Nexus 5 Possibly Spotted in FCC Filing; LG D820 with Snapdragon 800 & 5-Inch Display

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
LG-D820-FCC-wireless-charging-cover.png

Just a few days ago Google announced that the next iteration of Android would be 4.4 and would be called KitKat. At the same time they launched a video of Googlers erecting the KitKat Android statue in front of Google HQ. The most intriguing thing in the video turned out to be a brief moment in which you can see two Googlers taking pics with an unreleased Nexus phone of some kind. This obviously lead to the speculation that this was in fact the Nexus 5 which we might be seeing very soon this Fall.

Now there is more fuel to add this Nexus 5 speculative fire. An FCC filing from LG for a previously unannounced device just passed muster. The device in the filing is called the LG D820 and it comes packed with a Snapdragon 800 processor from Qualcomm and a 5-inch display. That's not all the evidence. As you can see in the pics of above, the general shape and positioning of the camera lines up perfectly with the Nexus devices we saw in the Google video. It seems almost obvious that this will be the next generation Nexus smartphone.

Here are a few more details shared from the FCC filing:
  • NFC
  • Qi wireless charging
  • Unusual assortment of radios - supported networks: T-Mobile, AT&T, and Sprint (HSPA, CDMA, LTE) with the usual pentaband GSM radios — no mention of Verizon’s LTE (Band 13)
  • 2,300mAh battery
What do you think of these clues? Does it seem likely to you that we are seeing the first glimpses of the next Nexus?

Source: Phandroid

Asgard

Reaction score
Battery cover is not supposed to be removed...
Why? So far the only acceptable reason to have a fixed battery is if it is waterproof like the new sony line

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
I would have a tough time going with a smaller display and a REALLY tough time going back to a small battery. Plugging in every day and a half to two days rules! :biggrin:

b-jammin21

Reaction score
I would have a tough time going with a smaller display and a REALLY tough time going back to a small battery. Plugging in every day and a half to two days rules! :biggrin:

Which phone do you get that great of battery life with? This is something that has become extremely important to me. I like my GNex but it's beginning to lag like crazy and the battery life is terrible. I charge AT MINIMUM 2-3 times every day, and my battery lasts 8ish hours at best.

I hope you aren't talking about the Note, though. I can't stand the idea of carrying around a big screen HDTV in my pocket all day...

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
Which phone do you get that great of battery life with? This is something that has become extremely important to me. I like my GNex but it's beginning to lag like crazy and the battery life is terrible. I charge AT MINIMUM 2-3 times every day, and my battery lasts 8ish hours at best.

I hope you aren't talking about the Note, though. I can't stand the idea of carrying around a big screen HDTV in my pocket all day...

It's the Note! The phone really isnt that big, it's pretty thin and light...far from an HDTV

jeems

Reaction score

Unfortunately, his member info says note 2 and not many phones with a screen larger than 5". I agree with you though about the gnex. I'm itching for a new phone. I make it most of the days on 1 charge, but it does seem laggy.

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
I came from the Nexus which I loved. I just put an aosp themed rom on the Note and it's a WAY better and WAY badder version of the GNex! Dont fight it, ignite it! :D

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
Well that pretty much seals it for me, down to LGG2 or Sony.

WestOkid

Reaction score
The battery may not be that bad. Qualcomm has a new chip that get's maximum efficiency out of the LTE radio. It's in the Note 3. It promises 25% better overall battery efficiency. The S3 has a 2100mah battery and can easily get through a day. If this uses Qualcomm's new chip (and it should since it's using the 800), and a 2300mah battery, then this phone should last at least 30% longer than an S3. Thanks to a new chip, the Galaxy Note 3?s huge screen won?t kill its battery ? Tech News and Analysis

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
The battery may not be that bad. Qualcomm has a new chip that get's maximum efficiency out of the LTE radio. It's in the Note 3. It promises 25% better overall battery efficiency. The S3 has a 2100mah battery and can easily get through a day. If this uses Qualcomm's new chip (and it should since it's using the 800), and a 2300mah battery, then this phone should last at least 30% longer than an S3. Thanks to a new chip, the Galaxy Note 3?s huge screen won?t kill its battery ? Tech News and Analysis

Battery life isn't so much the reason, it's that it pretty much confirms it won't be coming to Verizon as all of us feared.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
It's the Note! The phone really isnt that big, it's pretty thin and light...far from an HDTV

Only way to make my n2 better is to give me a n3 Google edition which I doubt will happen. 3 gigs of ram without the bloat...oh that would be beast. Still I love my n2 and look to keeping it another year. I may buy the n4 but who knows man Motorola may make a beast phablet with an awesome camera and killer specs that is not locked down like ft. Knox. But until that happen sammy has my attention.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I wonder when the new ram chips will start appearing in phones - I believe they can stack up to 8gigs on the same footprint as the 2gig chips. Mass production starts at the end of the year, but 4gigs is the limit for 32-bit Android, but 64-bit ARM systems are coming out.

Also, Samsung just started mass producing the 3D vertical nand chips - which could mean up to 384gigs of internal storage in about the same footprint as a 16gig chip.

I think we could see a truly beastly phone by the end of 2014, or at least tablets. Whether that comes to fruition depends on cost and whether OEM's are willing to deviate from the $600-$700 range for retail pricing ($200-$300 on contract).

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
I wonder when the new ram chips will start appearing in phones - I believe they can stack up to 8gigs on the same footprint as the 2gig chips. Mass production starts at the end of the year, but 4gigs is the limit for 32-bit Android, but 64-bit ARM systems are coming out.

Also, Samsung just started mass producing the 3D vertical nand chips - which could mean up to 384gigs of internal storage in about the same footprint as a 16gig chip.

I think we could see a truly beastly phone by the end of 2014, or at least tablets. Whether that comes to fruition depends on cost and whether OEM's are willing to deviate from the $600-$700 range for retail pricing ($200-$300 on contract).

Wow would I like to have all of that in my pocket!!