Nexus root question

Grady

Reaction score
Will there be a way (possibly in the future) to root the Nexus like we did the Droid X? I recall when rooting my X it didn't wipe my phone. Or, will the current method out be the only way?

coverton341

Reaction score
This is just my guess on the issue, so take it as such, but I think since the bootloader needs to be unlocked in order to root and that (unlocking the bootloader) is what wipes out the data and not actually rooting, you won't be getting around that part. You could always just unlock the bootloader now and not root and possibly avoid deleting your data in the future.

Again, this is just my opinion and I could be completely off.

pool_shark

Reaction score
I'm wondering the same thing as the OP. We didn't have to unlock the bootloader to root the X or the D2, so I don't understand why this is different. It is my understanding that unlocking the bootloader is to have the ability to install new ROMs and such. Of course this could be the standard method for this type of device while the other methods were just for Motorola devices.

I have no interest in alternate ROMs, I just want root.

Last edited:

Reaction score
Not sure exactly how it worked but there must have been some sort of bootstrap used to circumvent the locked bl and allow root access. The advantage about the unlocked boot loader is that a new kernal may be flashed and not just a from built on one kernal alone. My guess is that there will be a one click solution but to I bet most rooms will have a custom kernal with them that will require the unlocked bootloader to allow the install.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
i think you need to unlock the phone first. reason being.. the root methods are setup based on an unlocked bootloader... when locked, theres trickery involved.. since you can unlock this bootloader, theres no need for trickery... so, in closing.. i dont think using the rooting methods here will do anything.. but hey.. you can try it i guess.

NewAge

XOOM Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Unless a dev is kind enough to package test and release another root method this is the only way. Its this way on all devices with an unlockable bootloader. It allows for more control and pretty much ensures you cant brick. But you can seriously screw things up. Its pretty painless, just slow down and knock it out. Ask questions if you get stuck.

craigboy

Reaction score
As I understand it xkape is correct, since this is a developer phone it is made to be unlocked. Meaning to root you don't have to do any strange things to the phone, just unlock it. That said, once you do it once you never have to do it again. You just set up your phone today, there can't be that much data on it. All of your apps and contacts will re-populate itself anyway.

NewAge

XOOM Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
And you can always "fastboot oem lock" to relock. You must be on stock firmware in order for it to be successful. Once we get a working recovery (may already be) everything goes back to normal and you flash ROMs, kernels, themes like normal in CWM. Or Kernel manager may bring Nexus support. Looks like Liberty is updating toolbox for ICS and CM9 should be around the corner. So git her done!

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
yes i just unlocked my phone about 20 minutes ago (was waiting for official cwm) was painless.. everything restored.. 20 minutes i went from stock to unlokced and completely restored

pool_shark

Reaction score
I did the process in the sticky. It was much easier than what I've read on other forums.