Next Version of Google Hangouts Might Eliminate SMS/MMS Messages Feature [Rumor]

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
google-hangouts.jpg

While many of us don't use Google Hangouts as their SMS/MMS messaging app of choice, there are still a great number of folks out there who do. If the latest rumor is true, those who use Hangouts for text messaging could be in for a rude surprise.

The intel suggests that Google will remove the (carrier/native) SMS/MMS features from Google Hangouts in the next update to the app. This would mean that Google will officially separate that functionality into Hangouts and the Google Messenger App. The good news about that is that Messenger is actually a well rounded and is a more fleshed out SMS/texting app, so it shouldn't be too difficult of a transition for most folks.

Here at HQ, most of us already use Messenger separate from Hangouts anyway. How about you folks?

We will keep an eye out for confirmation of this. Feel free to post it here if you find it before us.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I was using Hangouts for a LONG time as my texting app. I figured, if I was going to have it installed for the occasional Hangouts message, why not let it serve a bigger purpose?

But, since I got the 6P, I've been using Messenger. It serves me just as well as Hangouts ever did, if not better. I definitely like it more than I did when I initially tried it and decided to stick with Hangouts. I hope they intend to add the Android Wear support that Hangouts got a little while ago. Being able to bring up a conversation for a quick look/reply on the watch without digging my phone out was something I wanted for a long time and like when they implemented it in Hangouts.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
What??? Nooo, I just went back to hangouts. More of my friends are using hangouts now and not texting.

djkms

Reaction score
Can someone explain to me how this would work? I use a google voice number as my main number. 95% of all my calls are through GV using hangouts and all my texts are sent/received with my GV number and hangouts. Does this possible change mean that I will still have GV text abilities I will just have to use another app or??

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
I've personally never used Hangouts for sms/mms. I actually only use Hangouts with a few co-workers.

Messenger by Google has been my sms app since it launched back in Nov. 2014.

Vepaot

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G5 (LS992)
I used Voice for a long time, then they said they were stopping Voice and adding the SMS component to Hangouts...now they're moving it again? Damn you Google, make up your mind. You're more fickle than my imaginary girlfriend.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I don't want 2 apps that can do the same thing installed. I'm a minimalist.

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Yeah, not thrilled with this either. Been relying on GV's free texting since forever (I'm even an original GrandCentral user before Google acquired them). Definitely Hangouts is my home of choice, even now that I have unlimited texting on my line and don't need the free option any more.

Just out of pure self-interest, I'm calling this rumor WRONG! LOL

Oh, completely forgot to ask: @dgstorm, what's the source for the rumor?

-Matt