I'm also a supporter of good service - which is why I'm not an iPhone owner. So - that being said, I'm not looking to start a flame war here. Just saying - don't speak lightly of the upcoming tablet! ;)

cuskit

wil318466

Reaction score
For those who discount the upcoming Apple tablet, be careful! Yea - the N1 dominated the news waves today, but on Jan 26 Steve will have his say. And millions will be listening. I own a Moto Droid. But if iPhone ran on VZW, I'd probably have one of those. They are, despite all the putdowns here, a great phone/device, etc. It's only the service that is biting them in the butt! I haven't seen Steve Jobs make too many mistakes in the last decade. If any of you own Apple stock - you are feeling pretty good right now - well, for sure those who have owned it for the last decade! iMac, iPod, iPhone! Three HUGE winners. Will iTablet be next? I don't doubt this guy is going to blow the world away the end of this month. No - it won't steal sales from our Droids. Supplement them? Yea - probably!

I am an avid Mac user. But I'm also a supporter of good service - which is why I'm not an iPhone owner. So - that being said, I'm not looking to start a flame war here. Just saying - don't speak lightly of the upcoming tablet! ;)

cuskit

I respectfully disagree. All things being equal, I would rather have the Droid than the iphone, hands down no question. If the iPhone was half the price, I'd rather have the Droid. In fact, if it was FREE, know what I know now, I'd take the Droid.

I've never really liked Apple products. I'd much rather have a PC than a Mac. I would, though, rather have an iPod than a Zune. I've always felt mac's are restrictive. Sure, PCs are more open to viruses and stuff, but thats because they can do more things.

Its a tradeoff. I hate being forced to use things. I use whats best for me, not whats best for a company. Apple is restrictive. Android isn't. No contest.

-Wil

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score

cuskit

The iSlate is going to be interesting to see but if its anywhere near the supposed 1000 $ price tag iAintTouching that with a 20 ft iPole. Honestly I am definitely a mac fan when it comes to their computers but after owning the Droid I have pretty much been cured of my iPhone craving. I'm a heavyh google user and the iPhone won't seamlessly sync with a lot of google services as android devices do. Yeah the market is great, but hey there's an iPod Touch for that. If the iPhone does in fact come to Verizon I'll be super happy, but not because I want an iPhone but because we now have a geat selection of phone choices for Verizon. Its a great thing to see a great network taking their heads out of their arses and starting evolving instead of locking everything into crappy Verizon software.

The_Omega_Man

Reaction score
This is Google's Android based Phone....Not Verizon's Android based Phone! Verizon's android phones are the Droid phones! This is what they market and directly broker through their stores. They are branded as well. and have SKUs in the Verizon POS system. Verizon does not need to compete with Google to sell the Droids versus the Nexus One.

As far as I can see, all Verizon can do is support the activation of the phone on their network and provide any plan+phone subsidies (if any)!

nyyfan

Reaction score
if the responsibility lies with motorola to update droid i think they have all the reason in the world because based on reviews, blogs, etc. the droid can compete with the N1, if moto can push an update out fast and show that it not only has comparable and sometimes better hardware as well as the same software abilities it will keep sales of the droid competitive against N1 and create two top dogs for people to choose from. as far as the 2 processor thing, i hope that a graphics card will have a good effect and that it's not too hard or time consuming to optimize 2.1. i wouldnt be surprised, as a number of people have suggested, if moto had already began working on this...

Tekmazter

Reaction score
Everyone please make your way over to Engadget and look at the live blog from yesterday's Q&A at the Nexus One press release.

Co-CEO from Moto was there and was directly asked about 2.1 coming to the DROID. We're getting 2.1.

There were also other numerous questions about the reasoning behind the way Google is selling the N1. Please go and check it out. Reading the 6 pages of comments on here, some of you are worried about nothing, while one or two have serious misconceptions about the strategy of the N1 and support for DROID going forward.

Live from Google's Android press conference -- Engadget

JFDroid

Reaction score
First, I agree with cereal killer. I do not like htc hardware. It feels cheap. I have an eris and a motorola droid... I don't like the eris' build quality, which, honestly, is very similar to the nexus one.

