Nexus 9 Design & Type Cover Leaked

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
nexus-9-tablet-with-orange-typecover.jpeg

Unless the above tablet image is just a placeholder, we now have a clear image of the front of the HTC-made Nexus 9 Android tablet. As you can see, an image of a type cover case for the Nexus 9 has been leaked, and it is wrapped around what is likely the actual Nexus 9 tablet.

nexus-9-typecover-design-schematic.jpeg

If this type cover works well, Google's new Nexus tablet could compete on two fronts, fighting against both the Apple iPad and the Microsoft Surface product line. More than likely, this type cover will be an additional option, but it's possible the combined pricing of both will still be more affordable than the current Surface Pro 3 from Microsoft.

When you factor this in with the 64-bit NVIDIA Tegra K1 chipset, we have the makings of an ultra-high-end product. If Google sells it at a competitive price point, we could see them erode marketshare from both Apple and Microsoft.

Last edited:

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Looks like a winner...

Gremlin

Reaction score
Hope this helps HTC's profit lines.. as this tablet looks good..

Narsil

Silver Member
Reaction score
It's going to have a hard time truly competing with the Surface Pro 3 while running Android. Don't get me wrong; I love Android but the SP line is running full Windows 8.1. They're not even in the same league, OS-wise.

Briankbl

Reaction score
It's going to have a hard time truly competing with the Surface Pro 3 while running Android. Don't get me wrong; I love Android but the SP line is running full Windows 8.1. They're not even in the same league, OS-wise.
I know. I feel so bad for Surface owners.

Narsil

Silver Member
Reaction score
Android's native incapacity to run Visual Basic means that, while you CAN run very basic spreadsheets, you CANNOT run any spreadsheet with custom macros or complicated diagnostic capabilities.

Until that limitation is rectified, Android is absolutely unsuited for a large percentage of business users who use spreadsheets to manage resources and equipment. I would have ditched Windows three years ago or more if Android was up to the task, businesswise. Sadly, my Android devices are limited solely to making phone calls and entertainment.

As far as business goes, Windows wins, hands down. It's like a broken-down Yugo trying to take a McLaren P1 off the line. It's not even fair.

BTW, this is typed on my SP2: a tablet the size of my ASUS Transformer TF101 but has a 256GB SSD, 1.6GHz 4th-gen i5 processor, 8GB of RAM, WACOM-enabled touchscreen, and full-size USB3.0 port. I still think it wins, even with W8.1

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
Android's native incapacity to run Visual Basic means that, while you CAN run very basic spreadsheets, you CANNOT run any spreadsheet with custom macros or complicated diagnostic capabilities.

Until that limitation is rectified, Android is absolutely unsuited for a large percentage of business users who use spreadsheets to manage resources and equipment. I would have ditched Windows three years ago or more if Android was up to the task, businesswise. Sadly, my Android devices are limited solely to making phone calls and entertainment.

As far as business goes, Windows wins, hands down. It's like a broken-down Yugo trying to take a McLaren P1 off the line. It's not even fair.

BTW, this is typed on my SP2: a tablet the size of my ASUS Transformer TF101 but has a 256GB SSD, 1.6GHz 4th-gen i5 processor, 8GB of RAM, WACOM-enabled touchscreen, and full-size USB3.0 port. I still think it wins, even with W8.1

I tend to agree. I ditched my Nexus 7 for the Asus TA100 tablet. quad core Intel CPU, full Win8.1 and Office installed, came with keyboard dock, 64GB SSD, MicroSD slot, HDMI, MicroUSB and a full USB 3.0 port, for $399.

Hard to beat no matter how you look at it. I can run all my windows apps, even some games, full MS Office, etc... Use it as a tablet, or a mini laptop, etc...

There wasn't an Android tablet on the market, at any price, that could come close to this thing...

I don't see an Android tablet playing Crysis or letting me do real work on it...

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score

Android isn't even in the game until it goes 64-bit. And it needs 4 gigs ram, preferrably 8, to suit the business user....but the top Android devices have only 3 gigs of ram.

Narsil

Silver Member
Reaction score
I would truly love to see Android able to run VBA code and I'd love to see it running on some spankin' hot processors. It does run mighty nicely on my Shield Tablet with the K1, though.

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
Dual boot tablets are best of both worlds!

Well, then you have two OS's to maintain, update, etc... Plus it takes up space on what is already prime real estate storage...

I would rather have one device and OS that can do everything, and right now, that means a Windows 8.1 tablet. Real Windows, not that CE crap...

Android is great, customization, but all it really DOES on a tablet is Android specific apps and games, which are usually watered down version of Windows or OSX.

When I can install Steam and just play regular Windows games... that's cool. I will take Crysis over Angry Birds any day. :)

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I would rather have one device and OS that can do everything, and right now, that means a Windows 8.1 tablet. Real Windows, not that CE crap...

It wouldn't be terribly difficult to maintain two OS's (Android updates about 3-4 times a year, Windows obviously "constantly")...IF you had storage - which is cheap, but apparently intentionally withheld in the Android tablet space. Maybe split a 128gig SSD between the two OS's, and then you could share a 256gig SD card (which are as cheap as $120) for file storage.

But the SP3 is solid....More powerful than most ultrabooks, and actually a fair bit cheaper than comparable high-end ones. I'm looking at that as a replacement for my ultrabook, but still would prefer a smaller tablet with Android for actual tablet "use".

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
It wouldn't be terribly difficult to maintain two OS's (Android updates about 3-4 times a year, Windows obviously "constantly")...IF you had storage - which is cheap, but apparently intentionally withheld in the Android tablet space. Maybe split a 128gig SSD between the two OS's, and then you could share a 256gig SD card (which are as cheap as $120) for file storage.

But the SP3 is solid....More powerful than most ultrabooks, and actually a fair bit cheaper than comparable high-end ones. I'm looking at that as a replacement for my ultrabook, but still would prefer a smaller tablet with Android for actual tablet "use".

The question becomes, what can Android do on a tablet that Windows cannot? That's my point, that while Android is a fine OS for tablets, when full blown Windows is available at a similar price point, why not just use Windows?

Trust me, I am an Android fanboi, but in this case Windows does everything that Android does, plus a lot more...

And I really want an SP3, but can't spend that much on a tablet right now.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
The question becomes, what can Android do on a tablet that Windows cannot?

I haven't used the Windows tablet app store, but I think Android has a lot more refined and useful widgets/apps (especially widgets, I'm guessing).

Windows and all its programs are fine. But I like my widgets in Android for a tablet.

And there's the fact that 12" is much too large for a tablet, and on the very small side for a laptop. I just want to do basic (but more advanced than current) Office tasks/work on a MOBILE (read: 8-9") tablet. I think an Android tablet can potentially "upbridge" the phone/laptop gap more than the SP3 can "downbridge" that gap.