Newbie seeking Knowledge!

killa_beatz

Reaction score
Hello, I purchased my first smart phone a few weeks ago the Droid X and have been amazed at what it can do. I've always been a fan of hacking ..umm.. i mean customizing...phones since the old school Motorola days..lol I've been reading the forums daily for the past few weeks and I'm amazed at some of the things you guys have been able to do.. I want in!...lol

My goal is to successfully root w/ out bricking my phone and then learn about the custom ROMs... I would appreciate any help to get me started... I hears about z4root but can no longer find it in the market.

look forward to hearing from everyone and contributing to the community as well.

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have an apk of z4 for this user! Lol. Do your research before rooting...there is a rescue sqaud section if things get messed up. I love root! But b careful. Custom roms are so much better than stock.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
OP
killa_beatz

killa_beatz

Reaction score
Thanks guys for the warm welcome. I was just reading a guide that had several different ways too root. Is there a best way?

Ok I got the Z4 apk file from the developers site.. Now how do i load it on the phone to run it?

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
Connect the X to your computer via USB (mass storage mode), drag and drop the file onto the SD card...safely eject the X from the computer. Use a file manager program like Astro, find the file (unzip if need - long press, select extract) - open file, run app manager, install...

OP
killa_beatz

killa_beatz

Reaction score
Thanks Smalltowngirl! I'm officially rooted now... Now whats the next step? I'm thinking backup first then start deleting the bloatware. correct

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
Thanks Smalltowngirl! I'm officially rooted now... Now whats the next step? I'm thinking backup first then start deleting the bloatware. correct

Please do not delete anything - it can cause you more headache down the road. There is an app in the market called Titanium Backup that allows you to "freeze" the bloatware which will keep it from starting up. Here is a link from the X forums - check it out, great info... Removing the Bloat 2.2 OTA - (3 Ways) Super Easy & Safe, Safe & Easy, Free

And yes, backups are good :)...