However, most people fail to realize Google is trying to foster an idea of openness and choice, not a specific phone such as the nexus one. Google isn't trying to be better than the iPhone by doing a better job of what apple does (I.e. controlling the software and hardware), rather, Google's aim is to open the market and change the way phones are bought, sold, and used. I really think apple should be scared. In a few swift moves, Google has really set up a powerful system that has garnered a lot of public interest lately.

There will be more than one nexus one type superphone, probably one made by Motorola. Google's aim is to provide amazing software that is open source and to push innovation along at a phenomenal pace by working closely with manufacturers on a few phones at a time. They want to outdo everyone else with their mobile software and proide a better experience by aligning their newest os upgrades with the latest technology and bring mobile phones to more people, all while keeping things open and give consumers more choices for top end phones.

Their whole belief system and what they are going for is actually extremely clever and innovative, and I think it will have a huge impact on the tech industry.

actrack03

Reaction score
I started a thread days ago about the fact that the Droid has two processors - one for the main CPU and then the GPU. The fact is that there is a big advantage is having a dedicated GPU on any machine. Look at computers - the better video card you have the faster everything runs.

Sure the Nexus has a Snapdragon but it does not have a dedicated GPU.

I would highly suspect that once we get 2.1 on the Droid it will run just as fast and have all of the features that the Nexus One has.

In fact we should look at this as a good thing since if the Droid and Nexus One are basically on par with one another we will get updates around the same time they do and since the Droid and the Nexus will be the MAJOR android phones in the near future we are guaranteed of bunches of great updates.

As one of you pointed out - Motorola and Verizon did not pump all of this money into the Droid without knowing what the future held. I would bet that they were told HTC would be coming out with this phone and made sure that it would hold it's own. Also remember that Google had a HUGE part in the design of the Droid. As far as Google is concerned the Droid was their coming out product and now the Nexus is just a continuation of that.

By the time we get concerned we aren't getting updated we will all have new phones anyway.

Also - what more can you really PUT on a cellphone? Sure the technology can get better. Faster processors, better screens... but just like computers you hit a point where you say - why bother upgrading to a new computer. I hit that point years ago - I'm still running XP and see no need for Windows 7. Most of the people I know are running even older hardware (since they call me when they have problems).

Quite honestly at this point I would still buy the Droid over the new Nexus One. I like having a keyboard and I like the design. I like the fact that Motorola built a beautiful black brick of a phone. I don't want another cheapo device like my Blackberry Curve...

As me in 3 or 6 months when there are 20 more phones on the market and I'll probably have a different answer. However one must ask - what more do you need the phone to do. Right now I can't think of much of anything.

I wouldn't write off any new capabilities being added to cell phones. I remember in 2002 this subject was brought up to my 400 level capstone business class in regards to cameras being added to cell phones becoming mainstream or not catching on at all. Now maybe I went to a school filled with idiots or it was due to the lack of knowledge of the technical abilities for this to become mainstream but the majority of the class and the professor himself came to the conclusion that it would never take off mostly because of the draining battery life at the time with use of the camera and the mindset of I have a digital camera for that. Well now it's 2010 and that conclusion couldn't be more inaccurate. My point is I don't see a limit as to what these devices will be able to do in the future. Who knows maybe it will make cable obsolete by integrating satellite television with an onboard projector in high resolution. Who knows what the future brings. Bottom line is that technology with these hand held devices(phones are no longer an accurate description) will be constantly improving every few months so something slightly better than what you have will be released. Thats what I see the N1 to be, slightly better than the Droid, and I'm not even convinced that it is better, only different.

raethryn

Reaction score
For me I invested in a Droid knowing that something like this would happen. The Nexus One (I have a friend at Google who is giving me updates) is the phone I wanted I just didn't want to wait for it. My Droid cost me less than $100 with my discounts. I knew very well I'd have to pay full price for the Nexus One if it came out. $530 is a good price to pay if Motorola continues to not have full multitouch support and 2.1. For me it's customer service and keepingup with technology.

I prefer my Droid over my wife's Eris for sure and I love the keyboard option. The faster fusion one with more memory and faster processor is nice but we'll see.

My concerns continue to be will we get 2.1 with full multi-touch support with the droid in the future and will I go through to a 3rd droid if my current 2nd phone bricks again. My 1st worked for 23 days then started rebooting.

Ug. So basically if Moto upgrades I'll stick with them. If they don't, $530 to go with the fusion one is ok by me.