Next Version of Google Hangouts Might Eliminate SMS/MMS Messages Feature [Rumor]

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I would think Messenger will take over as being the goto for GV numbers. I'd like to think they're not completely killing off GV, though, what do I know?

IIGood

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S6
Didn't know Messenger existed. I switched to using Hangouts as my texting app 2 devices ago, on the Galaxy Nexus. I figured if everything is Android/Google based on there, why not use a Google app for texting. I don't really use it for anything else besides texting though as nobody I know really uses Hangouts otherwise (hardly anyone I know utilizes Google).

Maybe I'll give Messenger a whirl and see how that compares, especially since SMS could be going away on Hangouts.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
I don't want 2 apps that can do the same thing installed. I'm a minimalist.

Anyone who works on cars or homes will tell you: always have the right tool for the job.

I have 3 texting apps, 3 email apps, 2 browsers.

Minimalistt, schminimalist... I didn't get a flagship to treat it tenderly. :D :D

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Anyone who works on cars or homes will tell you: always have the right tool for the job.

Minimalistt, schminimalist... I didn't get a flagship to treat it tenderly. :D :D
I work on all my cars. I buy the correct tool for the job. I don't need 5 sets of half inch wrenches, unless I break one.

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel

Redundancy!!! :)

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Gmail is great for: Gmail. Not so great for Exchange. So I use the inbuilt account for that.
I want to keep work separate from play, so I use Type for my other 2 personal accounts.

Hangouts is great for: Hangouts. I have 10 different Hangouts. One has 80 people in it and another has 60. I don't want that mixing with my: SMS.
8SMS. Hands down the best I've tried. Yatta is close.
And Signal for me and my 4 closest friends who all use Signal.
Chrome for most browsing, FF any times Chrome screws up.

Different tools for different jobs.

IIGood

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S6
I've loaded Messenger on my phone and so far it's pretty good. One thing I really like it for over Hangouts is that if I'm on the conversation screen of someone, ANY time a text message arrives, I get a notification sound. Hangouts wouldn't do that if I was right on the screen of the conversation...I would have to back out at least to the list of conversations before I'd received an audio notification of an arriving message.

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
I've loaded Messenger on my phone and so far it's pretty good. One thing I really like it for over Hangouts is that if I'm on the conversation screen of someone, ANY time a text message arrives, I get a notification sound. Hangouts wouldn't do that if I was right on the screen of the conversation...I would have to back out at least to the list of conversations before I'd received an audio notification of an arriving message.
Messenger is great. I also like how you can archive messages w/o having to delete them.